HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:00 AM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
Are you guys using a prop save on the SWIFT? with a 11.v lipo? i have found 11.1 tends to not work to well with prop savers, mine always just snap the o-rings.... but it would be great if i could get one to work. also how are you using them on the T motor that came with the swift? not using the actual threaded bolt on prop mount and flipping the motor around so the main shaft is being used instead?
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:29 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,434 Posts
I don't think a prop saver is ever going to work out well on a motor that's capable of doing a good job on a Swift? That's me though.

What I have found is that the brown/tan colored props from HK are super durable! I was breaking the APC E props like they were toothpicks - and getting pretty tired of it. Discovered the HK props looking for a less expensive alternative.

For whatever reason, the US warehouse never seems to have them available in the 11.5" size. So I'm ordering 12" (link below) and cutting them down to 11". It's easily done and even with balancing takes 15 minutes max. The bonus for your trouble is the durability!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
i am running 12' and 11' props with no issue. 12x3.8 and 11x4. the 12 seems to work a lot better for 3d, where the 11 is a faster prop for general sport flying. i prefer the 12x3.8.

I'm using this motor: T-Motor AS2814 1000KV

i agree i can't see a prop saver being a good idea on the swift.
Last edited by Saqueeb; Feb 07, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:48 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I use an 11 x 5.5 APC on an E-Flite Power 10 - break one every now and then, but not enough to worry about - no prop saver

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:39 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
What prop adaptor are you using? If that is a removable one, you can loosen the two screws that hold the o-ring and take the adaptor off the shaft. This type of receiver typically has two mounts at each side with different diameter. One will fit 9" prop and up and the other for 8" and down. Go to Ace or Homedepot to buy the a surgical tube. Cut it into 1/6" piece and replace the o-ring with two of the homemade o-ring. You will never lose your prop in the air.
http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/prop-s...3lga8psrpv7n13 Take a look at the two mounts on each side.
http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/prop-s...3lga8psrpv7n13 example of the homemade o-ring
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, the adaptor and the prop saver is the same thing right?

I'm pretty sure my prop adaptor is stock, maybe you can make it out in the picture below. But I also got these from HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8240
Which are almost identical to the ones you posted just then, except mine are 3mm. So the band is all that 'drives' the prop? I would imagine there would be a prop adaptor that was hexagonal like the inside of my prop. Either way it doesn't seem to really seat down on the prop adaptor... maybe I have the adaptor flipped, I'll check.

The generic gws 9050 prop looks identical to the gws, at least how it mounts.

I will try the tubing, great, thanks for the idea. What gauge or thickness of tubing do you use? I've heard the o-ring type I have aren't the greatest.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Last edited by finguz; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
delete... sorry
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
if we are talking about the SWIFT then no. my motor is turned around 180 degrees with the prop adapter on the back, and the original motor shaft goes through the motor mount pointing towards the back of the plane.

just like the attached pic.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:34 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Just to make sure I'm on the same page, the adaptor and the prop saver is the same thing right?

I'm pretty sure my prop adaptor is stock, maybe you can make it out in the picture below. But I also got these from HK:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8240
Which are almost identical to the ones you posted just then, except mine are 3mm. So the band is all that 'drives' the prop? I would imagine there would be a prop adaptor that was hexagonal like the inside of my prop. Either way it doesn't seem to really seat down on the prop adaptor... maybe I have the adaptor flipped, I'll check.

The generic gws 9050 prop looks identical to the gws, at least how it mounts.

I will try the tubing, great, thanks for the idea. What gauge or thickness of tubing do you use? I've heard the o-ring type I have aren't the greatest.
Yes, prop adaptor is the same as prop saver. I have exactly the same setup in my 36" Yak, so I am pretty sure a 9050DD will fit if you flipped the prop saver over. I have not seen a hexagonal adaptor though. I remembered the 9050DD will be a slightly lose fit but the o-ring will do the trick. I ended up using 10x4.7 on this motor, much better power but will get overheated if you like WOT a lot.
I went to ACE hardware and they only carry one type of surgical tube which is sold by foot. The outside diameter is around 1/3". I bought a foot, used in four EPP planes that have been through many many crashes, I still have 2/3 foot left after a season.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:16 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Quote:
I've heard of those t-pro mg90's, though I l've never used them before. On my first 450 heli I used exi metal gear servos which seem to work ok, when I actually received good ones (that didn't shake or stick)and they are about the same amount as the t-pro mg90's.

It seems ridiculous to put even $35 total worth of servos in this $70-90 foamie. But I do need something somewhat reliable...

What about hitech hs-55's? Other than being plastic gear, they seem like decent specs @ $10ea.

I probably will go with something like the mg90's, just thinking outloud.
Try the new Hitect HS 5055MG. They are pretty amazing at $17.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
those look nice just not strong enough ( not enough torque) for a SWIFT.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Yes, prop adaptor is the same as prop saver. I have exactly the same setup in my 36" Yak, so I am pretty sure a 9050DD will fit if you flipped the prop saver over. I have not seen a hexagonal adaptor though. I remembered the 9050DD will be a slightly lose fit but the o-ring will do the trick. I ended up using 10x4.7 on this motor, much better power but will get overheated if you like WOT a lot.
I went to ACE hardware and they only carry one type of surgical tube which is sold by foot. The outside diameter is around 1/3". I bought a foot, used in four EPP planes that have been through many many crashes, I still have 2/3 foot left after a season.
Cool I'll see if flipping it around fixes it. Yes it's definitely a loose fit, hard to explain but I think it's the same looseness as your saying

I'll keep that 10x4.7 prop in mind. The stock esc gets hot enough as it is though, just on the bench.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper62 View Post
The only thing is that would be $80 worth of servos on a $70-90 plane. They seem nice though.

DaveCoen, mine is a 330 extra, only 35.4' wingspan.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
You were right VinceTT, I had to flip it around. Sorry for the stupid question but thanks a lot! It's not so loose now, fits good. Now to get tubing and servos.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Feb 2013
13 Posts
Hi I just bought the techone swift but I haven't received it yet I have a couple of questions for you guys that have a little more experience than me first I have acquired 3 different types of glue shoe goo,foam safe CA, and a hot glue gun which I really like whats the best choice and strongest for epp ? Also I did buy the arf version but I've heard its not very powerful I was thinking about using either a rimfire or an O.S. motor/esc setup keep in mind I'm brand new to 3d and I really like sport flying so I want something fast with the option to do 3d maneuvers if I can! Also would this airframe hold up to a 4s setup if so let me know what combos to look at. thanks you may text or call me at 9192645898 my name is Daniel
addicted2flight is offline Find More Posts by addicted2flight
Last edited by addicted2flight; Feb 07, 2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:11 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,196 Posts
Quote:
You were right VinceTT, I had to flip it around. Sorry for the stupid question but thanks a lot! It's not so loose now, fits good. Now to get tubing and servos.
You are welcome. Enjoy!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT