HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Welcome to the Swift Club Hoghead,

Those batteries should work fine - you might be a touch nose heavy with the 2200's, but not enough to be critical

I have close to 70 flights on my Swift now, and the hinges are holding up fine. I would just leave them - you can CA hinge them later if you have a problem

I would replace the servos sooner rather than later with some MG servos, probably around 12 - 14 gram

Nothing special on the build except glue something to the bottom of the fuse back by the rudder so that the rudder does not drag on ground during take-off & landing - pretty much anything will work - raise the tail by about 1/2 "

Keep us posted

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:05 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
awesome, thanks guys. i'm kinda excited about getting the plane now. one other thing i was wondering, are the wings removeable for transportation, or do i need to leave it in one piece? i've got an explorer but carrying 3 or 4 planes it tends to get crowded.

for servos we have used some of the micro ones from headsuprc and had good luck with them, so i'll go ahead and order some just in case!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Wings are NOT removable

I use some of the cheap MG servos from Heads Up too - have had good luck with them as well

I think you will like the Swift - she is one of my favorites. I fly mostly sport with a hint of 3D too

Wolfe
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,331 Posts
I generally fly gas powered planes, wanted to get into more 3D, and the idea of these things being so durable at the prices they can be bought for sucked me in immediately! The plane will 3D fine with 2200's.... that's why I'm here? There is no fear of cart wheeling one of these, something that would completely destroy a gasser. Dirt/grass stains on it's beak, wing tips and rudder are proof of concept. These things are meant to be flown....

The 1100mm Yak is the plane (very similar to the Swift) with removable wings.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Last edited by ahicks; Feb 12, 2013 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:23 PM
United States, CT, South Coventry
Joined Jun 2011
132 Posts
I just ordered the Swift too. I find it interesting what you say about the servos that come with the kit. According to the review video that Tony from Nitroplanes did, they state that the servos are MG. Did they change at some point and go with a plastic gear servo? If so I may just order some MG servos from HeadsupRC also.
I just started into 3D flying and have a Twisted Hobbies Edge 540 which is an absolute blast fly compared to my E-Flite Extra 300. I like the Extra but being that it's balsa there's always that "Fear Factor" when flying it but not with the TH Edge. If it crashes just toss it back in the air and fly. If it breaks just glue it back together and fly.
Rich215 is offline Find More Posts by Rich215
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Redwing RC Slick 540
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Hi Rich and Welcome,

I have the 3DH 41" Edge and the Extreme Flight 48" Extra - both balsa. I am like you - I baby those and am afraid to crash them, I really have more fun with the TechOne planes since they are so easy to fix

I thought someone in an earlier post that the stock servos stripped easily - I had a kit, so never used those myself

Wolfe
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:50 PM
United States, CT, South Coventry
Joined Jun 2011
132 Posts
I probably won't have mine until Monday or Tuesday of next week. Maybe HogHead will get his first and can let us know what type of servo shows up with the kit.

Here's the E-Flite Extra.
Rich215 is offline Find More Posts by Rich215
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Redwing RC Slick 540
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:51 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
+1.

BTW, you are thinking too much. As long as you glue them tight, they will not fall off in the air. Even if they did, your EPP plane will have very minor damage. The live hinge will hold your control surfaces at neutral position. You just reduce the power and let her glide down. I had servos jammed at full travel on my aileron, elevator and rudder, my plane survived each time.
Some of the servo side tabs stick up 1/4" in places, which is only cosmetic I guess. I could use wood or something like you guys are saying.

I was only worried about the servo coming off if I cutout & glued them on their side with the horn sticking up. Which could be a cleaner install, but not if the servo just rips off the foam. Just seems more secure pushed into the foam upright like stock. But if it would hold for sure I probably will mount them on their sides.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:53 PM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
[QUOTE=i have 1800mah and 2200mah batteries (from t-28 and albatros) and according to the website these will work, but from you guys, will these batteries work ok?

i figure the servo's will be cheap, but do they hold up decent or are they one flight and throw away servos? remember this will be flown more like a sport plane for a bit until i learn some./QUOTE]

i fly only 2200's and i was ever so slightly nose heavy with the standard servos, then when i replaced them with the MG90 servos it balanced just fine.

i would plan on getting new servos, fly the included ones till they strip, but id order replacements now because you will need them.
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich215 View Post
I probably won't have mine until Monday or Tuesday of next week. Maybe HogHead will get his first and can let us know what type of servo shows up with the kit.

Here's the E-Flite Extra.
they do come with MG servos but they strip faster than a HXT 900 plastic (i used the HXT whie waiting for my mg90)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:19 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Some of the servo side tabs stick up 1/4" in places, which is only cosmetic I guess. I could use wood or something like you guys are saying.

I was only worried about the servo coming off if I cutout & glued them on their side with the horn sticking up. Which could be a cleaner install, but not if the servo just rips off the foam. Just seems more secure pushed into the foam upright like stock. But if it would hold for sure I probably will mount them on their sides.
1/4" gap? Really? Is that because the servo lead coming out of the bottom of the servo? I did not expect that much difference. How deep are the servos mounts? I guess you would be okay If 2/3 of the hight of your servos barried in the wings.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:24 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
where do ya'll get these "mg90" servos at?

i was thinking these would do the job, whatcha think..

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Digital/Detail
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
here is a shot of the MG90 servos installed. after screwing them down they snug up to the wood nicely.
Last edited by Saqueeb; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
where do ya'll get these "mg90" servos at?

i was thinking these would do the job, whatcha think..

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Digital/Detail
same place
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Metal/Detail

use them in helis too, very durable.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:36 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
1/4" gap? Really? Is that because the servo lead coming out of the bottom of the servo? I did not expect that much difference. How deep are the servos mounts? I guess you would be okay If 2/3 of the hight of your servos barried in the wings.
Yeah, the stock servo 'depth' is about 14mm, like most 9g servos I've seen before. The MG90's are about 23mm at the deepest point, because they have a little round popout on the bottom for the motor or something, and they are a 14g servo.

What to do...

VinceTT how do you feel about the mounting the servo on it's side? I should've probably bought 9g servos.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz