SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, MI, Waterford Charter Township
Joined Aug 2008
1,476 Posts
Had the 43" Yak out this evening. About 40 degrees with a light wind coming right down the runway and cloudy. I went armed with 2 fully charged 1600's (143g), an 1800(152g), and 2 2200's(187g) with the intent of seeing the difference in how the weight of each affected handling (they're all the same length). I started off actually hesitant regarding the extra weight of the 2200's. First time out with those. The very unscientific results? The 1600's didn't fly as long - and I about froze my very sizable butt. :^)

Keep in mind I'm still fairly low time with this plane, though I've been flying since God invented shirt pockets. As experience/stick time builds with it, I would imagine I'd be able to detect the difference in nose weight pretty easily. Point being, somebody just starting out wondering about what size battery to run shouldn't be REAL concerned unless your plans would have you flying at a much higher skill level than what mine will ever have me flying...

Seems uncanny the elevator trim isn't more affected by the 44 gram 1600 vs. 2200 difference? I trimmed for level flight with the 2200's, and didn't need to change it for the 1600's. Very little down required while inverted with either?

How this experience pans out regarding the Swift? Who knows... but I'll be finding that out soon. FWIW, -Al

BTW, have I mentioned how much I like flying this thing? Comfort factor while flying growing exponentially every time out....
ahicks is offline Find More Posts by ahicks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
BME 102 For Sale, PM me!
USA, NJ, Milford
Joined Jul 2006
438 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've got a Techone Swift that has been to the field maybe six times and an aileron hinge is already ripping.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this?

Thanks,
Bart
barchiola is offline Find More Posts by barchiola
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:00 PM
Stop sniffin the glue kid!
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Nov 2012
28 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my rudder, so I took some hot glue, at highest temp, onto a card, and wiped it nice and thin onto the hinge line, pressing the surface together. It has held up great for about a dozen flights so far, and because its so thin, it doesnt seem to load the servo!
Captainlarsen is offline Find More Posts by Captainlarsen
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:36 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,600 Posts
Can anyone recommend a motor for the mini piaget?
http://desirehobbyrc.com/index.php?a...d&productId=53
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Swift build questions

I am in the process of building my swift and have two questions.

1) on just about all of the other techone epp 3d planes everyone seems to think the stock ply mount is weak/will break. The one on the swift seems pretty sturdy. I pulled and twisted and I don't see it breaking unless it rips out of the foam and then it's the joint I see breaking, not the ply. Is the ply mount on the swift thicker/stronger than the other tech one planes or should it be reinforced?

2) I haven't glued my wings in yet. I've got them glued together and the carbon rods inserted. The wings themselves seem stiff enough but they seem "floppy" in the fuselage due to flex of the fuselage. That is to say: I don't see the glue holding them in place so that one wing tip doesn't dip. Should I brace the wings the same way the horizontal stabilizer is braced to the fuselage or does it not really matter? Yes, I realize this is a foam plane but it does seem very floppy for lack of a better word.
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Nov 2012
71 Posts
Battery connectors?

Hey all, I'm new to the hobby and this is my first post. Just ordered a techone Tempo with a T2216 motor as my second plane. It's supposed to be here on Friday and I can't wait to get started on it. One question I had is what type of battery connectors are used? I've been flying a HZ super cub with ailerons cut in and was hoping to use the same batteries with the tempo. The ones I've been using are 1300mah 20c. They have ec3 connectors. What would I need to make these work? Thanks for any help.
Adavid is offline Find More Posts by Adavid
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
802 Posts
[QUOTE=js32257;23495884]I am in the process of building my swift and have two questions.

1) on just about all of the other techone epp 3d planes everyone seems to think the stock ply mount is weak/will break. The one on the swift seems pretty sturdy. I pulled and twisted and I don't see it breaking unless it rips out of the foam and then it's the joint I see breaking, not the ply. Is the ply mount on the swift thicker/stronger than the other tech one planes or should it be reinforced?

2) I haven't glued my wings in yet. I've got them glued together and the carbon rods inserted. The wings themselves seem stiff enough but they seem "floppy" in the fuselage due to flex of the fuselage. That is to say: I don't see the glue holding them in place so that one wing tip doesn't dip. Should I brace the wings the same way the horizontal stabilizer is braced to the fuselage or does it not really matter? Yes, I realize this is a foam plane but it does seem very floppy for lack of a better word.[/QUOTE

I'm building the yak54 now but also have an unbuilt swift. From a brief observation the swift motor mount looked good....much better than the yak which I had to redo because of the motor I'm using, I plan on just using a little 30 min epoxy on the swift motor mount...and looks like it will be very little...to re enforce any week areas but again it looked good.
As far as the swift wings...which I read somewhere they are floppy ....I plan to use some carbon fiber to stiffen up a bit. I also ran a thin bead...very thin bead of welders glue on all control surface hinges to add durability.Twisted Hobbies recommend doing this on their planes which I'm going to start building next....Crak Yak and Su-29.....I kinda went crazy on cyber Monday...but the welders glue is IMO good stuff and will build all epp planes with it.
Pilot Fatigue is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Jan 2012
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adavid View Post
Hey all, I'm new to the hobby and this is my first post. Just ordered a techone Tempo with a T2216 motor as my second plane. It's supposed to be here on Friday and I can't wait to get started on it. One question I had is what type of battery connectors are used? I've been flying a HZ super cub with ailerons cut in and was hoping to use the same batteries with the tempo. The ones I've been using are 1300mah 20c. They have ec3 connectors. What would I need to make these work? Thanks for any help.
Whatever u want. No "standard" plugs but if u like ec3 order some and put them on the Tempo esc which will not come with ec3...for the small planes...500-800mah lipos I use jst...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Nov 2012
71 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That's what I'll probably end up doing.
Adavid is offline Find More Posts by Adavid
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Fatigue View Post
[As far as the swift wings...which I read somewhere they are floppy ....I plan to use some carbon fiber to stiffen up a bit. I also ran a thin bead...very thin bead of welders glue on all control surface hinges to add durability.Twisted Hobbies recommend doing this on their planes which I'm going to start building next....Crak Yak and Su-29.....I kinda went crazy on cyber Monday...but the welders glue is IMO good stuff and will build all epp planes with it.
So are you saying you're going to brace the wings internally or brace the wings to the fuselage? I used epoxy to fasten the carbon rods which straddle the joint and go about 80% to each wing tip and used welders adhesive to join the two wings together. The wings themselves are pretty stiff. I can bend them if I really try but that's far more force than I see happening in flight. I do think the wings need to be braced to the fuselage, however. We'll see once I glue them in and the glue dries. I'm a measure 27 times glue once and still get it wrong kind of guy so I didn't glue them yet since I want to get it right.
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by js32257 View Post
So are you saying you're going to brace the wings internally or brace the wings to the fuselage? I used epoxy to fasten the carbon rods which straddle the joint and go about 80% to each wing tip and used welders adhesive to join the two wings together. The wings themselves are pretty stiff. I can bend them if I really try but that's far more force than I see happening in flight. I do think the wings need to be braced to the fuselage, however. We'll see once I glue them in and the glue dries. I'm a measure 27 times glue once and still get it wrong kind of guy so I didn't glue them yet since I want to get it right.
Just finishing up the 1100mm yak so really haven't decided for sure what i will do on the swift...but I'm sure I will be repairing it at some point so I'll get plenty of chances to figure it out. Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:01 PM
Boothwyn, PA
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
If you all don't mind, does anyone have any thoughts on the Extra 330 EPP for a beginner? I'm more of a heli guy, but want to get into 3D planes as well. Thanks.
zeros is offline Find More Posts by zeros
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
802 Posts
If you've been flying 4chan planes and dial it down to start with....don't see why not. Epp repairs well.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeros View Post
If you all don't mind, does anyone have any thoughts on the Extra 330 EPP for a beginner? I'm more of a heli guy, but want to get into 3D planes as well. Thanks.
I bought a 39" Yak 54 to teach my neoghbors' kids flying. I personally think epp 3d planes are great trainer planes because the super light wing load that you can fly them very slow, also the superior thrust to weight ratio is handy when you need power to bail out of trouble. But you might need an experienced pilot help you trim the plane and then dial the control throws way down for you. You will break many motor mounts if this is your first aileron plane, so, get some glues, CF rods and plywoods in your tool box!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,600 Posts
Can anyone with the mini piaget comment on the rudder control horn hitting the elevator? I'm considering making the bottom servo the rudder instead of whats directed.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz