Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
727 Posts
Gonna build the swift next.....but getting ready to maiden the 1100mm yak today.
Tail heavy....at least according to the manual but never know with"chinglish" instructions.
Pilot Fatigue is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Don't worry about the CG. This plane can fly at a wide range of CG, mine is almost at the center of the wing.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:17 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,221 Posts
X2!
ahicks is online now Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:28 AM
Corsir Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Regarding the rudder servo on the Swift? I cut a new hole for it, well above the original, to allow it to use the control horn mounted closer to the center of the rudder? Figured the rudder would have more authority than mounted below as there would be less flex/twist in the rudder itself? Just make sure you get it high enough to clear the elevator when full up.
pictures of where you moved the serve to?
Mopower71 is online now Find More Posts by Mopower71
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl22 View Post
On my Swift, I use metal gear 9 gram servos all around. Initially I tried to get away with plastic gear servos on the rudder and elevator, but they didn't last long as they are mounted low on the rear of the fuse and take a beating from grass, sticks, leaves, rough landings, etc.
this works ok with. 9g servos ?. thought i saw to use 11-14
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
"9g" MG mostly is just a model name, means metal gears replacing plastic ones in a 9g, micro servo. All of my micro MG (Hitech, Solar, PowerHD, Trunigy) servos weight between 11 to 16 grams.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
727 Posts
Yak Maiden

Flew the best with 1300mah vs.1800. Using a turnigy 3630 and 11/5.5...nice setup..... thanks to Vince for that one. Plane can prop hang forever and rolls very well with little ke coupling but did have some wing rock..... also fun to land just needs to be flown in which I like. At 5 minutes of flight...1300 lipo was @3.85 so had a little bit left.
Only negative comment is this plane smells like rotton garbage. Didn't until the sun hit it and reacted with the foam or paint so it's new hanger is the garage until it goes away. I'm in the process of also building a Telink Su-29 and it's epp foam quality and kit is in a whole different league.... but 3x the price. Plane was well worth the cyber Monday 40.00 price tag and 15.00 turnigy motor.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,221 Posts
I used the Hextronic MG-14 servos. Metal gears, quick, and plenty of power. They're proving to be pretty durable too! I've whacked it hard a few times already!
They're on the heavier side of the recommended range, but in the back that's a moot point. Looking like I'm going to have to add weight back there anyway!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8303

Here's a pic of what I was talking about above, the modded rudder servo position? As mentioned, when positioning, make sure you consider how high up that elevator get's when full up!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
727 Posts
Nice. Going to build mine soon.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Congrats on the maiden! I like to fly this bird a bit tail heavy, so I have a lot of coupling at KE, I only mix out rudder to aileron, really easy to fly out ruder to elevator coupling because she can fly so slowly. I also found I need high AOA, like 50~60 degree, to get pass wing rock, after that she is dead solid. I fly with gens ace 1550, I always forget to set my timer so I once got 10 mins flight but almost cooked that battery. You should try 12x6 that will make a huge difference, lots of torque at hover, and tighter in KE spin. but you need to let motor cool down between flights. can't beat the value at $55!
After the Yak I bought a 3dhs 48" epp extra, much more precise in flying but requires better electronics to maximum the potential. Now I use Extra to practice sequence and Yak to practice crazy low stuff. I have heard a lot of good things about Telink, but I just cannot find a reason to buy another EPP because these two serve me well. But I probably put half pound of glues in repairing the Yak, my AUW is 2lb! So I know I am going to retire her soon..really interested in hearing how Swift flies in comparison to Yak.
Last edited by Vince_TT; Dec 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
727 Posts
3dhs....sweet I hear. Did your Yak ever stink? If so when did it stop? Mines tail heavy as well but I don't fly level too much anyway and now that you mention I recall it had less KE coupling with the 1800. Wish I could find some 1550 gens
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
I bought the Yak in summer time, she is too long to sit in my trunk so I have to put her in my back seat. That smell lasted for a good two to three weeks!
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
727 Posts
Hope u didn't have to haul that gamer far. Mercy.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Aug 2008
1,221 Posts
Regarding KE coupling, when the plane goes over on it's side, the elevator turns into the rudder, no? I've made that assumption on my last few planes (including gas) and it's pointed me in the right direction to move the CG to correct/minimize KE coupling every time.

With that experience in hand, I took the Swift out again last night, and carefully trimmed it for level flight, then brought it in for a look at the elevator. Perfect. With the CG in the middle of the suggested range, the elevator and stab were in perfect alignment. BUT, the plane requires down elevator when checked inverted, as well as inverted 45 degree climb out, and it's pulling to the canopy - all suggesting the plane is nose heavy, right? That's messed up. There's a problem somewhere.

So I was thinking maybe an incidence issue? To that end, I adjusted my aileron sub trims to leave both ailerons about a 1/4" high, then low, test flying each way in an attempt to modify the wing's angle of attack a little in each direction. No difference either way.

I'm trying to avoid adding weight to the plane (tail) or get into mixing the issue out. Old school flyer I guess. I was taught to adjust best possible mechanically prior to doing it electronically.

On another note, I'm also having a tough time keeping the Swift vs Yak notes/info straight? Is it just me? Should we get a Swift string going so we could report findings more clearly there and in the Yak string? -Al
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:23 PM
Corsir Crasher
Joined Oct 2011
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopower71 View Post
I should be a Tech one epp owner come Christmas day. It should be either an Energy or the swift. Not sure what she ordered . Do these require metal geared servos or will plastic work? I have a few motors but unsure if they will. useable for whatever one I get. I will post them up when i get home to see if they will work
Would this motor work for the Swift?
Motor
Park 480- KV1250
Diameter Length
35 mm 36 mm
kV
Constant Watts
Weight
116g