HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:20 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Question
Anyone vacuum forming thrust tubes?

Normally I would use paper to make the thrust tube, but for my Zipper, the tube will be visible. The paper tubes aren't aesthetically pleasing, but work because they are hidden. A printed tube is too heavy which is why I didn't bother. To bring the weight down would result in a fragile and potentially warped structure.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to custom form one for me. I'ld send one my shrouds (24mm) and matching impeller as a trade for service. Only two of these shrouds have been created and these should be my best so far.

I should get the shrouds by Tuesday.

Kev
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:29 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
BIM, if you are willing to you can use some 1mm GP Pro-formance foam rolled over a dowel, etc. wrap in damp paper towel and micro wave on high for 10-15 sec. works great! exceptionally light. Slit lenght wise and use uhu or beacons 3n1 contact glue to but join edges.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
What about paper and glass resin over a foam core, dissolve the foam once it is cured. Otherwise I suggest making a plug and sending it to Darthdrk and see if he would add it to some waste material when he is making a heli canopy/body:
http://darthdrk.4t.com/ email is on that page or try a PM here on RCG.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:34 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
BIM, if you are willing to you can use some 1mm GP Pro-formance foam rolled over a dowel, etc. wrap in damp paper towel and micro wave on high for 10-15 sec. works great! exceptionally light. Slit lenght wise and use uhu or beacons 3n1 contact glue to but join edges.
I remember writing a tutorial on just that. And then I found out there were others before me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
What about paper and glass resin over a foam core, dissolve the foam once it is cured. Otherwise I suggest making a plug and sending it to Darthdrk and see if he would add it to some waste material when he is making a heli canopy/body:
http://darthdrk.4t.com/ email is on that page or try a PM here on RCG.
That's a good idea, but I wouldn't want to waste his time on something like this.

Someone may already be taking care of this.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:53 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
I don't think he would consider it a waste of time, it's worth a PM especially if you start getting a lot of orders for the fan assembly.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:12 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by village_idiot View Post
I don't think he would consider it a waste of time, it's worth a PM especially if you start getting a lot of orders for the fan assembly.
No one is going to want these fans. They cost too much: maybe 5 times the price of my MDF25. They would only be used in all out builds.

single
twin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:05 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,068 Posts
Erm.. isn't your ' zipper' simply a flat depron piece effort?
Passing Odd that you would consider a simple cheap/easy rolled paper tube as 'declasse'.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:16 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
No. It's a laminated double layer shaped ogival delta with a forward fuse containing a recessed electronics bay, and is powered by a ducted fan on a pod. The leading edges are to rounded while the trail edges will be tapered.

Ya I just went there.

Blame a guy for wanting to be clean... What makes a foam model any less deserving than a fiberglass or carbon fiver model? If I wasn't going all out on it, then I would just put an ar6400 and one of my cheaper shrouds on it.
RCG Plus Member