HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:21 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
Trader Rating: 79
Discussion
Potential Buyers Test Flying Planes...

I just got into a situation where a potential buyer wanted to test fly a plane that I am selling.. Well it was pretty windy and I asked him if he is familiar with the 9X TX (Turnigy) and he told me that he never flew a model plane - so he was an absolute beginner. Well the plane is a beginner plane but still.. I denied him with the result that he walked away kind of angry.

Well, what is your experience? I usually have a no-fly rule since I have no idea of the skill level of potential buyers.. I could end up with a broken plane and the buyer blames it of course on the plane.
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:25 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,346 Posts
Trader Rating: 140
I had a guy walk up to me in the park I was flying at oneday,not a kid but a man.He asked me if he could try it,I told him sure,just let me have the keys to your car and I will test drive that while you fly my plane.....he walked away mad also...go figure!
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
I just got into a situation where a potential buyer wanted to test fly a plane that I am selling.. Well it was pretty windy and I asked him if he is familiar with the 9X TX (Turnigy) and he told me that he never flew a model plane - so he was an absolute beginner. Well the plane is a beginner plane but still.. I denied him with the result that he walked away kind of angry.

Well, what is your experience? I usually have a no-fly rule since I have no idea of the skill level of potential buyers.. I could end up with a broken plane and the buyer blames it of course on the plane.
I would fly it for him to show its airworthy. No way I would have handed over the controls to someone that stated they had never flown before. Even an experienced flyer would have probably been satisfied with a good look over of the aircraft and then to see you fly it.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:31 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,871 Posts
Trader Rating: 79
Oh yeah, I did this first and then he wanted to take over.
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
Quote:
Oh yeah, I did this first and then he wanted to take over.
He did you a favor by walking away. Anyone that would insist on flying someone elses item when they havent even learned to fly yet is an idiot. He would have most likely destroyed it within minutes and then claimed it was defective. I think you dodged a bullet on this one
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
922 Posts
Trader Rating: 67
I ask for a deposit if people ask to fly my stuff, I have one buddy that has more money than sence, I've let him fly a few of my foamies under the rule of you crash you buy me a new one, no matter how bad the damage. He crashed one and payed right then, but strangers get told to giver a deposit for the cost of the plane new, if I feel they can handle it. I'd never let a newb try and fly something other than an aeroace or similar toy.
Garrett
Garrett1234567 is offline Find More Posts by Garrett1234567
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
922 Posts
Oh, and when i tell them the cost, they never take me up on it. I wonder why??
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Trader Rating: 148
General rule is if you crash someone elses plane, you pay for it. Plain and simple. Now if you dont know that person and know of their ability to pay, or fly... Thats a no go!

Now if you crash into someones plane while flying your plane, best thing to do is laugh your arses off and collect the pieces

You could always buddy box if you had the equipment/time but thats a whole nother story!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:54 PM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
922 Posts
Speaking of mid airs, I was flying my Gaui 330 a while back, had it in a hands off hover 40 ft high and 75 ft in front of me. My buddy is a few hundred ft up with his 30" full fuse edge 540 foamie. He comes down In a power dive, pulls out at 40ft and full power across the field. Niether of us saw the other and he plastered my 330, all my motors had quik connects on them, the motors flew off in ever direction and the quad fell out of the sky like a dead duck, his foamie exploded on impact. I picked my pieces up, snapped the motor plates back in, hooked them up and was flying in 10 min, we couldn't stop laughing for a long time.
Where's the camera when you need it.
Garrett
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Trader Rating: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett1234567 View Post
Speaking of mid airs, I was flying my Gaui 330 a while back, had it in a hands off hover 40 ft high and 75 ft in front of me. My buddy is a few hundred ft up with his 30" full fuse edge 540 foamie. He comes down In a power dive, pulls out at 40ft and full power across the field. Niether of us saw the other and he plastered my 330, all my motors had quik connects on them, the motors flew off in ever direction and the quad fell out of the sky like a dead duck, his foamie exploded on impact. I picked my pieces up, snapped the motor plates back in, hooked them up and was flying in 10 min, we couldn't stop laughing for a long time.
Where's the camera when you need it.
Garrett
Hahaha thats awesome! As much as it sucks, its bound to happen with 1 or more planes in the air. I put my my brand new foamy that I waited 2 weeks for, kit build, took me 5+ hours to build it. I literally flew to the end of the gym, noticed I needed to trim and started to hover in our "hover zone" (corner of the court for 3d type stuff, 1 plane at a time) and this guy brings his umx beast 3d RIPPING through there and shreds my foamy The look on his face was of sheer horror as he thought I was going to murder him but I literally just started dieing laughing. Its all you can do!
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
USA, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jun 2007
922 Posts
It truly is funny, my buddy thought I was going to kill him cause I had only had the quad a few weeks. His plane was completely destroyed, I new mine was fine cause I had crashes it a few times before that and new the motors would just pop out. I felt bad for him, he really liked that edge, but it was great for a laugh.

On another note, I was flying his brothers edge, same plane( parkflyers.com edge 540) I was tearing up the sky, came into a power dive and when I pulled it up, the wings buckled at the fuse. I thought he'd be mad, but when I looked at him he was on the ground rolling laughing. Good times.
Garrett
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett1234567 View Post
I ask for a deposit if people ask to fly my stuff, I have one buddy that has more money than sence, I've let him fly a few of my foamies under the rule of you crash you buy me a new one, no matter how bad the damage. He crashed one and payed right then, but strangers get told to giver a deposit for the cost of the plane new, if I feel they can handle it. I'd never let a newb try and fly something other than an aeroace or similar toy.
Garrett
THIS...is the answer.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
Plane and Heli Abuser
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Aug 2010
432 Posts
Trader Rating: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky View Post
I had a guy walk up to me in the park I was flying at oneday,not a kid but a man.He asked me if he could try it,I told him sure,just let me have the keys to your car and I will test drive that while you fly my plane.....he walked away mad also...go figure!

Priceless!!! Never had it happen to me. Once in a while, I fly smaller planes at the local high school soccer field, if I bring EDF(s) they will draw watchers with some that will come up and ask questions.
Pilot in MO is offline Find More Posts by Pilot in MO
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:07 AM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
I've had plenty of kids ask if they can fly my plane. I say " Sorry, no. I know I make it look easy but it took me a long time to learn and if I let you try you will crash it in seconds.". They're usually not happy. I don't blame them though. They just don't know better. This could have been the potential buyer's problem.
I try to carry some chuck gliders when I fly at the park. Give them away to interested/curious kids. To spark an interest in the hobby when I can.

-David-
D W is online now Find More Posts by D W
Old Mar 12, 2012, 07:48 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,916 Posts
Trader Rating: 234
Quote:

The only people that I let fly any of my planes are those that I know their skill level and that they would take care of me if they crash.

That being said, I do carry a buddy box with me, so if I total newb approaches me and wants to give it a go, I'll take it up and let him at it. The last thing I would want to do is belittle a person with an interest in the hobby. All it takes is one really good experience to get them hooked, or one bad one to turn them away forever.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member