Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:49 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Discussion
Anyone using EZCAP?

Is anyone using EZCap to record there FPV flights? I just started using it and was wondering if there was a trick to getting a smoother video from it. Right now it kind of studders a bit when you play it back.
Thanks
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:43 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
No one is using EZCap?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
I used it a couple of times when I first got into FPV although I soon realised that it wasent worth carrying a heavy laptop around just to use it to record video. On top of that on many occasions the ezcap software crashed half way through probably because of the large avi files it exports. A dedicated DVR is lighter, smaller, quicker to setup and pain free so I ditched the ezcap and got a DVR.

I personally havent had that problem. It could be because of the heavy file type but it also could of happened when you were actually recording. There is virtualdub which you can aparently use to record too although I only used that for video monitoring.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:34 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Thanks for the info, what DVR are you using?
Here is a short clip from today, it is very choppy.
Quadcopter Test video (0 min 39 sec)
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
512 Posts
I used EZCap as I am sure many others have. When I have time (which I don't see happening) I would like to get the Raspberry Pi to record vid in.
CheckSum is online now Find More Posts by CheckSum
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:58 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
quality does not go with ezcrap
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:25 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,321 Posts
ezcap + virtualdub + uncompressed AVIs = lots of hdd space required and good recording quality.
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro View Post
Thanks for the info, what DVR are you using?
Here is a short clip from today, it is very choppy.
I'm using the archos AV500, I wouldent recommend it though considering the DVRs out these days. I currently have twitchy fingers over the FPV japan DVR. Its the best out there other than the ridiculously priced lawmate PV1000.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
46 Posts
I sorta use ez-cap. I bought that cheap china usb a/v adapter and tie that into the video out from my Aiptek video camera that I use as my DVR. I don't have another LCD monitor for my ground station yet, so the laptop suffices as a second monitor for other people to watch via the usb capture.
rotaryboots is offline Find More Posts by rotaryboots
Last edited by rotaryboots; Mar 12, 2012 at 03:01 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:49 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,360 Posts
I tried easycap with my netbook with every freeware vid capture app out there and all were terrible. The problem wasn't really the dongle but s/w. All of them are designed for transferring video from vcr to digital and don't support smooth full screen realtime video & audio along with low cpu usage compression.

Finally I tried the startech svid2usb2 and the free grabbee software that came with it is great. My netbook has only a 1.6ghz atrom cpu and it plays full screen video with audio, and captures with compression realtime. The dongle also works with virtualdub (easycap didn't) but the app needs a lot more processing power to compress and display the same live feed while grabbee makes light work of it. BTW, grabbee is free for d/l but only works with startech dongles; not easycap.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Jun 2011
46 Posts
...Adobe Premier has a capture feature that I use.
rotaryboots is offline Find More Posts by rotaryboots
Old Mar 14, 2012, 07:51 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Hello!

I use EasyCap and VirtualDub to record and view at the same time. By trying different settings, you can come up with a combination that allows you to view with very little latency, and record a compressed, acceptably smooth video at the same time. The recording quality is not great, but the main problem that I find is the reliability of the system. Once windows crashed on me while I was 1.5km away, over fields, and I had no backup screen back then. Luckily I knew the area well, and found my plane at no time. If you do not use the laptop screen as your main viewing device, diabling the video preview while recording in VirtualDub saves some recources. Ofcourse, you must setup your PC to avoid disc or virus scans while FPVing...It takes several tries, but it can be made to work acceptably.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Mar 14, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Mar 2011
105 Posts
I use an EZCAP and an Asus netbook running VLC all the time. This is the quality I get:
Dodging obstacles flown w/ Dragon Link (1 min 33 sec)

The only complaint I have is that it's interlaced but that can be fixed....
Exyator is offline Find More Posts by Exyator
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:29 PM
RC haX0r
American Fork, Utah
Joined Nov 2010
95 Posts
do you have to use some custom settings on the EZcap to lower latency to be able to FPV fly watching this screen too?
dpackham is offline Find More Posts by dpackham
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:10 AM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpackham View Post
do you have to use some custom settings on the EZcap to lower latency to be able to FPV fly watching this screen too?
I was referring to setting in VirtualDub. I use only the EasyCap hardware, not the software..
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias