HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:11 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,213 Posts
Yeah, I will just equal out both sides of my aileron pitch and see how it flies.

It has to be something physical (like one of you guys were saying) allowing more pitch to the negative side, maybe the way the rod bends slightly to push the aileron up. But if not I don't see how leveling my ailerons out by adjusting the rod length wouldn't equal this action out. It has to be.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:46 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Good luck on the Maiden - let us know how it goes and what your think of the plane.

Just finished the Yak. Probably will get to maiden her tomorrow - wind is supposed to drop under 10 mph late afternoon

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:30 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
well my props (apc 12x3.8sf) and my power up servos showed up today!! this being the first SF props i've bought i was kinda suprised at how big these things are.

the servos look outstanding and feel very solid. another pleasant suprise is the servo arm is a little longer than the ones that come with the hitec hs55 and hs65's. may get a tad more throw out of these!!

now just gotta wait till tuesday for the plane to get here.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:41 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Been meaning to mention this....

All of the T1 3D planes I have built so far have a problem with the inside trailing edge tip of the ailerons binding against the side of the fuse at full throw. It is much easier to fix this before you glue the wing in place. Just flip the wing upside down and use a straight edge & xacto knife to cut a pie shaped wedge off the inside of the aileron. Point of the wedge at the top of the aileron, wide part of the wedge ( about 1/4") at the trailing edge.

When finished, the inside edge of the aileron will angle away from the fuse a little

Hope that makes sense

Sounds like you will be in the air soon, Hoghead. Good for you.

I have been admiring the Yak while watching the glue dry - LOL. She is a mean looking little airplane. Kind of feels like she will be an extremely agile sport flier more than a 3D flyer - which is fine with me. Gotta be one of the better buys on the planet at $39 for the kit. Anxious to see how she flies

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 16, 2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Good luck on the Maiden - let us know how it goes and what your think of the plane.

Just finished the Yak. Probably will get to maiden her tomorrow - wind is supposed to drop under 10 mph late afternoon

Wolfe
I don't know why I assumed I could adjust travel for each side of the servo. My DX7s has two sets of percentages listed but they change together and I can't select them individually. I guess that's for a dual servo per aileron setup or something.

Anyway, I tried pysically moving the servo horns again 1 tooth towards the front of the wing, and got different results this time (may have been my error last time). The up and down pitches are close to 20 now but still not perfect with each other... I guess subtrim and trial & error for the rest, as it seems it's not a perfect science at this point.

I'm still looking for the right 9g servo, one of these exi servos is sticking a little. Going to have fun replacing it. They seemed to have worked better on my heli, a tad shakey on this plane, not jittery just not completely smooth.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:55 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Make sure you selected dual aileron under the wing type.

Then make sure you are NOT using a Y harness on the aileron servos. You want the right aileron in the aileron channel on the receiver and the left aileron in channel 6 (auxilary channel) on the receiver.

That may let you set those values independently

IF not, then check under the differential setting on the radio. Differential will allow you to limit the travel on the aileron that is going down vs the amount of travel on the opposite aileron that is going up. It will therefore essentially let you limit the down vs up travel on the same aileron

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:58 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
you should be able to adjust the endpoints going both directions. usually you go to the endpoint menu and you have 100 100. well move the aileron stick left to adjust the left value, aileron stick to the right to adjust the right value. at least that is how it's done on my radio (not a spektrum tho).

might look at these servos. seem to be good quality, size is really close and these are stronger.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...g-Metal/Detail
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:22 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,213 Posts
You're right hoghead, I had to use my cyclic stick to adjust each one individuaIly, I never knew that. So I'm just going to recenter my servo horn to 90 degrees, and I'll lessen the travel of the negative pitch to equal the positive. It should be easier to get it close this way.

I still don't see how when I advanced the servo horn and got less throw on the negative side, I didn't lose anything from the positive side. Weird stuff. I might be a Parkzone BNF, or other quality kit pnp, guy after this plane, I'm sick of searching for parts that fit. I was born to fly not build .
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:27 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Glad you got it resolved, Finguz.

Don't be to quick to go to PZ BNF. They have problems too. This is only really hard the first time you go through it - once you get it resolved this time, you will know where to shop and what to get the next time.

Heads up RC has a lot of good info to help guide you through. IF you click on a picture of a motor, for example, it will bring up Prop, battery and ESC recommendations for that motor. I have found that Heads up info is pretty reliable.

Hang in there

Wolfe
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:32 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,213 Posts
Will do, thanks for all the help this far everyone, I really appreciate it.

I hear you on the PZ bnf stuff.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
This has really turned into a good, helpful thread. Seems like the TechOne group is growing, and I think it will continue to grow as more people discover the quality of these airplanes for very reasonable prices.

Looks like we are going to have several maiden flights soon - looking forward to the flight reports

Wolfe
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,213 Posts
I'm just glad ya'll accepted me after the whole "trippin" thing . Once again ahicks, I didn't mean anything confrontational by it (I was just going to leave), I went on the defense. Until I realized that's not what you meant then felt stupid . But you have even helped me before on other questions I've asked in the plane forums... Even when I was brand new to planes and was throwing the word 'plank' around, because I didn't see a problem with it, come to find out it's a bad word in the plane world. Everyone's always been really cool here. Thanks again guys.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:35 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,405 Posts
Hey, I'm glad to have you! Another plane flying around successfully is my only goal. Another new pilot gains his wings? Been doing this so long I rarely, if ever, take anything personally any more. Obviously I do screw up on occasion though!

I came into the electrics just a few months ago - with NO useful electric specific knowledge, and never having flown a foam airplane - with over 35 years RC experience (I'm a full scale pilot as well). I obviously had a LOT of questions and a lot of guys were only too happy to help. That's what happens in these forums. To help pay some of that good will back, myself and many others try to help when/if we can. Add an opinion here, or share some experience there. Together, just about the greatest bunch of people you'll ever meet!
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:49 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
I think the difference here is that no matter a newbie or experienced modeler, we choose Techone because we find T1 has the best C/P value. And with little upgrade, T1 can fly as good as any similar products but still 30% cheaper. Therefore we get equal fun on flying and modifying, and are willing to share with other modelers. I find many "name brand" pilots love to bash T1 just because they pay 3x on price. So they will not share any tips on using "cheap alternatives" to achieve goals with us. Thanks Wolfe for starting this thread.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:58 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Maiden plus 2 on the Yak. Was a little windy - 10 to 12 mph I think - but she flew well although she bounded around a lot. My rudder servo has some chatter in it, so I need to change that out. Flew her with a 9 x 6 APC the first 2 flights, but the battery came down a little warm, so I switched to a 9 x 4.7SF APC. That seemed to work better. Was getting 6 minute flights with that prop.

This plane is extremely agile even on 90% rates. Rolls were very quick. She did very well inverted - did not drop the nose much with a 1300 3s. She would probably be dead on neutral with a 1000 3s.. I am using a 200 watt motor which seemed to be enough unless you are looking for a lot of speed.

Also got in a couple of flights on the SU-31. Tried an APC 10 x 3.8 on the 2216 1250 KV T-Motor. That was the best prop I have tried so far on that motor for the way I fly.

Vince - thanks for the kind words

Wolfe