wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:26 PM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl22 View Post
You will want to epoxy glue some 1/8 plywood doublers to the lower fuse around the landing gear mount or it will rip out of the foam. Great plane. Good luck and Congrats.

Mark
i have found this to be true also.

I do find the SWIFT to be a very gentile landing plane, i can get her to harrier in and land with almost zero rollout, and if there is any type of headwind she can 3 point land very easily.
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:23 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,281 Posts
Agreed, the Swift generally pretty gentle on it's gear. If you damage that one it's because you screwed up! But that's why we're flying these, right? Because they handle screw ups as well as they do?

I managed to pull mine out, but it was because there was hardly any glue holding it in place from the factory. Took care of that and added a small piece of light ply to the bottom - to absorb some of the stress from the LG wires pushing back on a hard landing. Have not had a problem since. I did wrap the gear with a couple turns of safety wire to prevent them from spreading and blowing out the sides of the landing gear box too though. -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:49 AM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,014 Posts
So I guess one of my stock aileron servos are bad. At 100% travel on both I get about 30 degrees throw on one, and on the other I get hardly anything. If I look at the servos one physically has more range of motion than the other, which has very little range. I'm guessing it's the servo... I have (2) 9g exi d213f's metal geared servos I was thinking of trying out. Wish me luck on getting the stock ones out without ruining something.

Any other ideas why this might be happening?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:29 AM
Joined Dec 2011
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
So I guess one of my stock aileron servos are bad. At 100% travel on both I get about 30 degrees throw on one, and on the other I get hardly anything. If I look at the servos one physically has more range of motion than the other, which has very little range. I'm guessing it's the servo... I have (2) 9g exi d213f's metal geared servos I was thinking of trying out. Wish me luck on getting the stock ones out without ruining something.

Any other ideas why this might be happening?
I found the stock servos that came with my SWIFT (from nitro planes) to be the worst garbage i have ever used. 1 showed up with stripped gears, the other 3 all stripped out within 2 flights and this was all from flying, no crashes. Hell, the HXT 900's i put in until i could get some new servos ordered would last until they were jolted quite hard, the stock ones stripped out on simple high rate aileron rolls, and flat spins.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,014 Posts
What servos did you eventually put in?

I would order som hxt900's but it would take 3 more weeks from china! I might have to.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
533 Posts
i went with T-pro MG90 servos i got them from headsupRC. very fast shipping and cheap and in the USA.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Metal/Detail

I run nice hitec/futaba digitals in all of my nice nitro/electric planes and heli's , bu tin this SWIFT foamy i have a hard time running servos the cost as much as the rest of the entire airplane. especially when i consider it to be just training/ try new things 3D plane, so it is going to hit the ground plenty.

i have no problem throwing $35+ servos in a plane that costs $600+ but in a sub $100 plane that is for training it seems like a huge waste of $$ to me.

the T-Pro MG90 have plenty of torque and are very tough ( i have crashed 450 helis with them in it and they work fine still) and inexpensive.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:52 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,014 Posts
I've heard of those t-pro mg90's, though I l've never used them before. On my first 450 heli I used exi metal gear servos which seem to work ok, when I actually received good ones (that didn't shake or stick)and they are about the same amount as the t-pro mg90's.

It seems ridiculous to put even $35 total worth of servos in this $70-90 foamie. But I do need something somewhat reliable...

What about hitech hs-55's? Other than being plastic gear, they seem like decent specs @ $10ea.

I probably will go with something like the mg90's, just thinking outloud.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:39 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,179 Posts
hs55 would work but might not survive after crash. I bought cheap MG servos from EBay and leaderhobby from $3.00/ piece without bearing to $5.50/piece with ball bearing (clone of 65 mg). Those no bearing one (1.6kg@4.8v) worn out or jam up after one season, and the one with bearing worked (2.0kg@4.8v) EXACTLY the SAME. But, I don't care if these servos last for more than a season, given the price differences, I can replace them at the beginning of each season for five seasons, I doubt the airframe can survive that long.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:07 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I use HS-55's in many of my GWS airplanes. i have had good luck with them, but still, I would not put them in 3D foamie. I think you would be better off with one of the metal gear servos mention in the thread - they are about the same money or even less than the HiTecs

Had another low level, slow crash on my Swift today - I have been hard on that plane lately LOL. I think I just broke the prop - at least nothing fell off. Will have to give her a closer inspection later

I could save myself a lot of trouble it I was flying her higher, but I am "enchanted" by eye level inverted figure eights at the moment LOL

Wolfe
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,014 Posts
I have exi d213f's in my clone heli, I might just upgrade those servos and put the exi's in my foamie. They seem to be decent.

Maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy some mg90's.

I do like the hitech 65mg's I have on my 450 trex, maybe I'll check out the ones VinceTT mentioned.

I'm still undecide right now. But the MG90's sound pretty good though, is leaderhobby (or HeadsUpRC) the best place to get them? And are they both reputable companies?

I get sick of dealing with issues, I wanna fly this thing!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:04 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heads Up is extremely reputable - they are my first choice every time

Wolfe
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,179 Posts
Leaderhobby used to be the cheapest place for RC parts, they have many different identities on Ebay as well. Don't expect any customer service from them though. Most of their stuffs are shipped from Hongkong to US in 2 to 3 weeks, no shipping information what so ever, but all my orders had been delivered in good condition. Their EMP motor are the same as Turnigy, Aeolian motor (not sure if a re-branded EMP) definitely has better quality. Their no-name servos are okay, I bought 20+ MG servos used in my warbirds and EPP 3Ds, 3 out of 20 were cooked after a season (no crash). Skywing ESC are junk, bought 4 and none of them reaches their claimed capacity.
Last edited by Vince_TT; Feb 06, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:22 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,014 Posts
I'll check them both out thanks guys. I probably will go with the TowerPro MG90's.

I have one more detail that's bugging me, prop related. My 330 extra takes a 9x5 GWS prop, so I got the generic gws style from Hobbyking... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5Pcs_Bag_.html
Because they were out of stock on the original gws 9050. But it seems my prop saver doesn't work with these... do I need a prop saver that has a hexagonal connection on it like on these generic gws prop? Otherwise all that spins the prop is the pressure from the prop saver band holding the prop onto the prop saver mount. The guy I got this plane from had an APC prop on it temporarily that was just round where it mounted to the prop saver... so I guess in that case the prop saver band was turning the prop. Make sense? I'm new at this stuff sorry. It seems with a lot of this stuff you just have to make it work...

I can upload pics if I have to.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:48 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,179 Posts
What prop adaptor are you using? If that is a removable one, you can loosen the two screws that hold the o-ring and take the adaptor off the shaft. This type of receiver typically has two mounts at each side with different diameter. One will fit 9" prop and up and the other for 8" and down. Go to Ace or Homedepot to buy the a surgical tube. Cut it into 1/6" piece and replace the o-ring with two of the homemade o-ring. You will never lose your prop in the air.
http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/prop-s...3lga8psrpv7n13 Take a look at the two mounts on each side.
http://www.rcplanebuilder.com/prop-s...3lga8psrpv7n13 example of the homemade o-ring
Last edited by Vince_TT; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:53 AM.