HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:32 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,382 Posts
Awesome, thanks! That's good to know, I would have otherwise bought the foam safe stuff. So many things to learn in this hobby, hearing it here is a lot better than trial and error .
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:30 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
These forums often have some good info on them - not always. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Got in a few more flights on my Swift and SU-31 today. Didn't break anything LOL. I noticed that the wing on my Swift is looking a little warped - right wing tip seems to be bowed up just a touch. Must have done that in one of my recent crashes

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:05 AM
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
Well you guys talked me into it I bought the beacon foam tac earlier today and I also talked to Pete over at beacon im assuming he's the owner of the company if all goes well with my new swift I'm gonna buy a case of the foam tac at whole sale cost and distribute it locally hear in NC . I as able to find a few you tube videos on it and it looks to be the absolute best glue you can buy for any type of foamy . Thanks guys
addicted2flight is offline Find More Posts by addicted2flight
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:07 AM
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
Does the swift have much wing rock are different or bigger spars useful for this plane? Also what is the motor on the swift equivalent to .10 .15 or bigger?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:35 AM
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
Also does this plane have any issue when going into and coming out of hi speed dives if extra spars are needed please list the sizes?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:41 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2flight View Post
Does the swift have much wing rock are different or bigger spars useful for this plane? Also what is the motor on the swift equivalent to .10 .15 or bigger?
Wing rock has nothing to do with the size of spar, it's purely a design issue.

My rule is finding the lightest motor that can swimg a prop up to 28% of the wing span, and give me a minimum of 150w/lb for a foamie. Not all .10 motor perform the same. So you really need to look at their spac.

Yes, the stock spar and wings will be fine for pulling out of a wot dive, but you will see them folding a bit. I glued a 12" 3mm CF rod to the wing spar with thick CA at the joint. It works fine. Anyway, it's a foamie, you might find not much of a reason doing Wot dive, foamie is not so good at flat spin. My reinforcement is for doing walls and tumbles.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:11 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
These forums often have some good info on them - not always. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Got in a few more flights on my Swift and SU-31 today. Didn't break anything LOL. I noticed that the wing on my Swift is looking a little warped - right wing tip seems to be bowed up just a touch. Must have done that in one of my recent crashes

Wolfe
How do you like flying the Swift in comparison to your SU-31.
I Just got an SU-31 about six weeks ago and honestly I just can not stop flying this thing it is just a blast to fly. I probably have easily over 75-100 flights on it already. I have been seeing the Swift on here so I looked it up and it looks like a really cool plane too.
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Foamyflyer,

I like them both, but I like the Swift better.

Keep in mind that my flying style is more "Sport/Aerobatic" than"3D". I really got both of these airplanes to learn to use my rudder and to start learning some of the basic 3D maneuvers. So from that standpoint, the slower they fly, the more time I have to engage my brain and try something new - i know - engaging your brain is always dangerous LOL.

I think the Swift is more stable at slow speeds than the SU-31. And it is smoother - less sudden - in all things.

I can't imagine that you would be anything but pleased with the Swift, if you like the SU-31. And they fly differently enough that they are not the same airplane.

The Swift has become my "go to" airplane. In fact, if I could only have one airplane, it would be the Swift.

Addicted......

I went back through all of your posts, and I think you are going down the wrong path with the Swift. I think you might find that you will enjoy the slower speed capabilities of this airplane more than you think you will.

I really would just build her the way she comes, except I would replace those servos with MG servos right away.

There will be so much for you to explore when you fly her. Kick your throws up to 110% with maybe 50% expo on your high rates and see what happens. She will be lighting quick at slow speeds. Then work your throws up to around 125 - 150%. You won't want to be going fast when you start down this path of EXTREME agility.

My experience was that with an E-Flite Power 10 and a 2200 mah 3s, was that she built out just a touch nose heavy. You want this plane to have a "neutral" CG so that when you flip to inverted she stays level. So you definitely don't want to go bigger than a 2200 3s. I am guessing an 1800 3s would be even better. So that limits your motor size (and weight) if you want to maintain decent flight times. I get about 5 minutes the way I am set up at mixed throttle input - I rarely fly WAT

I had to add a couple of screws to the back of the fuse to balance mine. Better not to have to do this, since you also want to keep the total AUW as light as possible. That is another reason you don't want to start adding additional bracing if you don't have to.

This plane flies very well as she comes out of the box. I would fly her first, then make any changes that i felt were necessary. The only changes I would make to start out would be to change your servos and add a little piece of something to the bottom of the fuse back by the rudder to keep the rudder off the ground when you take off and land - I just used a piece of a popsicle stick

I Have had several crashes on mine. They only damage has been to rip the rudder off when when I landed inverted one time, and to break off the nose right behind the firewall. Both of those were pretty easy fixes

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:30 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,502 Posts
I couldn't agree more, especially the part about weight and CG! I bought this plane to tote around 2200mah batteries I already had. I made the mistake of going with a fairly high output 106g motor. It's a rocket, but it required tail weight to balance where I wanted it. Much better plan would have been to go with a 70ish gram motor so I did not need that tail weight! The right 70 gram motor still has PLENTY of power - and actually will be enhanced by the fact the plane is so much lighter - due to the lighter motor and no need for "ballast" in the tail....
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:50 PM
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
Hey all you guys that fly the swift could you post some videos I've seen allot of videos of the slow speed handling but I want tho see some hi speed passes sport flying characteristics off this awesome looking plane. I'll have mine tomorrow but since I've been convinced on using beacon foam tac ill be waiting a few more days to get it in the air. But as soon as I do I'll make some videos and post my comments on it. Upload away guys! Please
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:37 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
445 Posts
NitroPlanes has this with everything but the battery and receiver- what do you guys think of the power setup? The plane is Here
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I would give that ARF a shot - pretty good price

Wolfe
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:41 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I seem to have developed a real talent for breaking the nose off my swift - did it again this afternoon. Already fixed and reinforced with a popsicle stick this time LOL.

I may have to order another one soon - this one is starting to look pretty ragged. Still flies OK though

Wolfe
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:49 PM
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
NitroPlanes has this with everything but the battery and receiver- what do you guys think of the power setup? The plane is Here
I would definitely buy this please as a matter of fact I just ordered it my self . This planes seems to be one of the most popular planes techone has to offer and that isn't the regular price just the other day it was 132.99 I was able to get a 2200mah gens ace 3s lipo and a flysky 6ch rx with this plane for 156.00 shipped that's the cheapest plane ive ever bought! Good luck post videos guys
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,502 Posts
Sounds to me like it's serving it's purpose - over and over again? Nice to hear you're getting your money's worth!

I'd be doing the same myself, but previous tries have ended up trying to dry the snow out of the motor and speed control every time I stuff it into a snow bank!
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks