HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:34 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
I was on vacation, the first one in some nine years! Of course, don't think for a second that I wasn't thinking about a way to make a living down there. But, ima brewer by trade and the only thing down there was a brewpub operation working out of the basement of a resturant called kelly's. Very part time. And quite frankly? The water in florida sucks for brewing. To much calcium as far as I can tell. Made all the local beer come out thin and astrigent. I'm only at the tender age of 37. So, retirement is a bit off.
I was transported down to Key west by my cousin and his wife, we stopped in Key Largo and stayed in a old hotel that shares a marina with the marriot that hosts the queen.
The cousin is amusing... world class chef that makes his living turning over resturants. He's like gordan ramsey, but not a jerk. Well, as much of a jerk I should say.
We stopped in Largo because it was part of the tacky tourist trap tour and some of his colleges were meeting up for dinner.
Now.. I love hanging out with resturant folks. Its alwayys a good time. But these resturant folks were hardcore pros and their level of conversation was on a whole new level entertaining.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:35 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
BG,
On looking at your first post and seeing the gray in your whiskers, are you sure you've got the numbers of your age the correct way around. Y'all have a nice day now.
George
ooyah is offline Find More Posts by ooyah
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
South Texas
Joined Jul 2003
502 Posts
George, That's what sampleing the product all the time does!
I hear tell that he has a hidden drain spigot that samples are taken from on the quarter......hourly I'm speaking of.
His boss told him that having a drink now & then was ok but this dam sipping all day long has to stop!
Reg Hinnant is offline Find More Posts by Reg Hinnant
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg Hinnant View Post
George, That's what sampleing the product all the time does!
I hear tell that he has a hidden drain spigot that samples are taken from on the quarter......hourly I'm speaking of.
His boss told him that having a drink now & then was ok but this dam sipping all day long has to stop!
Reg
Very cunning now I see what the whiskers are for, hiding a spigot, wait a minute, I thought he was the boss ?

Did you get my e-mail ?

George.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:01 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
nope, not the boss, but I'm a fairly important cog in the machine, and I attribute the whiskers more to the wife than then job actually I was actually taking a kinda introspective look at them this morning and contemplating shaving off the beard just to see if it comes back in snow white.

there's actually not enough time to sip all day long... oh there IS sipping... but its usually confined to taking a small sample off to check for color, clarity, taste, and mouth feel... I don't have a gang of white coated "boffens" as they call them over the pond doing all that for us... yet.

We're fitting out the lab right now... the latest toy to come in is a table top "incubator" I asked them if they were planning on hatching chickens or something with it.

I'm the recovering engineer guy, guy that can fix anything at anytime and helps come up with no and crazy hair brained schemes to maximize usage of the equipment. and is usually the one to implement, test, and recommend or discourage such hair brained schemes. we got some eight guys down there in the beer mines 3/4 that work mostly hot side, and the rest work cold side cellar, being the weekend guy.. my "weekends" being Mondays and Tuesdays. I'm usually testing these concepts on Saturdays and Sundays and leaving notes of recommendations to the rest of the staff, then training based on my findings.
when I grow up, I wanna be a consultant!

Proper quality assurance happens after the day is done.. like... right now... cheers!
*sip* yep... its still beer!
This Golden Ale is a little too smooth.. and potent.. goes down far too easy for what it is, a Proper English style IPA... A recreation of the historic beer that made as an export product to the British colonists living down in India...
see... the folks discovered that some 200 folks out of a thousand were dying of waterborne ailments down there. considering that there are no bacteria that can live in beer can harm people, you wont get dysentery from beer in other words... So a brewer up in England crafted a beer specifically for export to the colonies in India. Because at the time, they had to go all the way around Africa to GET to India, they made it to be high in hops and hooch, because both those things work to preserve the beer in transit.
after they got everyone drinking beer instead of water, the water born illness deaths dropped to around 50 out of 1000.

And that's the type of beer I'm drinking right now..
*Paul Harvey voice* " and now you know..... the rest of the story!"
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:38 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
BG,
If you have had the whiskers on for a long time I would have second thoughts in shaving them off, you may not like the look of the guy underneath, think about your good lady, she my not recognize you.

I.P.A. is a thing of the past in U.K. all on to this organic stuff and Real Ale.

Not that it bothers me as I have been T.T. these last 20 years.
Saw a program on Discovery at the death rate in London due to polluted water, Londoners used to drink water straight from the Thames with all the filth and garbage in it. hence every body drank beer until water purification took leaps and bounds to clear the death rate, and sewage systems diverted the waste water to purification plants.

Did you know that it was a brewer who invented the beer engine which went on to be developed into Hydraulic systems ?

George.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 06:44 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Beer has saved many many lives over the years. Mr. Pastour developed his process while working for brewing industry as well

i did not know that about that Beer engine.. I'll have to work that info into the brewery tour I give. We have a firkin program going on and sometimes break out the engine we have lying around for that.. mostly vented and gravety fed firkind and pin kegs..

them wiskers again... the last time I was complety shaved was for charity.. we have this thing called Saint baldricks day charity. The idea behind it is that you raise money for a childrens cancer studies for this group, and at the end of the pledge drive you shave your head in a public specticle to show your solidaity with the little cancer kids who are going through chemo and have lost their hair as a result.
I had a full head of hair, and a full beard back then as well, and one of the draft accounts we have, who also happens to be a freind of mine pledged $1000 tottle to my drive if I also shaved the beard.

well I couldn't pass that up. so I went through with it.

man I was chilly after that.

So, me and the rest of Team Legend ( Legend brewing company, whom I work for) went back to the pub afterwards..

No one had ever seen me like that and they were all quite horrified. A poll was taken and i was instructed to never, ever do that ever again..

So I stopped shaving, and I only cut my hair when it's long enough to chop off and donate to Locks of love, which is a organization that takes donated hair and makes into wigs for women who are going through chemo.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:16 AM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Bg,
Good on ya mate !!!! what a wonderful thing to do especially as you can do it again when your hair grows.
I am twice your age minus 1 year and the only excess hair that I seam to have for some reason only grows out of my ears and nostrils which of course is useless.
Maybe it's all of that beer tasting that makes your hair grow, there's an old saying in Scotland EAT YOUR PORRIDGE IT WILL MAKE YOUR HAIR GROW been trying for years with no success.

George.
Last edited by ooyah; Apr 27, 2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:23 AM
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooyah View Post
Bg,
Good on ya mate !!!! what a wonderful thing to do especially as you can do it again when your hair grows.
I am twice your age minus 1 year and the only excess hair that I seam to have for some reason only grows out of my ears and nostrils which of course is useless.
Maybe it's all of that beer tasting that makes your hair grow, there's an old saying in Scotland EAT YOUR PORRIDGE IT WILL MAKE YOUR HAIR GROW been trying for years with no success.

George.
Dang George You and I are the same age and I thought I was the oldest guy building.Keep smiling.
onfinal32 is offline Find More Posts by onfinal32
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:15 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Hey now, I'm an old fart in training! I got the ear and nose hair working.. I'm getting there

My sainted bride seems hell bent on helping me accelerate the process sometimes!

I need to check in with the AQ folks, see if there are any updates.. this thread is supposed to be about the queen, and not my facial hair after all

oh, and goerge, thank you find the kind words. as for the porridge thing? the training regiment I have my competitive Bearding team on is two bananas and a two pints a day

yes.. I'm part of a competitive beard growing team. it's more of an excuse to travel the country, dress up funny and get snookered
Old Apr 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
GLASGOW
Joined Feb 2011
305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnome View Post
Hey now, I'm an old fart in training! I got the ear and nose hair working.. I'm getting there

My sainted bride seems hell bent on helping me accelerate the process sometimes!

I need to check in with the AQ folks, see if there are any updates.. this thread is supposed to be about the queen, and not my facial hair after all

oh, and goerge, thank you find the kind words. as for the porridge thing? the training regiment I have my competitive Bearding team on is two bananas and a two pints a day

yes.. I'm part of a competitive beard growing team. it's more of an excuse to travel the country, dress up funny and get snookered
BG,
Yes you are correct we seam to have wandered some what from the original, but keep up the good work, drink the beer and rub on the snake oil to keep the whiskers growing.

George.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Thanks george!

well, there is an update... looks like work is complete and they are now offering cruises again

Cruises to be offered aboard the African Queen
Old May 07, 2012, 03:37 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,852 Posts
The CNN report puts the African Queen as having been built at the Lytham Shipyard, and this has been a popular rumour for many years. My interest there is that the yard was about 3 miles away from my sailing water, and I have a tie-in with a local historical group. One of my members several years ago discussed this with an old ex-foreman at the yard, who was very definite that it was nor built there - a check on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Queen_(boat) indicates that it was more likely built at Stroud.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old May 07, 2012, 08:34 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,269 Posts
I have no proof but I think the first time the boat had seen a steam engine was when the movie was made.
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old May 11, 2012, 03:17 PM
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
I have no proof but I think the first time the boat had seen a steam engine was when the movie was made.
Regards,
Gerald.
it had one, but it wasn't used. they had a diesel on board, it has been mentioned that when the boat sunk during filming, they had to remove the running gear in order to raise her.
the boat itself I believe, when purchased for the film, was lying in a field of a lumber yard rotting away