HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, WA, Shelton
Joined Feb 2012
695 Posts
Congratulations on the A1 John, it is an awesome looking model. This build log was one of the ones that really inspired my scratch building. I wish I could have seen it in person. Greg
Lt599 is offline Find More Posts by Lt599
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:45 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,794 Posts
Thanks Lt,
The A-1 flew even better than i had hoped. She has absolutely no bad habits. Real pussycat and looks awesome in the air. The AC-119K was exactly the same too. Both of the maidens we did went perfectly and I'm really happy with them.
We will have more video coming down the road.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:03 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,794 Posts
Pics by Hillbille still coming in from the A-1 flights. These are from the maiden.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:45 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,465 Posts
CN just taxied out and throttled up - not the usual taxi to the end of the runway and check everything. There was no hesitation or stopping from the taxiway to take off - and I was pretty far behind. I did get a couple of non focus shots as it moved away down the strip and... looking at these there are NO flaps deployed and the plane only rolled about 25 to 30 feet before lifting off. The liftoff was straight as an arrow with both mains leaving the ground simultaneously. No rocking of the wings and a low level straight climb out.

During the flight he did a couple of rolls and checked everything. The day was rainy and dark mostly but there were a few light instances where the sun ALMOST got through. This made photographing tough as the light conditions went from blown out to very dark in just a couple of seconds.

Videos here:

The "clicking" you hear all through the videos is my rig - I mad an adapter that allows me to mount a Sony Bloggie to my DSLR on top via the flash adapter and it picks up all the sound - including every "snap" of the shutter mechanism.

JMorgans A1 Skyraider Maiden AIH 2012 (3 min 42 sec)

JMorgans A1D Skyraider SAT AIH 2012 (2 min 10 sec)

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:03 PM
Living a Dream
Winsen (Aller) Germany
Joined Oct 2003
4,141 Posts
Video Time

John Morgan's A1
John Morgan A1 (5 min 37 sec)

John Morgan's A1 with explosive ordnance
John Morgan A1 with explosive ordnance (2 min 59 sec)

HJ
Hans-Joachim is offline Find More Posts by Hans-Joachim
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,873 Posts
Whats that about an elevator coming apart? Oh, nevermind just read the last page talking about the mishap with the tents. Tragedy avoided again
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:21 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,394 Posts
I love watching this thing fly
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:30 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,794 Posts
Me too, and it flies like it's on rails, ordnance or no ordnance. If it hadn't been for all the freaky things going on it would have flown several more times. That plugging the Deans conn in and it shorting out has to be one of the weirdest things I've had happen. I'll bet I have plugged a Deans conn in over 3,000 times and that's the first time it has happened. And then you have the tent deal. Go figure.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:50 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,794 Posts
After we returned from the Vegas fly- in I made a note that I needed some small repairs on the A-1. It flew so darned good that it certainly deserves them. One, the Deans conn had fried and so it needed replaced. This I did yesterday. Two, the elev and rudder needed a shop maintenance check to make sure they were good to go. I had to reglue them at the field after the freaky tent strike had knocked them loose.
And I wanted to get rid of that "look" from the front where you can stare into the cowl and see motor mount, esc, etc.
I had ordered some fake motor fronts from Sparky and used one for the A-1. I just painted it black and used some alum tube to fit pushrods on it. Mounted it to the cowl after cutting out for the motor and she looks many times better than before.
The power system will be changed over to 5s instead of 6s in order to use the four bladed prop. I have batteries on order now.
So you can see the difference that Sparky's motor makes. Before and after pics.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:18 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,616 Posts
Looks much better for sure J.

If you don't care for the silver motor can showing you could always hit it with some flat black.

Long live the Skyraiders!!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:20 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,794 Posts
Thanks Sammy

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:21 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,186 Posts
Or just use a black Sharpie... it sticks better than paint and you don't have to mask anything.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:51 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,465 Posts
Model railroaders use some stuff on newly laid rails to "color" the metal and unless I'm wrong it can be done in stages to attain almost any depth of color. Wouldn't flake or peel and could just be swabbed on to the metal direct.

Or any of the other suggestions too. And J it ain't like any of us know anything you haven't tried before or that we are butting in... but your builds are just so nice we would like to "help" in any way possible!

BTW - is there going to be a build thread for that "big" F-16?? You know the one for HJ! LOL!! Might have to attempt a copy myself and especially since his old one flies so darn good and has for so long!

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:11 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,794 Posts
Yeah. there are a lot of ways to do the motor but I kind of like the metal look in the middle anyway so it may just stay like it is.
I always enjoy hearing new ways of doing things. I never was much of a model railroader( like I'm sure you probably were given your career) so that method is something new.

Hillbille,
Yep, I will move over to the pusher forum next week and start the BIG F-16 thread. It's not 100" as I thought, ONLY 86" long. Have some ideas for making transporting easier, breaking it down into multiple parts. With these big planes I'm running out of transport room to events.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:52 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,873 Posts
Dummy engine is really the icing on the cake here... not really necessary but makes the whole package much tastier overall
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod