HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
31 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Discussion
Getting out of the Hobby?

I see a lot of people selling everything and stating they are "getting out of the hobby". I went through that a few years ago. What I learned is that one should never sell the basics of what they need to get back into it. After three years of "getting out of the hobby" I got the itch again, and had to rebuy everything. I still find myself thinking I'm done with it from time to time. However, when the wind dies, and the temp is up in the 60's....I feel the need to scratch the itch again.
Just wondering if anybody else goes through this, and what the common opinion on selling everything off when you are "getting out" is?
TouchingEvil is offline Find More Posts by TouchingEvil
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, NM, Hobbs
Joined Oct 2011
80 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Yep. Due to transfers and other activities I just didn't get out but just didn't get around to flying for a few years. Really wish I hadn't gotten rid of a few airplanes when I moved once- like my Ultra Sport 1000, a short kit and plans for a Knights of the Air U-2 and a Vindicator slope plane that I sold for $75 and saw one for several hundred dollars recently.

David
David2011 is offline Find More Posts by David2011
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:49 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Trader Rating: 35
Kind of going through it myself right now, but I'm not getting out, I'm just scaling back. Going to have a few kits and LPU complete airplanes up for sale soon, as well as lots of parts. My reason is I just have too much other stuff going on and frankly the airplanes are getting in the way.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
31 Posts
I have to say that my planes take up a lot of room. I swore I would never sell any again, but where am I to put the new ones I want?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,199 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
You obviously need to crash more.

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,699 Posts
Trader Rating: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
You obviously need to crash more.

mw
What is this "crash" that you speak of?
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:51 PM
Rogersville, Mo
Joined Jun 2008
3,461 Posts
Trader Rating: 174
Same here...everytime i think about quittin..they raise Gas so high I refuse to pay over 40.00 a trip...so i enjoy flying..its a lot cheaper for me......Billy
FlyBillyFly is offline Find More Posts by FlyBillyFly
Old Mar 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
AMA 884978 KKN6KY
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2007
2,166 Posts
Trader Rating: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Crash - you know the part that assists you in the decision to modify the plane you fly the most! LOL!!

Hillbille
hillbille is online now Find More Posts by hillbille
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:24 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,199 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
If I must:

mw
Best RC Plane Crashes Vol. 1 (1 min 29 sec)
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:40 PM
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined May 2010
439 Posts
Trader Rating: 46
I found some more crashes:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=RC+plane+crash+...on+youtube.com
RCSwitz18 is offline Find More Posts by RCSwitz18
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
Pastor of Muppets \m/
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2010
967 Posts
Trader Rating: 49
I get 'out of the hobby' at least once a year. I find I like selling & buying everything again. I've owned like 4 dx6is and I've only been in the hobby for a minute. This time 'getting back in' I finally stepped up to the 7s. I am going to stop fire-sale-ing everything though. It's just not fiscally responsible anymore. I have two planes that I hopefully won't crash for a while. I plan to start building some kits here and there to keep me busy on windy days. Oh and I think i will make some time for family, career, and even disc golf as well and stop obsessing quite so much on this damned hobby! I check the wind forecasts every day sometimes several times a day. ugh...
major.monogram is offline Find More Posts by major.monogram
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
31 Posts
yeah.....good luck with that.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
United States, NJ, Lodi
Joined Jan 2012
968 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Lol on checking wind forecasts. Never in my life did I care about wind until this hobby. Now it is the only thing that matters when I check the weather. Used to be how cold it is outside. Now I freeze my hands no problem if I know the wind is under 10mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.monogram View Post
I get 'out of the hobby' at least once a year. I find I like selling & buying everything again. I've owned like 4 dx6is and I've only been in the hobby for a minute. This time 'getting back in' I finally stepped up to the 7s. I am going to stop fire-sale-ing everything though. It's just not fiscally responsible anymore. I have two planes that I hopefully won't crash for a while. I plan to start building some kits here and there to keep me busy on windy days. Oh and I think i will make some time for family, career, and even disc golf as well and stop obsessing quite so much on this damned hobby! I check the wind forecasts every day sometimes several times a day. ugh...
Syner01 is offline Find More Posts by Syner01
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
31 Posts
Yup, was just looking at weather stations that include wind speed. Told the wife that is what I want for my birthday.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
Full throttle baby!
Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
130 Posts
Trader Rating: 97
Here Here!!!!!

Dont do it!!!!!! Some things you cant get back! (er' like a Projeti!!!!!!!)
Eagle50 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle50