HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Feb 2007
86 Posts
Discussion
Need help setuping first glider - Hybrid-DL 1.5M

Hi guys,
I live by the Mediterranean sea, and we have quite high cliff near the beach
that provides great lift most of the year.

I'm flying RC plane for some years, and I want to try fly a glider.

Can you help me start?
What type of glider do I need?

Thanks.
EpoXi is offline Find More Posts by EpoXi
Last edited by EpoXi; Mar 21, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
I'd look at a Zagi, Bee, Wing Warrior Raider, or any of the 48" EPP combat wings. Built true and set-up right they can fly in light lift or 50 mph wind.

Does you transmitter have a delta mix?
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Feb 2007
86 Posts
Yes, I got DX7.
Can you be more specific about a model that I should get or build?
Should it have a motor?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
I like the simplicity of pure slope planes. If you come over to the Slope forum you'll see a lot more examples.

I like the Zagi 5C myself. Keep the throws small. These planes are a great all-arounder for the slope.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
get the cheapest glider you can find and throw it off the cliff. Enjoy! After you have flown it for a few hours, you will start to know what kind of more expensive plane you might want.
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:56 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,741 Posts
No No you need the latest F3F ship outfitted with Lipo batteries and the best new high voltage servo's and it will only cost you about $2,000 to $3000.

Really you will need to do some research and I'm sure that there is someone near who has sloped these cliffs before. With Cliffs your plane options are a question of cubic $$$$. A mistake or a equipment malfunction may cost you the entire investment if it is not retrevable. This is where the flying wings are great. Minimal investment and they can hit the ground at 50 mph without damage. I prefer the Wing Warrior Ridge Runner combat wing.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Feb 2007
86 Posts
I have seen some people flying gliders at these cliffs, and acctually I did it my self too.

I made Zagi from corrugated plastic sheet with some plan I found on the web and it flew quite well utill I made a mistake and got out from the lifting air zone.
I managed to find it (after some climbing) and it was ok, but never had the guts to try again after that.

The thing is that my Zagi was motor free, if I had a motor I could use is to get out from the mistake that I made.

That is the reason I need you to help me choose somthing that will be right for me =]
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:38 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
Have you been to the Trick R/C website? They make the Zagi. They make powered versions as well, so feel free to get a powered one.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:24 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,625 Posts
If you're wanting a motor fitted to it, why bother with the cliff site?? Until you can retrieve it from below eye level without having to go rock climbing, use what you've got and practice some more.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Feb 2007
86 Posts
The cliffs are very high - maybe 80 meters and at some point its almost 90 degrees, Its not possible to retreive the aircraft every time.
If you make a mistake its a big problem.

Any other suggestions?

BTW how much its cost the simplest reciever for the DX7 for something like Zagi wing?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Hobby king orange reciever, spektrum compatible, less than $15 I think.

Other suggestions? Well, if it's light lift you are worried about, you could look at a balsa floater, like a Gently Lady ARF, but you would be sacrificing speed and maneuverability.

The suggestion of a good foam wing is a great place to start. There are plenty to choose from, with the ones above being some of the most popular. Another to consider would be the Ritewing TL50, which has a more symmetrical airfoil and will perform better inverted or on outside loops, etc. It also likes to go really fast.

Another great option for a first glider is the Radian. Dead simple, easy to fly, and it has a motor so you can fly from a flat field or save the plane if the slope lift dissapears on you suddenly. Radian comes equipped with a Spektrum reciever.
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Feb 2007
86 Posts
Thanks you guys for all the comments.
I have been thinking, and decided to try the Thermal section of glider.

we have large open farming area north to my city that I can acces
so I found this model at HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_ARF_.html

It seems really nice and the reviews are good.

Can you help me with the setup?
ESC, motor, servos etc...?

I dont mind buying the electronics somwhere else then HK if you think there is better stores.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:44 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Who melted the boom?
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Feb 2007
86 Posts
What?