HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:01 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
On my Swift I used Welder on the wing halves, then medium CA on the wing to fuse joint after carefully aligning the wing.

Congrats on the maiden!
I used a hot glue gun to repair my rudder on my SU that came loose from the fusalage.

Why can't you just use a hot glue gun to glue the wing halves together.

That is what we use for our EPP Assassin wings to glue both halves of the wings together. On that plane that is the whole plane. One 34 inch flying wing. Once assembled it is so durable that we combat with them.
I have seen an Assasin ran at full speed into a concrete stairway and it survived with only minor damage so the hot glue works just fine on that.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:23 PM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
still havent maidend the aeolus but at least my motor and props where posted 2 days ago
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:13 PM
fly low, fly fast, fly 3d
United Kingdom, England, Luton
Joined Dec 2011
564 Posts
damnit motor came but i was in school have to get it tomorrow errrrggghhh
nathan100 is offline Find More Posts by nathan100
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:53 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
lol, i hear ya. happened to me before. it'll be worth the weight tho.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:15 PM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Got to go fly a little today!
It was pretty cold and windy, I only had tree batteries, but it was a blast.

My wife filmed a little 30sec video on her phone camera of me doing an inverted hand launch and flying around a bit. The video is not that good and neither am I but give me some time!

Tech One SU-31 (0 min 31 sec)
OKJeepin is offline Find More Posts by OKJeepin
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:23 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Looks pretty good to me

Weather has been too windy all week for me to fly.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:41 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
I was going stir crazy. Weather was calm, so I got the 43" Yak out and tried to fly it at home. To it's/my credit, I didn't beak anything! Way too small an area. The slow flying Piaget I've been flying here at home gave me a little too much confidence. Lesson RE-learned!

It was fun though. I'm reminded how much more power it's got. Apparently I had forgotten!
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJeepin View Post
Got to go fly a little today!
It was pretty cold and windy, I only had tree batteries, but it was a blast.

My wife filmed a little 30sec video on her phone camera of me doing an inverted hand launch and flying around a bit. The video is not that good and neither am I but give me some time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIBSQ...ature=youtu.be
Nice flying there OK
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:55 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I fly out in front of my house some too, Ahicks. Very small subdivision area with lots of palm trees and light poles to dodge. Once I get above the tree I am OK, but since I am flying over my neighbor's yards, I only fly small,light stuff here. Landing can be a real challenge

I might give the little Yak a go here once I get more used to her - fly my GWS Pico moth here a lot

I would be afraid to try to put the Swift up here, though - just too big for the space. She would end up in a palm tree or on a neighbor's roof, I think

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:24 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
wish i could have came out today, but the daughters first soccer practice took priority.

maybe tomorrow!! looking at the weather it doesn't look to bad, this weekend tho will be a toss up. if it doesn't rain sunday it should be a great day with less than 5mph winds!!!
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:31 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
My eye on the weekend as well. We should have lost most our snow by then, and mid 40 temps sound attractive after what I've been flying in lately. It'll be about wind and rain for me too!

Love the Piaget, but need something I'm not going to break the fuse on every time out. Need something as capable, but sturdier! Any slow flier great, but mine should knife edge and hover if it's going to hold my interest for long!
-Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:37 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
yeah, i'm sorta looking for a small epp plane that i could fly around the yard, and maybe take to the local gym and fly in a basketball court size place. i think the depron planes would be to fragile tho.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:48 PM
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,178 Posts
Does anyone have any tips to enlarge the carbon rod slots on the wings on a Swift? I want to swap out the thin carbon rods for thicker 4MM/.157 carbon tubes. I was planning on using 1 of these bits,
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...l.aspx?pid=191
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessor...l.aspx?pid=192

I've routed flat epp but being a tapered wing I guess I need to build some type of jig so I can enlarge it and keep the depth correct and the tube straight? I could just route it all flat with a 5/32 bit all the same depth and fill in with glue and routed scraps and just deal with the spots where the paint is missing or just force a smaller tube into the existing slot and hope its not flexed but I would rather not do that, I would really like the tube glued in straight and not induce a warp into the wing. I also could just router the bottom of the wing for a tube and just use to stock carbon rod on the top to leave it nice looking for a possible new owner?

I also had a question about glueing the wing halves together, the wing root measures 1 /1/2" and the tips 1", If I use 1/4" spacers at each end this should get it glued straight? I was wondering how you all were doing it and wasn't sure how square the wing was cut from the factory, Sorry for all the questions, I have quite a few to build.
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Last edited by keyman923; Mar 07, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:11 PM
Controlled Chaos
Joined Jul 2012
214 Posts
Guess what happens when the rudder hinge breaks during a hard spin....

I used some CA hinges to fix the rudder.

Any suggestions on how to repair the motor mount?
OKJeepin is offline Find More Posts by OKJeepin
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:40 PM
The wind caused that!!
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
on the swift, i really don't notice the need for bigger carbon rods in the wings. there is a small amount of flex, but not enough for me to warrant changing them. if you just want to, i would only do the bottom. think it would be fairly easy with just a good sharp exacto blade.

on gluing the wing halves together, i used shoe goo in between the wing halves, and then used a little ca and kicker to "tack" the wing together. after the shoe goo dried ( i waited about 2 hours) i ran a bead of ca glue all the way around the wing joint. my wings were cut very straight and butted up together almost perfectly.