HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:33 AM
USA, WA, Kennewick
Joined Nov 2005
502 Posts
Discussion
4 axis board for Jedicut (Xavier and parts of mm2001 on a single board)

I started working on the controller board design for a 4 axis foam cutter I've started working on.

Originally I had planned to run the whole thing through my Arduino board to interpret g code. The problem is I like the look and feel of Jedicut but it doesn't support G code..

What is does support is the Xavier USB adapter for MM2001 control boards.

Since I already started buying separate Stepper drivers I thought it would be best to make a controller board combining the Xavier USB board and the parts of the MM2001 board I still needed (timing and wire heater circuits) and adding PMinMO standard break out headers for the stepper drivers.

I attached images of the Eagle sch layout and the board layout plus a zip of the eagle files.

If anyone wants to look over them and give me some feedback on the board layout or any mistakes I've made that would be great.

I was wondering if it would be best to move the wire heater circuits off onto it's own board.
I'd put a on-board voltage regulator in it's place. Right now it's powered through the +5v USB.

OK pick it apart folks.

thanks
sscherin is offline Find More Posts by sscherin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:49 AM
USA, WA, Kennewick
Joined Nov 2005
502 Posts
I found the default .010 trace size was hard to get clean transfers on so I ripped up all the traces and had eagle re run it at .030 and wider clearness.
It has a few move vias but nothing horrible.

I printed the new layout onto dollar store glossy photo paper using my laser printer (yes I tested it with an iron first to make sure it wouldn't melt and trash the fuser)

Ironed the layout sheets onto a double sided PCB (about 3-4 min pr side) and dropped it in a pan to soak the paper off. After a little rubbing all you should have left is the toner bonded to the copper. If it doesn't transfer completely of it smear you can clean the toner off the pcb with acetone and try again.

I had a few small spots where the toner didn't quite transfer perfectly so I dabbed on some thick CA with a tooth pick to cover the breaks. Nail polish might have been better but the girls weren't giving it up. Anything that will resist the acid and protect the copper from etching.

Off to the tub for etching..

Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
USA, WA, Kennewick
Joined Nov 2005
502 Posts
Etching is done.. Time to drill lots of little holes and order up the components.

If the board tests out OK I may order a set of 3 finished boards from DorkbotPDX
http://dorkbotpdx.org/wiki/pcb_order
Last edited by sscherin; Mar 14, 2012 at 01:54 PM.