SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Discussion
Slope soaring near Champaign, Illinois?

Can I crowdsource some reccos for slope soaring sites near Champaign, Illinois?

I have a buddy who lives in Champaign and is getting fired up about slope soaring again. He grew up in California but moved out there for work. Any good spots within a "reasonable" drive?

Thanks!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Thanks Steve!....but I think the Chicago area is going to be my best bet....or something down near the Mississippi river bordering Missouri.
I started a thread about the Naperville Greene Vally Hill a week or so ago...and got some good feedback.

gr
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:14 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
I tried!

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
Embrace the suck
Joined Nov 2004
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_rod22x View Post
...something down near the Mississippi river bordering Missouri.
I've read about people sloping Fults Hill down by Valmeyer but personally never tried it - drove past it a few times and thought it looked OK but not worth going back and getting a floater. When I moved to St. Louis I searched for a good site for a while thinking there had to be a river bluff somewhere that would work but eventually gave up. There were also a few promising bluffs around Hannibal but they never panned out. Did have fun zipping down the river looking, though.

Nauga,
who wishes he had better news
nauga is offline Find More Posts by nauga
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
Semper Fidelis
USA, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Jul 2005
1,444 Posts
There are a ton of bluffs across the river from St. Louis. I've got a lot of family out there and in Alton close by. The bluffs look promising, (My mom is requesting I spread here ashes over them) so they must be special.
Big Gas is offline Find More Posts by Big Gas
Old Apr 09, 2012, 09:52 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
So I went on a recon mission this Saturday...heading south again from Champaign.
After a couple 2 or 3 minute flights at a freeway overpass spot...(lame) with my new Weasel....I began my trek to the southern most tip of Lake Shelbyville...to the dam there.
When I got there I was shocked at the sight of this elevation change! I mean...here in the cornbelt....you don't see many things taller than a grain silo!
When I got there the breeze was maybe 2-3mph.
The south facing slope of the dam will def be flyable. The walk out over the road and hoping a guardrail might be a little sketchy...but doable for sure.
I flew a powered warmliner foamie from the west facing slope of the "bowl".
Lots of fun....people would slow and check out the flying. No hassles.
It is about an hour and a half from my house....and I have friends on the lake...so I will be monitoring the spot. It has great potential for south and west winds....and a couple workable spots if it is blowing north.
note* The guardrail is 50/50 grindable Steve ;-) I may have got a good wing half "ping!" off it.
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:44 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Score!

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:04 PM
Naperville, IL