Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:46 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Discussion
Hacking the Devo 8

After looking into the thriving community of the custom firmwares for the Turnigy 9X and reading that some of them believe it is possible to create a custom firmware for the Devo 8 as well, so I want to start this thread as a location for those with the skills to get together and do it.

I own a normal Devo 8 (not an 8S), and I am also a programmer, though not the type of programmer that generally does firmware, but I can help with things once a way is paved to do so!
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
I'd probably be more interested in doing this with a Devo 10. From my understanding of the Tx board, it would theoretically be possible to support all 2.4GHz protocols using a Devo 6/7/8/10/12 without any modifications to the radio besides a new firmware (and possibly the need for the bidirectional transceiver)

Basically the Devo 8/12 appear to have a Cypress 6936 chip which is (basically) directly controlled by the main-board. If the main processor is driving this chip directly, then the protocol is in the firmware, and other protocols could be added. If there is a second uC between the main processor and the tx board, the Devo may not be an ideal platform to develop on compared to the 9X.

Of course, this additionally requires knowing the protocols as well as whether the hardware can support it. I've seen some pretty cheap Devo-7 radios. It may be worth starting work with one of them to get a feel for what could be done, though it really depends on how similar the different models are under the hood. obviously the 6/8/12 need touch screen support, and the 7 has a completely different screen interface. but if the input and Tx interfaces are similar between all models, that would make it easier.

I've done some work developing alternative firmwares for closed hardware on ARM platforms before, but at the moment I don't have a Devo radio, and not a lot of free time. Probbaly not something I could work on much until late spring.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
I'd probably be more interested in doing this with a Devo 10. From my understanding of the Tx board, it would theoretically be possible to support all 2.4GHz protocols using a Devo 6/7/8/10/12 without any modifications to the radio besides a new firmware (and possibly the need for the bidirectional transceiver)

Basically the Devo 8/12 appear to have a Cypress 6936 chip which is (basically) directly controlled by the main-board. If the main processor is driving this chip directly, then the protocol is in the firmware, and other protocols could be added. If there is a second uC between the main processor and the tx board, the Devo may not be an ideal platform to develop on compared to the 9X.

Of course, this additionally requires knowing the protocols as well as whether the hardware can support it. I've seen some pretty cheap Devo-7 radios. It may be worth starting work with one of them to get a feel for what could be done, though it really depends on how similar the different models are under the hood. obviously the 6/8/12 need touch screen support, and the 7 has a completely different screen interface. but if the input and Tx interfaces are similar between all models, that would make it easier.

I've done some work developing alternative firmwares for closed hardware on ARM platforms before, but at the moment I don't have a Devo radio, and not a lot of free time. Probbaly not something I could work on much until late spring.
The Devo 8 (radio itself) uses ARM ST chip, the Cypress chip is on the telemetry module. There is a much more active thread going on that I didn't realize when I started this one at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1611471
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE