HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,623 Posts
Discussion
Clear coat.

I haven't done much with clear coat. I have a pretty good black finish on a fiberglass boat painted with Rustoleum gloss but a couple of spots are not as good. I want to clear coat it. Should I do a fine wet sand before using the clear? I'll let the black dry at least a week first.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 02:48 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,100 Posts
please post pics including materials and clear used as I too use rustoleum and would like to know for future builds.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
Milford Mi.
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
clear coat

Hi guys, Just remember when sprying clear coat to do it with thin coats.Spray a fog coat on and let it dry for about 20-30 minutes and repeat.On the third or fourth coat , you can spray a little heavier. When done , let it dry for 48 to 72 hrs.
If you read some the cans, it says to recoat within 1 hour or wait 72 hrs. This is
because of the retarder they put into rattle cans to lengthen shelf life. When I am not in a hurry, I use Klass Kote urathane clear and only have to wait over night to sand or recoat.It is a two part mix and relies on chemical reaction to cure.It does have a strong odor so needs to be done outside or in well ventilated spray booth. Thank you,Gary
glgirvin is offline Find More Posts by glgirvin