HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2012, 01:54 AM
It Eats Vets
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Discussion
Need help setting up ER9-X with Naza

I've got everything hooked up, but I'll be buggered if I can figure out how to get my gear switch assigned for switching between Atti and Manual. And I'll be equally buggered if I can track down that info here. I'd love getting some help on this, and anything else I should have configured. I'd hate to flick the ON switch for the first time and have the quad rocket into the sky never to be seen again.
tgreening is offline Find More Posts by tgreening
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:08 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
I finally managed to get the Gear switch assigned, I think. I went into the Mixer Menu and added it to CH5. The menu currently reads:

CH1 100% RUD
CH2 100% ELE
CH3 100% THR
CH4 100% AIL
CH5 100% Full GEA

I'm not completely sure of this setting. If I go into the set up menu for CH5 I have:

Source FULL
Weight 100
Offset 0
F1Modetrim OFF
Trim ON
Curves ------
Switch GEA
Warning OFF
Multpx Add
Delay Down 0
Delay Up 0
Slow Down 0
Slow Up 0

When I go into the Naza receiver setup section I can switch between Atti and Manual using the Gear switch, and I used the Limits menu to set end points to get the blue bars in Naza setup to light properly. CH5 in the limits menu reads:

CH5 0.0 -64 <- 61

All other channels read 0.0 -100 -> 100, with the exception of CH3 which reads: 0.0 -100 <- 100

At first this seemed like I was good to go until it came time to bite the bullet and fire things up. I placed the Quad on the ground, fired up the transmitter, the plugged in the battery. I got the motors armed and they were spooled up in a satisfactory manner so I went ahead and flicked the gear switch over to Atti mode. The motor rpm jumped up a fair amount, but not enough to cause any lift off, and the THR stick had no affect on rpm at all. Absolutely no joy in Atti mode, so I switched back to manual mode. RPM dropped back to "idle" and everything seemed normal so I figured at this point it would be a good idea to go ahead and destroy all my props, which I promptly did by being dumb enough to have a go at manual with absolutely no experience what-so-ever. Mission Accomplished!

Anyhow, any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I need to get a gross or so of spare props ordered up but in the meantime if I could get the software end of things worked out that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
Can we get some more info about what you are flying? Frame/motor/ESCs/props/battery?
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrites View Post
Can we get some more info about what you are flying? Frame/motor/ESCs/props/battery?

DJI Flame Wheel 450 / Hacker A20 - 22L / Turnigy Plush 25a / APC 10" / 3S 3300

Oh, at this point "fly" is probably an overly generous description of what I do.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:27 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
I "think" my revised setup is ok. One thing I noticed during my attempted manual flight was the quad didn't seem to want to lift off on an even keel. One end of it wanted to "dip" on liftoff. I chalked this up to my inexperience and assumed the fix called for the usual solution. MORE POWER! Unfortunately the end result was about a half dozen impressive but inadvertent barrel rolls, and a quad full of busted props.

I went to fiddle with it today and one of the props fell right off the motor shaft. Another prop pulled off by hand offering only moderate resistance. I'm thinking my uneven liftoff issue might have been due to one or more of the props spinning on the shaft. I bought the unit pre-assembled and never thought to double check the prop adapters. Live and learn.

I'd still like some input on the Turnigy setup I posted above, and a good domestic source for in stock props.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:49 AM
Honey,just one more thing
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
You got everything set up in the naza asst correctly, set up for quad, calibrated transmitter, hit write on all pages, esc. calibrated to trans,failsafe setup if your receiver does that. Props spinning in the right direction.Just wondering if you are using the standard module and receiver that came with the 9 or did you change to frysky module? Prop adapters might of loosened up with all the barrel rolls it did? Could be something simple that was over looked, I do that a lot .
spudandretti is offline Find More Posts by spudandretti
Last edited by spudandretti; Mar 13, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudandretti View Post
You got everything set up in the naza asst correctly, set up for quad, calibrated transmitter, hit write on all pages, esc. calibrated to trans,failsafe setup if your receiver does that. Props spinning in the right direction.Just wondering if you are using the standard module and receiver that came with the 9 or did you change to frysky module? Prop adapters might of loosened up with all the barrel rolls it did? Could be something simple that was over looked, I do that a lot .

Standard eq. On the rx/tx side. As far as I can tell everything else in the radio is set up correctly, with thenpossible exception of what I've done for the gear switch.

The escs oth I haven't done anything with. I thought all I had to do was add my radio gear and go. I messed with it last night with the props removed and did notice I run out of rpm before I run out of THR stick travel. I read up how to calibrate the escs but it's my understanding you are supposed to do them individually, and since they are hard wired into the NaZa pwr distribution borad I wasn't exactly sure how to go about doing that.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
Standard eq. On the rx/tx side. As far as I can tell everything else in the radio is set up correctly, with thenpossible exception of what I've done for the gear switch.

The escs oth I haven't done anything with. I thought all I had to do was add my radio gear and go. I messed with it last night with the props removed and did notice I run out of rpm before I run out of THR stick travel. I read up how to calibrate the escs but it's my understanding you are supposed to do them individually, and since they are hard wired into the NaZa pwr distribution borad I wasn't exactly sure how to go about doing that.
calibrate trans per naza asst. instructions. You can still calibrate esc even if power cables are connected together. If you still have the power wire you can connect back to the servo plug if it was disconnected ( which I disconnect anyhow before plugging into naza board) to power receiver (or if its not possible to connect power wire again, power the receiver some other way, correct voltage, maybe use an old esc with bec on batt connection.) Connect one at a time the esc's to the receiver's (after you pull all the rest of the plugs off of it) throttle channel and calibrate them, other escapes will make some beeps but tha'ts ok. Thats the way I do it, somebody else my chime in here, but my way works fine.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
calibrate trans per naza asst. instructions. You can still calibrate esc even if power cables are connected together. If you still have the power wire you can connect back to the servo plug if it was disconnected ( which I disconnect anyhow before plugging into naza board) to power receiver (or if its not possible to connect power wire again, power the receiver some other way, correct voltage, maybe use an old esc with bec on batt connection.) Connect one at a time the esc's to the receiver's (after you pull all the rest of the plugs off of it) throttle channel and calibrate them, other escapes will make some beeps but tha'ts ok. Thats the way I do it, somebody else my chime in here, but my way works fine.

Ok, bear with me a moment because I'm thick as molasses about this stuff at this point.

If I understand correctly I can basically dicsonnect everything from the Naza unit and the rx, and then connect one esc at a time to the THR channel on the receiver. Power up the rx only and calibrate per the esc instructions. In this case Turnigy escs. Correct?

If so I have a receiver battery I can plug in and then I should be good to go.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
Quote:
Ok, bear with me a moment because I'm thick as molasses about this stuff at this point.

If I understand correctly I can basically dicsonnect everything from the Naza unit and the rx, and then connect one esc at a time to the THR channel on the receiver. Power up the rx only and calibrate per the esc instructions. In this case Turnigy escs. Correct?

If so I have a receiver battery I can plug in and then I should be good to go.
you have to power the escapes too by using the batt you use to fly (that way if you still have the red wires hooked up on the servo leads you can use that to power the receiver), just like your going to fly. one will do the beeps your looking for others will just beep sensing no signal to them, you can disconnect the vu from the naza so it does not power up all the time. then disconnect the battery and hook up the next one and repeat. Of course without props on. I pmed you the other day.
Last edited by spudandretti; Mar 13, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Quote:
I got the motors armed and they were spooled up in a satisfactory manner so I went ahead and flicked the gear switch over to Atti mode. The motor rpm jumped up a fair amount, but not enough to cause any lift off, and the THR stick had no affect on rpm at all.
ER9X setup looks good. I just got into setting mine up for my Naza and will post my config. Would be nice to see others to get inspiration!!

From what I read, you armed in manual, switched to ATTI. Now if you leave your throttle all the way down, in ATTI, it should turn the motors off after a couple of seconds.

So flip to ATTI, arm it and then in under a couple seconds give it at least 10% on the throttle stick. It will not lift off but it won't disarm either.

Now try to have your throttle much much over 50% for it to take off in ATTI. On mine I usually give it a good bump to over 70% so my hexa can have a nice powerfull and straight take off. The ATTI mode will keep it level don't worry.

In ATTI mode 50% throttle means keep it at this altitude, anything over 50% and it will rise, anything under 50% it will go down. So to land in ATTI just lower a little bit under 50% and let it go down and land as slowly as possible, works very nice.

I have quite some experience flying quads now, but haven't even had a crack at manual mode in the couple test flights I did lol. My hexa seems pretty twitchy and all I heard on the forums was how much sensitive manual mode is. I will probably go for 50% expo and at least 70% D/R before giving it a go

Will post back with my ER9X settings
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:56 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
you have to power the escapes too by using the batt you use to fly (that way if you still have the red wires hooked up on the servo leads you can use that to power the receiver), just like your going to fly. one will do the beeps your looking for others will just beep sensing no signal to them, you can disconnect the vu from the naza so it does not power up all the time. then disconnect the battery and hook up the next one and repeat. Of course without props on. I pmed you the other day.

Got the escs calibrated, but it still seems like I run out of rpm before I run out of stick. Maybe that's just the way it is.

Sorry about the lack of response on the PM. Not sure how I missed that
Old Mar 14, 2012, 11:03 PM
It Eats Vets
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nek View Post
ER9X setup looks good. I just got into setting mine up for my Naza and will post my config. Would be nice to see others to get inspiration!!

From what I read, you armed in manual, switched to ATTI. Now if you leave your throttle all the way down, in ATTI, it should turn the motors off after a couple of seconds.

So flip to ATTI, arm it and then in under a couple seconds give it at least 10% on the throttle stick. It will not lift off but it won't disarm either.

Now try to have your throttle much much over 50% for it to take off in ATTI. On mine I usually give it a good bump to over 70% so my hexa can have a nice powerfull and straight take off. The ATTI mode will keep it level don't worry.

In ATTI mode 50% throttle means keep it at this altitude, anything over 50% and it will rise, anything under 50% it will go down. So to land in ATTI just lower a little bit under 50% and let it go down and land as slowly as possible, works very nice.

I have quite some experience flying quads now, but haven't even had a crack at manual mode in the couple test flights I did lol. My hexa seems pretty twitchy and all I heard on the forums was how much sensitive manual mode is. I will probably go for 50% expo and at least 70% D/R before giving it a go

Will post back with my ER9X settings

Settings would be awesome. Actually since the 9x seems to be so popular, along with the Naza, maybe a separate thread should be started just for settings. ??

I managed to get the escs calibrated today. At least I followed the instructions and got the expected responses, but as I mentioned in another reply it still seems like I run out of rpm before I run out of stick.

I've been starting up and arming in manual. If I do this and then switch to atti, I get no throttle response at all. If I start up the radio in atti and arm that way, I can switch back and forth after that with no problem. Does this sound right?

Unfortunately I won't be able to try flying till tomorrow at the least, because my replacement props won't get here till then. Here's hoping....
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:40 AM
Rensselaer,IN
Joined Jan 2003
3,098 Posts
when your hooked up to the asst. when you flip the gear switch does the slider go back and forth and change your atti and Man to blue and do you have the failsafe setup if your receiver has a fail safe setting? Try hooking your quad to the asst starting the gear switch in manual and then flip it to atti and see if it changes from blue man to blue atti, try to have the arrow close to center of A when you are on atti and center when your in manual. I just made two points in the mixer portion under 5th channel first one was like yours (With the switch back) then I flipped the gear switch (forward, so when in forward I'm in atti) then added another mix below that but with "replace" instead of add. then I use the wieght number on both and adjust those to change the slider. I made sure they both had the arrow in fail safe first then had throttle above 10 percent then hit the fail safe button on my receiver (I have frysky) so either position would go into failsafe if I lose signal. Then went back and readjusted the mixer points for atti and manual. After you get those mixer's in you don't have to go into the menu portion of those mixers, just highlight the number and you can go up or down with the numbers, if you didn't know that already. That's the way I did it. Don't know if that's the right way but it works for me.
Last edited by spudandretti; Mar 15, 2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 01:35 PM
Nek
DIY O.G.
French Polynesia, Windward Islands, Faaa
Joined Nov 2002
313 Posts
Ok so here are my ER9X settings for the Naza so far. I haven't had a chance to do more than a couple of packs on the Naza but I think my radio settings are doing ok.

EXPO/DR:
You will want different expos and end points for the different flight modes most likely. I have more expo and smaller travel in Manual. I switch from Manual to Atti using the AIL switch. So I set AIL as sw1 and my exp/% accordingly.
Make sure you do all the calibration in the assistant with 100% travel. so no expo, no D/R % until calibration is done!!!

MIXER:

CH1 100% AIL
R -100% FULL TRN

CH2 100% ELE
R -100% FULL TRN

CH3 100% THR c9
R 100% THR AIL c10
R -100% FULL TRN

CH4 100% RUD
R 100% FULL TRN

CH5 67% FULL AIL
R -61% FULL !AIL

CH6 0% FULL
CH7 -20% FULL

CH1 to CH4 are your basic controls. The added mix on the trainer temporary switch is used to arm/disarm motors.

Since in manual mode I have set my endpoints at a lower % I will not be able to achieve full range with my sticks, which would make arming/disarming impossible.

When TRN is held up all 4 channels are replaced (R) with a preset position (100% or -100% depending on the channel) to achieve one of the arming stick positions, and using FULL as source it will give a signal corresponding to the travel the Naza expects.

On CH3 I wanted to have two different throttle curves, so it will switch according to the AIL switch position. One curve for Manual, set so that hover is exactly at center stick and made tamer around the middle. The one for Atti will most likely be a basic -100 -50 0 50 100 one. This should help the multi stay level and not shoot up or down when going between flight modes.

CH5 is my AIL switch to go from Manual to Atti. The values are set when using the Naza configuration assitant. Make sure the slider moves to the center of each flight modes on the slider in the assistant. Adjust your values accordingly.

CH6 and CH7 are to control my two gains. I like them like this and not on a switch or a knob. I want to fine tune it and have a precise setting.

Last but not least is the SAFETY SWITCHES section:

CH1 THR 0
CH2 THR 0
CH3 THR -100
CH4 THR 0

This will make all control channels blocked to their default values when the throttle hold switch is up, makes it impossible to arm by mistake with the TRN switch or stick movements.

Well I hope this helps. Let me know if I forgot anything or if you have any questions
Nek is offline Find More Posts by Nek