SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Can anyone with the mini piaget comment on the rudder control horn hitting the elevator? I'm considering making the bottom servo the rudder instead of whats directed.
Please tell me what your solution is. I've got one in the box that will hopefully be built soon...
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:47 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
I ended up putting the elevator with the top servo and the rudder on the bottom. Still had to set the rudder control horn pretty low so it wouldnt hit.

Now - anyone with a c05 motor? HELP ME! I've connected the motor/esc/battery/rx and the motor isnt spinning up. It just sort of...sputters and then stops after a few seconds. I tried changing the timing of the esc, but all 3 settings did the same. I'm uploading a vid, but its taking its damn time. Any suggestions??

edit: video
Techone motor issue (0 min 18 sec)
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Last edited by Hornetnz; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Jan 2012
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
I ended up putting the elevator with the top servo and the rudder on the bottom. Still had to set the rudder control horn pretty low so it wouldnt hit.

Now - anyone with a c05 motor? HELP ME! I've connected the motor/esc/battery/rx and the motor isnt spinning up. It just sort of...sputters and then stops after a few seconds. I tried changing the timing of the esc, but all 3 settings did the same. I'm uploading a vid, but its taking its damn time. Any suggestions??

edit: video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67DhdlbxbOQ
What I would do is try a different esc and see what happens. Had a bad turnigy right out of the package yesterday.....froze and heated my new motor...luckliy I disconnected it b4 it cooked it.
Pilot Fatigue is online now Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:46 AM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
have you switched the wires on the ESC or tried a diff ESC?
I had an ESC not go past half throttle and I found the settings to wipe it back to default and that worked, good luck and post what was wrong!!

also are your wires soldered on? maybe a bad (dry) joint?
J
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
Sounds like a bad bearing or the magnets come loose. Touch the can to see if it heat up after a few turns, if so, the motor is dead.
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
289 Posts
its the ESC,some motors and ESC's just dont mix,try hitting the prop when its jittering to try and get it to turn.it usually works for me but you have to leave the trim up so the motor wont cut of or else your going to have to do it again
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:53 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
665 Posts
listen to Vince- he is a wise man.........
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
Maidened the Swift, flying it back to back with the 43" Yak while using the same size battery packs - very similar setups. The Swift is within 10 grams of being the same weight as the Yak (875 vs. 885g), and obviously has much more wing area. It will fly slower (not a lot though!), and faster as it's using a little bigger motor, though both are being flown on the same size props (APC 11x5.5)

At this point the Yak is the smoother flyer, holding it's lines/knife edge much easier than the Swift does. Probably due to it's higher wing loading, but that remains to be seen for sure. The Swift is suffering from a little wing rock at low speed. Hopefully I can dial most/all of that out. The Yak had a little starting out as well. It'll be interesting to see how the Swift does after a few more flying sessions/tweaks? VERY happy with it's performance first time out. Hoping the lower wing loading will allow it to surpass the Yak in overall flying ability - which would make it a pretty awesome plane!

I tried to keep it light using lessons learned building the Yak. Total weight came in at 885 grams weighed with an 1800 mah battery. Built according to the directions using CA and Welder where the Welder made sense. Regarding the hinge lines, I did use Welder on the last inch or so of both ends of each flying surface. In addition to that, I used it in the area of the control horn attachment to help handle stresses there. The Yak taught me the Welder stuff is heavy, and the control surfaces are too stiff if you aren't careful with how much Welder you are using! Suggest you use it sparingly.

Swift Hardware:
45a ESC, w/enough shrink removed for good air flow over heat sink
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24235

D3536/8 1000kv motor, conservative, but PLENTY of power for great vertical performance, 10min. + battery times!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24238

MG-14 servos, metal, quick, plenty of authority!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8303

APC 11x5.5 prop works well. Good balance performance vs. battery time!

Another lesson learned. All battery packs are not created equal when comparing equal mah. Pay attention to their length (especially for the Yak!) and what they weigh.

-Al
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
Great review. What I have found in my yak is, I get more wing rock with smaller prop. Maybe a 12x6 will solve that problem. 10 mins flight time is hard to beat though!
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Nov 2012
71 Posts
Maidened my Tempo today. Flew great once I figured out the COG. I had to add 2 1/2 ounces to the front to get it flyable. Gonna try and do some refiguring as far as servos go and maybe try and place them farther from the tail to get the weight down. I couldn't believe it was that far off with the full kit from the factory. I'm new to 3d so I flew mostly on low rates but I took her up high a few times and threw on the high rates and this plane just came alive. Gonna be fun learning. :-)
Adavid is offline Find More Posts by Adavid
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:17 PM
Corsir Crasher
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Nov 2011
405 Posts
I should be a Tech one epp owner come Christmas day. It should be either an Energy or the swift. Not sure what she ordered . Do these require metal geared servos or will plastic work? I have a few motors but unsure if they will. useable for whatever one I get. I will post them up when i get home to see if they will work
Mopower71 is online now Find More Posts by Mopower71
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Jul 2012
171 Posts
On my Swift, I use metal gear 9 gram servos all around. Initially I tried to get away with plastic gear servos on the rudder and elevator, but they didn't last long as they are mounted low on the rear of the fuse and take a beating from grass, sticks, leaves, rough landings, etc.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:41 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,565 Posts
I've sent Techone 2 emails and tried to Skype to get some support on my bad motor. Has anyone had much success getting support from them??
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,435 Posts
Regarding the rudder servo on the Swift? I cut a new hole for it, well above the original, to allow it to use the control horn mounted closer to the center of the rudder? Figured the rudder would have more authority than mounted below as there would be less flex/twist in the rudder itself? Just make sure you get it high enough to clear the elevator when full up.
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:09 AM
Joined Jul 2012
171 Posts
Good idea, I will probably do that.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22