Old Nov 21, 2012, 06:07 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
@newguy2012
Jason, what brand/type of 8x6 prop are you using? I want to try, thanks!
http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...rive-prop.html

.50 upgrade!!

I broke mine today oops- foolish manuever but was having a ball!
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
This is actually a GWS 8060 HD. Very good prop for warbirds, sporty at 36" wing span and below. I used to have big bucket full of them, but now I mostly use APC style props.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy2012 View Post
http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...rive-prop.html

.50 upgrade!!

I broke mine today oops- foolish manuever but was having a ball!
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:30 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
668 Posts
whats the main difference between the 2 Vince?

Happy gobble gobble guys!!
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
The APC "E" series prop is thicker, heavier and with prop adaptors to fit almost every type of motor shaft, no drilling needed. But it's too big to mount on a prop saver for small motor. I use APC E prop for 200 plus watts motors, ranging from 8x6 to 14x7.

APC also has "SP" series props, I use 10x4.7 and 11x4.7 for my bigger foamie 3d plane. I do not find much difference than a GWS SP except for the prop adaptor, which is the reason I choose APC over GWS in this size range.

But for smaller prop/motor application, you cannot beat the efficiency of a GWS DD or HD props up to 9050. I had tried the 1060 before, but it is too flexible than I like.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:29 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
668 Posts
http://www.nitroplanes.com/unblfrdebyte.html

for my fellow T1 junkies
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
A question for those with a couple of TechOne planes under their belt.

Someone at the field today highly recommended the T1 Swift for me to begin my stunt/3d journey. I went on Nitroplanes, and see the Swift is $129, but they have their Yak54 on sale for $99. I see they are very slightly different in size, but other than that, is there much difference? Would a 3d newb even notice?

Thanks in advance!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post

Someone at the field today highly recommended the T1 Swift for me to begin my stunt/3d journey. I went on Nitroplanes, and see the Swift is $129, but they have their Yak54 on sale for $99. I see they are very slightly different in size, but other than that, is there much difference? Would a 3d newb even notice?

Thanks in advance!
If budget is not an issue, get the swift because the stock motor and ESC come with Yak is marginal. Both planes need metal gear servo at least for elevator and rudder. Solar d654 is a good choice. I stripped two MG servos in my Yak in three months. I flew my Yak today in 20mph wind and have lots of fun.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
Thanks Vince. I was close to getting one of the 48" Extreme Flight planes, but I had a bad feeling about a $500 (All together) wood plane to learn 3D on! This should be great! Now I have to read 25 pages of forum...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:21 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post

Thanks in advance!
There is a big size difference,the techone swift is 46.5 wingspan.. both yak 54s are considerably smaller in size and lipo and power set up requirements 47''-48'' size stuff flys really well and is a very popular set up size. Had i not recently purchased a plane i would of been all over that nitroplanes black friday sale. Also if you already have gear you can purchase the swift for 59 bucks.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
The Swift kit at $59 (think that's what I saw) is a fine deal. Bet it flies good in weather. Has a kinda pattern look to it.
dr-squared is offline Find More Posts by dr-squared
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
I'll dive right in and get the ARF setup of the Swift. As those servos die, I'll go to metal gear ones. The guys at the field say these planes are indestructable! Thanks for the advice, guys!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:12 PM
Stop sniffin the glue kid!
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Nov 2012
28 Posts
Quick question for you guys with the Swift. Mine flies great, until I try to pull any ammount of g's in a turn. The wings flex like crazy. At first, it was just the left wing, but after reinforcing it, both wings flex at the center point. The stock carbon is through them as well. Thoughts?
Captainlarsen is offline Find More Posts by Captainlarsen
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
I should think a generous serving of extra carbon fiber in your diet should do the trick! Seriously, I don't fly the Swift, but my two other T1's required modification/adjustment to the stock reinforcement to solve stiffness issues here and there. With epp, it's as easy as slitting the foam, inserting strip/rod and gluing it in...not sure if that's for you but just sayin'...
dr-squared is offline Find More Posts by dr-squared
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Stop sniffin the glue kid!
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Nov 2012
28 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I think that's what I may end up doing. I'm going to go to my LHS this weekend and look for some carbon strips, and if they don't have it, i may substitute with plywood in the center section of the wing. Weather is crap lately, so that gives my some time to work
Captainlarsen is offline Find More Posts by Captainlarsen
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined Jan 2012
802 Posts
Swift motor

Eflite park 480 1020kv be enough power on the swift? I like the 59 dollar price but already have that motor and some mg servos. Thanks in advance!
Pilot Fatigue is online now Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue