HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
It's fun to see the difference lightening a plane makes. They get much more flyable. I couldn't knife edge the Sukhoi with the heavy power system, but with the light power system I can.
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:58 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I am running the SU on the stock power system with an 1800 3s. I really like the way she flies. I am mostly still working on rudder turns - can't knife edge worth a crap yet.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
Wolfewinde - My Sukhoi is a different model than yours - Link

You wouldn't get anywhere flying your Sukhoi on my power system

I'm not good at knife edge with my Sukhoi either. I've got an F3P plane that will knife edge all day though. It doesn't care whether it's right side up or on its side. When I fly the Sukhoi I use the rudder input for the F3P plane and the Sukhoi falls out of the sky.

I'm working on flying inverted with it, but I don't think it is trimmed and balanced well enough.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Jack,

Yeah - that is an entirely different airplane. I have been flying a lot of inverted lately - trying to make my reflexes instinctive. I think I am making progress, but not there yet. Am also really working on "flat" rudder turns and circles that are half upright and half inverted.

Should get the motor and servos for the Swift tomorrow according to Hobby Zones tracking info. Hope to finish that one up by the weekend.

Wolfe
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Heya Jack,

Yeah - that is an entirely different airplane. I have been flying a lot of inverted lately - trying to make my reflexes instinctive. I think I am making progress, but not there yet. Am also really working on "flat" rudder turns and circles that are half upright and half inverted.

Should get the motor and servos for the Swift tomorrow according to Hobby Zones tracking info. Hope to finish that one up by the weekend.

Wolfe
What's the prob with the flat rudder turns? Learning to leave out the aileron? Or are you trying to do it with a competitive level of perfection?

I believe my problem with inverted may come down to having the plane tail heavy for hovering, and general manueverability. I've got to fly with a bit of down trim, which becomes up trim when inverted, and makes the tail want to drop more. Instinctively I'm putting in more down elevator at the same time, so the plane climbs out. I need to pull up instead of pushing down - that's messed up.

BTW you need to send me some planes. You've got too many
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:27 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya jack,

No real problem with the flat rudder turns except that I have not really ever done them. The SU-31 does them fairly easily - I just need to get more instinctive on up elevator and opposite aileron. I still have to think about that some.

Had a mid air collision tonight with a Gemini - not too much damage I don't think - more on the Gemini. Bummer.

I did try a 1000 mah 3s on the Extra 330 tonight - flew better I think - still getting 4 to 5 minute flight times, so that is OK

Got all the electronics installed in the Swift tonight. Just need to add one control horn and push rods now. Getting close to flyable

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Mar 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
I've watched videos of the Swift and Su-31. I was impressed with how slow the Swift flies. I'm pretty sure I can fly it here. How big are the stock wheels? It'd be fun to have a plane I can land in a proper manner again.

I'm getting used to knife-edging my Sukhoi - the big trick is having enough speed to make the little fuselage work. And of course being light - you can't go wrong with it.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:17 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
The stock wheels on the Swift and SU-31 are both about 1 1/2" to 2" wheels. They are decent wheels and I like the way they mount them on the fuse. The SU-31 slows down nicely, I am expecting the Swift to do that too. Will let you know

Wolfe
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:39 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
Hmm, I was hoping the Swift wheels would be over 2". I can take off from grass and gravel with a 3" wheel, but not a 1 1/2" wheel.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:50 AM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
I'm a Venus owner and love the plane despite the very, very fragile landing gear and clevises. The way it flies redeems it and then some. Highly recommend it!
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Last edited by MaddSkillz; Mar 29, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well it isn't too hard just to get some bigger wheels. I am going to need to do that too - the grass at our field is starting to grow again.

SU-31 is repaired and the Swift is finished - should be able to get them both out tonight - winds look decent

Wolfe
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
I'm a Venus owner and love the plane despite the very, very fragile landing gear and clevises. The way it flies redeems it and then some. Highly recommend it!
I made a metal wire landing gear for my Depron F3P plane that has worked flawlessly.

wolfewinde - It's not always as easy as "put bigger wheels on." I want to put wider wheels on my Slow Stick, but they don't fit the axle diameter and the hub of the wheels is wider than the space on the axle for the wheel. How big a wheel can you put on the Swift before you run out of room for the wheel collar? I haven't had a good enough look at one to say.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Maiden +3 on the Swift tonight, What a delight she is to fly - she is the best of the bunch that I, have, but I still really like the Extra and the SU-31 too.

Swift is running an E-Flite Power 10, APC 11x5.5 E prop, 2200 mah 3s, and cheap 50 amp HK ESC, and Hitec HS-65 HB servos. Was getting 5 minute flight times and coming down with about 3.8 left per cell. Had unlimited vertical, almost neutral CG while inverted, and a very wide speed envelop. She just floats in to land. Great airplane. Extremely smooth in the air.

The LG on the Swift and SU-31 will have no trouble taking bigger wheels - lots of room for them and the wheels that come with them are already pretty wide.

Wolfe
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
I may put the Swift on my wish list then - I'm going to get all the learning I can out of my Sukhoi first though. I moved the ESC forward a bit and fixed a couple problems with the ailerons and she does much better inverted now. I had so much fun practicing I flew into the ground and broke the motor mount. Nothing a few drops of CA won't fix.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
5 Posts
would love to try the swift or the yak by techone, where the heck can you possibly buy one .....
intotheblu is offline Find More Posts by intotheblu