HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:54 PM
Registered User
Saqueeb's Avatar
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
550 Posts
What kind of servos do you guys use on your Swift? I have been tearing up hxt900's with just normal 3d nothing super aggressive. I'd like something better without spending $20+ per servo.

Thanks
Dave
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:22 PM
Registered User
rpstar's Avatar
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCoen View Post
What kind of servos do you guys use on your Swift? I have been tearing up hxt900's with just normal 3d nothing super aggressive. I'd like something better without spending $20+ per servo.

Thanks
Dave
Well, hxt900's just plain suck. Get something with metal gears and torque equivalent to a HS-65BB. HXT900's are for crap foamies under 40" wingspan (unless it's some cheap, cheap glider or something). Supposedly the Powerhd servos are good but have not used them (check valuehobby.com for them). Could also try the E-flite or Parkzone digital metal gear servos. They are ok and sell for about $13 each.
rpstar is online now Find More Posts by rpstar
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
798 Posts
Hs-65mg or 5065mg. Was fortunate to buy a bunch at dealer cost but I know there are good ones out there for a lot less. ....just dont have the hitech name(and price).
Pilot Fatigue is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
Last edited by Pilot Fatigue; Feb 01, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:40 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
wolfewinde's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I have been using the HS 65's. But I have also had good luck with Emax metal gear servos on other planes - a lot less expensive

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:40 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
Dave,
I'd go metal gears on the tail at minimum? HK has a few different ones (5.00 -8.00) in stock at the US warehouse, so no long delay in getting those? Turnigy/TGY, Corona, Hextronic, hard to go wrong at these prices? -Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:26 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Dave,
I'd go metal gears on the tail at minimum? HK has a few different ones (5.00 -8.00) in stock at the US warehouse, so no long delay in getting those? Turnigy/TGY, Corona, Hextronic, hard to go wrong at these prices? -Al

I inherited a Techone SU-31 from a friend that sold it to me bare bones without any electronics on it. I went with HS 65MG servos all the way around. An investment I know but I have been flying this thing like crazy five or so days a week now for about a month now and it is silky smooth in the air. No regrets on my part on putting good servos on a plane that I am going to fly that much. Ya get what you pay for.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:09 AM
Registered User
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
Regarding "you get what you pay for"? I wouldn't knock these Chinese servos much until you try them? I get how you might use more expensive servos for contest flying or in more valuable planes, but the cheap mg servos actually work pretty good given a chance, especially in a foamie you plan on beating the tar out of? On the plus side as well, you could wear them out and replace them at least 4 times for what you'd pay for a Hitec? Dunno, they just make more sense to me. Everyone's different!
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:52 AM
Registered User
rpstar's Avatar
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Regarding "you get what you pay for"? I wouldn't knock these Chinese servos much until you try them? I get how you might use more expensive servos for contest flying or in more valuable planes, but the cheap mg servos actually work pretty good given a chance, especially in a foamie you plan on beating the tar out of? On the plus side as well, you could wear them out and replace them at least 4 times for what you'd pay for a Hitec? Dunno, they just make more sense to me. Everyone's different!
That's what they were saying above. Check out the Emax or PowerHD servos. I can't speak to their centering/jitter but I've heard other flyers who I trust saying good things at least about the Powerhd ones. Hitec servos are precise and don't jitter like cheap servos such as the HXT900s. Hopefully the same is true of PowerHD or others but I admit i'm skeptical given the cost. In any case, they are so cheap it does not hurt to try them.

Maybe try these:

http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...ini-servo.html

Just ordered two of them myself from heads up rc. Cheaper shipping if you are just buying servos. I'll report how they work on the tail later.
rpstar is online now Find More Posts by rpstar
Last edited by rpstar; Feb 02, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
wolfewinde's Avatar
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Got in a half a dozen flights on the SU-31 this afternoon.. A bit windy, but she flew well enough. I am mostly still working on flat rudder turns. I really have trouble keeping the throttle constant while I work the rudder

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:47 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,276 Posts
Been using cheap tower pro 9g for years without and issues, centring has always been good, just built a second souka with cheap HK white 9g servos, had about 10 flights so far with no issues.
scousethief is online now Find More Posts by scousethief
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:36 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
finguz's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Hey guys, I'm setting up the travel on all the surfaces of my 35.4" Techone Extra 330 EPP but had a question. Maybe a stupid question, but I need help.

My ailerons are beveled, so when I measure the recommended throws am I supposed to measure from the part closest to the fuselage, or the part furthest away? It's obvious the two would be pretty different.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Last edited by finguz; Feb 03, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:08 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
Farthest usually....
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:42 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
finguz's Avatar
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Thanks ahicks. It's not as bad as I thought, because if you look at the picture the aileron "hinge" joint isn't straight (perpendicular to the fuselage), but instead it follows the aileron trailing edge... however it is still at least 1 cm wider on the side closer to the fuselage, than the wing tip side. I will try furthest out (wing tip) like you say, thanks.

Also, the foam on some of my hinges looks a little thin, like something could happen to it one day.. is this normal and is there anything I can add like tape (even though it doesn't stick very well) to ensure the aileron won't tear off the wing? Maybe it's not as bad as I think. I haven't flown it because I'm still waiting on batteries.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:01 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
Actually the live hinges on my TechOne planes (three of them) are too stiff than my liking, which reduces the throw and puts extra load to the servos. I cut two third of the live hinge open and add welder hinge for the whole length on the ailerons. You can google "welder hinge" or "hot glue hinge) and watch the instruction on YouTube.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:49 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Thanks ahicks. It's not as bad as I thought, because if you look at the picture the aileron "hinge" joint isn't straight (perpendicular to the fuselage), but instead it follows the aileron trailing edge... however it is still at least 1 cm wider on the side closer to the fuselage, than the wing tip side. I will try furthest out (wing tip) like you say, thanks.

Also, the foam on some of my hinges looks a little thin, like something could happen to it one day.. is this normal and is there anything I can add like tape (even though it doesn't stick very well) to ensure the aileron won't tear off the wing? Maybe it's not as bad as I think. I haven't flown it because I'm still waiting on batteries.

Geez, there's a disconnect on where to measure I think? Travel is usually measured at the widest part of the control surface! So ailerons and elevator are measured closest to fuse, rudder near the bottom?

Regarding the thin hinges, I would fix them when/if you manage to tear them up? I got into the mindset of reinforcing the ones on my first plane, wishing I hadn't now. Not only are you adding weight, they're getting stiffer, harder for the servo to move. Lesson learned a long time ago - you don't build a plane to crash!
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Twisted Hobbys Owners Thread! hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 9105 Today 01:03 PM
Discussion Dynam Warbird Owners Thread Merlin Power Electric Warbirds 1335 Nov 10, 2014 05:38 AM
Discussion DJI Wookong-M Owners Thread *Pics*Videos*Settings* Z06 Tony Multirotor Talk 1780 Sep 03, 2014 09:28 AM
New Product GAUI 500x/ GU-INS GPS Owners Thread - Tips, Problems And Experiences sap_2000 Multirotor Talk 231 Aug 05, 2014 05:32 AM
Discussion Classic Parkzone Radian Owners thread wingymaster Electric Sailplanes 7 May 23, 2012 11:13 AM