wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:11 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
So CA or hot glue, which is best? Or, either's fine?

And it seems like CA turns plastic brittle sometimes.
Depends on how tight the fit is. Hot glue will fill in the gap if any.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:47 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,153 Posts
Well I got the mg90's today. My new problem is the mg90 servos are deeper than the stock one, which I didn't anticipate. Basically if I cut anymore depth out of the foam, I would probably come out the top side of the wings. I don't think it's going to work...
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
A little variance in hight is fine as long as your servo arm and rush rod won't bind. You might need to bend your push rod a little after installing the servo arm extension and ez connectors anyway.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,153 Posts
So if my tabs are like 3/16" above my foam, it shouldn't mattter much? Would I build up underneath the servo tabs with hot glue? Thinking about it I could probably cut the tabs off even... or just leave them for now.

I thought about making some wooden templates for it but that just adds weight, and might look real ugly, that thick.

I did notice a lot of binding, it seemed, on the control rods with the old servos. Do you think the bending you speak of would help this? Or is that just how it is, rotational motion being converted to linear motion. I have ez connectors servo side and z-bends on the control surface side, which is probably stock I'm guessing.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:38 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Don't cut the tabs off - you may want to use those servos in another plane sometime and you might need them

you could hot glue something up against the servo on both sides under the tabs - something round - like little piece of wooden dowel or bamboo scewer

You don't want it to bind - perhaps bent the control rod a little so it is going straight nto the control horn

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:21 PM
United States, PA, Catawissa
Joined Jul 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Well I got the mg90's today. My new problem is the mg90 servos are deeper than the stock one, which I didn't anticipate. Basically if I cut anymore depth out of the foam, I would probably come out the top side of the wings. I don't think it's going to work...
Dont cut the tab off. Instead of fitting those servos vertically, try to cut the foam so that servos can be fitted horizontally and use hot glue to hold them in their slots
rc4u is offline Find More Posts by rc4u
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,153 Posts
I thought about mounting them on their side too rc4u. Just not sure how good it would hold up. That might be the thing to do.

Alternately I could use the exi d213f servos out of my clone heli. They fit perfectly, no mods, and they're digital. They've always been decent on my heli too, but I might even sell that heli or wait and put better ones on anyway like I've been meaning to. As for putting the mg90's on my heli... I don't know that I trust them that much. I only trust the exi's so far as it is. But I could just hold onto the mg90's for now if nothing else, they are nice.

Exi d213f servo specs- http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/exi/d213f

PS sorry for the heli-talk.
Last edited by finguz; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,153 Posts
So in thinking about it, if I use the exi servos I'm not sure the horns would be long enough. They are only 16mm to the furthest hole out, the stock techone horns were about 24mm gluing an extension on... which I guess I could do with the exi servos if I had to. For the mg90's I got these nylon horns from headsuprc that are 24mm and fit, but they are kind of thin, I might glue two together.

As far as gluing the servos in horizontally... wouldn't it be easier for the servo to pull itself off glued this way? With the twisting motion of the servo continually pulling the servo from glue... as opposed to the stock setup where the surrounding foam holds the servo in place from twisting as force is applied to the surface? Maybe it's a mountain out of a mole hill but I would rather not chop the plane up if it's not going to work well. What do you guys think? I'm the first to put mg90's in a techone 35.4"? Would the glue hold the servo mounted horizontally, no problem?
Last edited by finguz; Feb 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:01 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,753 Posts
Quote:
Can you hot glue on a small balsa wood plate onto the foam on both sides of the servo at the tab mounting area to compensate for the height difference. My SU - 31 actually showed the servos being mounted that way.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
Can you hot glue on a small balsa wood plate onto the foam on both sides of the servo at the tab mounting area to compensate for the height difference. My SU - 31 actually showed the servos being mounted that way.
+1.

BTW, you are thinking too much. As long as you glue them tight, they will not fall off in the air. Even if they did, your EPP plane will have very minor damage. The live hinge will hold your control surfaces at neutral position. You just reduce the power and let her glide down. I had servos jammed at full travel on my aileron, elevator and rudder, my plane survived each time.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:51 PM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
+1

this is exactly what i did with my MG90 servos, medium CA'ed 2 small pieces of 1/8" ply on each side of the opening and screw the sevos into that. works great.

also i used a dremel and sanded down the top of the horn flat, where the screw goes into the servo. this way the screw has more threads going into the servo ( due to having to go through the extension arms that come with the swift) and i added a dab of blue loc tite to the threads. works great!
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
well i ordered the techone swift arf today from nitroplanes. hope i didn't screw up!! anyway, this will be my first 3d style plane. i have an apprentice, a t-28, an albatros, and an aerosky sbach (55"). have been putting together a list for the extreme flight edge 540, but got to thinking that i might need to get a foam plane to learn 3d stuff on before stepping up to balsa.

so, since this thing is coming pretty much ready to go, i got a few questions.

i have 1800mah and 2200mah batteries (from t-28 and albatros) and according to the website these will work, but from you guys, will these batteries work ok?

i figure the servo's will be cheap, but do they hold up decent or are they one flight and throw away servos? remember this will be flown more like a sport plane for a bit until i learn some.

any other problem areas i need to watch for during the build? read a little about hinges wearing, and i kinda expected that, so should i just put in CA hinges to start?
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:15 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,349 Posts
You're gonna really enjoy that plane for purely sport flying! The 2200's work fine. 10 minute flight times while screwing around not difficult at all....

Servos will screw up eventually, but that's a non event. They're easily replaced with servo's that will take terrific abuse very inexpensively.

Try it as is, without beefing the hinges or anything else up. If you see/have an issue as you're flying it later on, deal with it then
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:31 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
from what i've read the swift should be pretty good at 3d stuff. i figure my batteries being on the larger side might kill the 3d stuff, but should make the sport side quite a bit better.

i was hoping that this plane would turn out to be decent. the price had me a little worried ($130 including shipping and a receiver for my 9x transmitter). seems really cheap, but the reviews i've seen all point to a good flier.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150