SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:56 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Ahicks,

I admire anyone who is willing to fly in the cold and snow - I have been suffering through temps in the high 70's most of the time so far this winter.

If I was not so enchanted with low, slow, eye level figure eights with a roll at the crossover point to change direction, I would not be having nearly so much fun gluing the nose back on LOL

Oh well, glue is cheap

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:06 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I seem to have developed a real talent for breaking the nose off my swift - did it again this afternoon. Already fixed and reinforced with a popsicle stick this time LOL.

I may have to order another one soon - this one is starting to look pretty ragged. Still flies OK though

Wolfe
I broke the nose of my big Yak 54 many times, missing many pieces of the foam, so I ended up using white Gorilla glue to rebuild the back of the motor mount, and then glass the broken part with thin CA. It's ugly but works well.

I flew my little Yak 54 today after letting her sit for 5 months. I was surprised that this little Yak did some high energy stuff really well, better than her bigger sibling. I used to fly her using buddy box with kids so today was the first time I did solo for a significant time. mount a key chain camera on my hat and took vedios for all 4 flights. But when I uploaded the videos I found I only captured the take off and landing and some fast pass-by because most of the times I rolled my eyes instead of turning my head. I need to ask my wife to take a video next time.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:48 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well it probably doesn't make sense to order another one as long as this keeps flying, unless I just get it as a back-up while it's in stock and the price is reduced. I am not overly concerned with how pretty she is

I am anxious to get the Small Yak and Katana and see how they fly. I would like to find one that flies slowly enough that I can just fly it in the front yard. Space is tight there, though, with enough strategically placed trees and mail boxes to make it challenging - still

I was flying my 3DH 41" Edge today too. I have that one and a 48" Extreme Flight Extra - both balsa with really good electronics in them. I was thinking while I was flying that I really should just sell both of those planes before I wreck them. I worry about those 2 planes, and therefore, just don't enjoy flying them as much as the TechOne planes which are much easier to repair and much less expensive to replace.

I guess that is why I like both TechOne and GWS airplanes so much. Both brands fly pretty well and are easy to repair and relatively cheap. Both the TechOne and the GWS are capable of better flight than I am capable of, so why bother with the more expensive and easily damaged Balsa Planes. Since I don't worry so much about breaking them, I think I learn more on them since I am more willing to try new things.

I kind of feel the same way about Parkzone planes now (I have the Spitfire and the SE5a) - why bother with the heavier more expensive airplanes when the cheaper and lighter GWS and Dynam plane fly just as well?

I really do like TechOne, in case you could not tell LOL

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Well, as I said the small yak does well at high energy stuff- meaning she likes to fly fast. So you have to work her to get slow, but definitely doable at harrier with very little wing rock. You will like her!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:28 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Harrier is one of the things I am working on. Those, flat rudder turns, spins, and rolling circles - which I do not do well yet at all.

I made the mistake for many years of just mixing in a little rudder with elevator to get coordinated turns. Consequently, I am what I fondly call "rudder retarded", and still flying endless patterns to try to become "instinctive" on rudder input.

Sometimes I think I am making progress - then I break the nose off the Swift AGAIN . LOL

I think I will like the Yak too - will look forward to your videos. I am thinking that the YAK will be something like "A more agile GWS Mosa 1"

I was going to get a Multiplex Parkmaster. But then I realized I could get the Katana and the Yak for the same price, so why not

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,361 Posts
Guys, in removing the stock servos I noticed the wooden servo mounts are missing off my 330 extra plane, from when the original guy built it. I was able to get the old servos out, but I wanted to see what your guys' advice on putting the new ones in.. should I look for some wooden mounts somwhere first or just glue the servos in?

The stock servos were glued on their sides and pushed into the space. To get them out I ran an exacto knife down each side of the servo. I'm not sure what glue to use either, if I were to glue the new ones back in. But I also want to be able to replace one if I have to in the future. I have hot glue and ca glue, but will get whatever else I need.

It sounds like I should try to get some servo mounts. Any advice?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:51 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I would just hot glue them in. One trick is to wrap them in electrical tape and then hot glue them in, but I would not bother with that either.

If you really want to screw them in, just glue some plastic down where the screws will go - any plastic will do - then screw them into the plastic

Don't use CA - will be harder to get them out than if you use hot glue

Wolfe
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
The stock servos were glued on their sides and pushed into the space. To get them out I ran an exacto knife down each side of the servo. I'm not sure what glue to use either, if I were to glue the new ones back in. But I also want to be able to replace one if I have to in the future. I have hot glue and ca glue, but will get whatever else I need.

It sounds like I should try to get some servo mounts. Any advice?
This is what I will do.

Use the masking tape to wrap around the servo everything (including the servo lead) under the mounting tabs, and then use hot glue (a little bit at bottom and the two larger surfaces) to mount the servos. If you want to remove the servos, just pull them out hard, the masking tape will separated from your servos first, and then you can pull out the masking tape easily without damaging the surrounding foam.

Or you can use two small piece of wood to make a mount, and use screws for mounting your servos. but the bonding between wood and EPP is troublesome.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
LOL - Vince and I were posting at the same time. But now you have a couple of good workable solutions

Wolfe
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
hahah.. you stole my thunder!

Actually I learned that technique of wrapping servos with tape from the GWS thread you opened.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:29 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
That GWS thread and this one are my 2 favorites - good people & good info on both of them

Wolfe
Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,361 Posts
You guys are awesome, thanks once again. I'll use the tape and hot glue, what a great idea. And it sounds like the bond would be stronger than using the wood pieces anyway.

I'm starting to like this thread!

Before your guys' posts, I thought about using these mini-to-micro servo adaptor pictured below, I have one I bought for something else and the carbonfiber looked kind of cool dry-fitting it. But I like the tape and glue idea even better, and it's free.
Last edited by finguz; Feb 11, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
I use the tape plan, and a single drop of medium CA on each side. Xacto blade has no trouble at all removing the servo, and servo seems secure enough...
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:28 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
That should be fine

Wolfe
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,361 Posts
So CA or hot glue, which is best? Or, either's fine?

And it seems like CA turns plastic brittle sometimes.