Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,257 Posts
You'd just run your power and ground straight from Rx to servo (normal 3 wire servo leads), and
then separate off the signal wire from those leads, and run it through the OSD from the Rx and
back to the servos.

I still think you should first try bypassing the OSD with your video signal wire, and make sure
that the noise is really coming from the OSD and isn't transmitted some other way (could
be induction due to other wires close to each other).

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
You'd just run your power and ground straight from Rx to servo (normal 3 wire servo leads), and
then separate off the signal wire from those leads, and run it through the OSD from the Rx and
back to the servos.

I still think you should first try bypassing the OSD with your video signal wire, and make sure
that the noise is really coming from the OSD and isn't transmitted some other way (could

ian
just tried it without the OSD, it works fine except when i throttle up there are small lines in the video but its not as severe as the ones with the OSD
Taiping is offline Find More Posts by Taiping
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:31 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts
Quote:
back to the servos.

ian
I just tried to separate the power for the servo and rx, but I'm still getting the static in the video, heres part of my wiring diagram
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiping View Post
I just tried to separate the power for the servo and rx, but I'm still getting the static in the video, heres part of my wiring diagram
Keep things like this and then take the ground from your OSD and tie it right where your Vtx and cam grounds are.

-Hugo
Hugeone is offline Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts
so connect the ground from the cam and vtx into the osd?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:49 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
I had the same deal with the jumping OSD text... no lines - just the osd. It was a ground issue...
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,017 Posts
No, I assume your OSD is powered by the Rx, keep + to the RX, but disconnect - and connect it where the Vtx and Cam are grounded (filter). Now imagine the current going out of the OSD to reach the batt -. Does it ever "mix" with pulsed current form servos along the way? It should not.

-Hugo
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
I had the same deal with the jumping OSD text... no lines - just the osd. It was a ground issue...
how did you solve it?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:57 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
No, I assume your OSD is powered by the Rx, keep + to the RX, but disconnect - and connect it where the Vtx and Cam are grounded (filter). Now imagine the current going out of the OSD to reach the batt -. Does it ever "mix" with pulsed current form servos along the way? It should not.

-Hugo
I thought that the OSD is powered via the elogger (batteries)
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:03 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,257 Posts
Ya, generally the OSD is usually powered by the current sensor. You didn't show that connection
in your first diagram, and I suppose that could create a ground loop, given the way the Rx power
also was going through OSD before, via the servo leads. If you still get OSD overlay
when your servo power/ground bypassing the OSD (per last diagram) then obviously
it is getting power/ground from elsewhere, and there should no longer be a ground loop.
Since the problem didn't go away though, the OSD clearly is still not happy about something.

Any OSD that connects to Rx and servos really complicates the wiring and filtering.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts
Quote:
Ya, generally the OSD is usually powered by the current sensor. (You didn't show that connection
in your first diagram).

ian
right, so i wouldn't connect the - from the rx to the filter?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,017 Posts
If you have power coming from your Rx to the OSD, the OSD will choose power from the Rx.

-Hugo
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:09 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
If you have power coming from your Rx to the OSD, the OSD will choose power from the Rx.

-Hugo
In his last diagram, he does not.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2009
282 Posts
any ideas? i kept the video signal to th osd and unplugged everything else and its fine, the text will only move when the servos/esc has a signal
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:34 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,257 Posts
And only when the servo signals are going through the OSD?
Have you tried different servos?

ian
RCG Plus Member