HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:46 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,090 Posts
Discussion
Motor gliders as trainers.

I don't understand why so many beginners want start their hobby with a fast model.
Why not consider a motor glider? After the Champ, I have learned a lot with my motor gliders. I started with a Radian, then a Nine Eagles Sky surfer, for aileron training. Now I fly with a Easy Glider Elektro, with success. I have also build a Sig Riser 100, also a nice flyer, with 2 channels and spoilers.
There are many low price motor gliders out there, and they are often good fliers. Motor gliders often float in the air, and give you time to correct, if you got into finger trouble. It also great fun, hunting thermals, and you can have a long flight time on one battery. I use to bring a garbage bag to the field, but I don't need it so often any longer. I really have become a better Pilot with motor gliders. Gliders don't need to be boring, my ST Blaze, give me more than enough speed and excitement.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:56 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,462 Posts
I think motor gliders are not often used because beginners want "power". Personally, I also feel they are more tricky than a well-set-up glow or electric trainer because you have to hand-launch them and their flight time depends to a great extent on weather conditions and can be very limited if there's no lift. So "training" will be a series of climbs and landings, without any meaningful time practising circuits and getting used to the left/right coming/going differences in level flight.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:15 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
I'd second ArneHu's idea.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
As I said in the other post, I rather to have a radian or a easy star as my first real plane, I bought the Champ becasue the price is just couldn't stop you to put money on the table. Anyhow a motor glider is a no brainer, very easy to fly and can tolerate a little bit over control input, to keep it in the sky is easlier than many other plane. The only problem I have encounter is once the plane hit a thermal, to bring it down is a lot of effort. Another plus of a motored glider is you sometimes fly more than half an hour for just a single charge of the battery.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,090 Posts
One of the best thing with our hobby, is all the opportunities. You can fly a screaming Jet or, Cruise around. I like the feeling of using the nature's forces to fly. Just like I learned Seamanship aboard in a old Sail-ship.
Last edited by ArneHu; Mar 12, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:48 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
970 Posts
I learned a LONG time ago that if you catch a real good thermo and it gets hard to get it down ~~~ try just putting the plane in a fairly tight turn with a slight bit of down elev. , don't try to force it down, that's just a fight.

I also like gliders as trainers, but , in todays world if it can't come out of the box and fly fast right now , it doesn't qualify . "Stop and smell the roses." ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:48 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I learned to fly on a Gentle Lady, whose only power plant was a hi-start. I used to get up to 10 minute flights in the summer with that thing.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
easily confused
Nashville Metro, Tennessee, United States
Joined Sep 2003
2,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedStik View Post
I learned to fly on a Gentle Lady, whose only power plant was a hi-start. I used to get up to 10 minute flights in the summer with that thing.
We're in the same lodge!

I learned to fly on a Goldberg Gentle Lady myself, flying from the Sheep Meadow in New York City's Central Park in the late 1970s. I'd go early to beat the crowds, set up and have at it. I've actually never used a full size hi-start, I used a Craft Air Upstart...very portable.

The nostalgia factor is one reason I'm looking forward to the upcoming ASK-21 with its mini hi start. A lot fancier than my Monokote covered 2 channel Gentle Lady, but of course nothing will ever replace the fun of my first successful R/C venture.
mu2freighter is offline Find More Posts by mu2freighter
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,090 Posts
My first Rc experience, was a Graupner Filou. Silk covered, one channel. And nice build of my late Father. The beautiful glider is now hanging from the roof, in a Pizza restaurant in a shopping mall. I don't know how it ended up there. I think my Mother gave it away to a Flea Market.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:27 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,419 Posts
I still have a partial built GL in storage, not sure what I'm waiting on to finish the build, but I'm considering mounting an electric motor, folding prop, and using 2S lipo pack for power. That should replace my hi-start.

I miss that glider.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:19 PM
USA, AK, Anchorage
Joined Nov 2005
479 Posts
I just helped the wife finish her gl for her and my son. Its epowered om 3s and a folder. Just test flew it sunday and other than being tail heavy it flew good. Still needs a little tweaking but its good so far. I had one 15yrs ago when i was younger
olds455 is offline Find More Posts by olds455
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:43 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
gliders have a long history of being first R/C aircraft. its not a new idea. the most successful way to learn R/C on your own without tearing anything up is to grab a classic old thermal glider. most will fly 30-60 minutes without abusing thermals or wind on a simple 3s2k pack.

beware of tight turns with non glassed gliders. you'll fold wings in half a heartbeat.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
968 Posts
I agree with Arhehu OP.Lots of us like the thought of flying a warbird, but just learning to fly is satisfying, and the wrong plane doesn't give you enough stick time.Get a 3 channel powered sailplane, pratice figure 8s, spot landing, orientation, then get the warbird.It'll be cheaper in the long run, and more fun, as you will REALLY know how to fly.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:23 AM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
I must agree with what I've read so far. I learned to fly with a Wanderer and still fly one today. It is now epowered and an 1800 2s lipo pack can keep it up for well over 30 minutes. I currently have a Sig Riser 100 on the building table and lighting it up for night flying. I liked the Wanderer so much I built a twin version of it. I have the prop jets, warbirds, and trainers but always resort to the powered gliders to finish the day.
Bob
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Motor gliders can teach all you need to know about aircraft attitude and it's effect on the planes aerodynamics. flying near stall speed as well as energy management..When you can't rely on sheer power to get out of trouble you tend to become a better pilot..
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates