HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, GA, Augusta
Joined Feb 2010
85 Posts
Got my Yak 54 up in the air! This is my first kit build and it was easy. Great plane!
TwinTurbo95 is offline Find More Posts by TwinTurbo95
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Grats on the successful Yak maiden. What motor are you using?

Nice video on the Venus, GR. Looks like it was pretty windy

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Got in 4 flights on the SU-31 with the stock motor I just got. She flew very well - really like this airplane

Wolfe
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
I've got a Sukhoi 3D EPP (flat wing) which I built last year. I'm surprised at how well it's holding up as I did not expect a foamie to last very long. It's got a couple tears and it's dirty but still it's about like new.

I think Tech One specs bigger batteries than necessary, or at least they did for this one. They said to use an 850 mah 2S battery on a 2205 motor. I flew it for a while with an 800 mah 2S batt on a Suppo A2204/14 1400kv and it had no vertical. Next I put a Suppo B2208/14 on, which has plenty of vertical with the 800 mah battery, but the plane is too heavy. I usually fly it with a 350 mah battery, which is much better, but I think I've got unnecessary motor and battery weight. When I get the chance I'm going to switch to a blue wonder and 10 amp esc. Eventually I might go back to the A2204 and a 300 or 250 mah battery. I don't mind only flying four or five minutes. It takes less than a minute to land at my feet and swap batteries. More than worth it for the improved performance IMO.

I've been considering what to do with the Suppo B2208/14 and 800 mah batteries. Would they be enough to fly around the Extra EPP? Would it have enough vertical?
Jack the R is offline Find More Posts by Jack the R
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I am not sure if that power system would work or not. I am using a 260 watt motor and 1300 mah 3s on my Extra 330 which seems to work pretty well. But I am flying more sport than 3D.

Just got the motor shaft replaced s should be back in the air with her when the wind dies

Wolfe
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
I flew 1200 mah 3S on my Slow Stick and got 5 minute flights with tons of vertical. That's a plane with a 45" wingspan and an undercambered airfoil. 1300 mah seems like way too much battery for a 36" WS plane. How long can you fly on it?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I have the timer set at 7 minutes.

Wolfe
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:44 PM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
66 Posts
I just got the EEP Yak54-1100 and I think I'm in over my head. It's my first 3D plane and it's probably the biggest plane I've flown. I definitely have more radio setup to do and a lot more practicing. Can anyone tell me where the center of gravity should be on this plane?
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Spaaarky,

I would guess about 1/3 of the way back from the leading edge next to the fuse - bring it closer to the leading edge if you want to be safe. I just checked my Swift manual and it seems to say nothing about the CG, so I will go with the above.

Cut your low rates way down until you get used to the plane - not more than 50% travel. Let us know how it goes

Wolfe
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I have the timer set at 7 minutes.

Wolfe
Hmm, it might work out then. The power system would be a lot lighter, maybe good for 4-5 minutes. The motor I've got on my Sukhoi feels like it could handle a bigger plane, and the EPP in the Extra is probably a lighter weight than the EPP in the Sukhoi. I've talked with Khen about it - his Mini-Tempo weighs less than my Sukhoi. The Mini-Temp uses an extra servo and a bigger battery, and it has the airfoil wing and the thicker fuselage. The Sukhoi is a heavy bird for it's size.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:18 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the R View Post
Hmm, it might work out then. The power system would be a lot lighter, maybe good for 4-5 minutes. The motor I've got on my Sukhoi feels like it could handle a bigger plane, and the EPP in the Extra is probably a lighter weight than the EPP in the Sukhoi. I've talked with Khen about it - his Mini-Tempo weighs less than my Sukhoi. The Mini-Temp uses an extra servo and a bigger battery, and it has the airfoil wing and the thicker fuselage. The Sukhoi is a heavy bird for it's size.
Hey Jack the R, I think the 2208/14 would pull the Extra, but it wouldn't have a whole lot of vertical. The Extra is a 14-17oz plane which would be more suitable for the Suppo 2212/10 1400KV and a 1000mAh - 1100mAh battery. With the 2208 and 800mAh batteries I'd be concerned about getting it balanced right. It would be neat to try it at the lower weight though.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
I put the Blue Wonder on the Sukhoi today - there is nothing like lightening a plane. I was able to fly it around in a Mini-Piaget sized spot. It's getting close to the floatiness of the Breeze Pro, without the Breeze Pro's breakiness.

The downside is, the BW doesn't have enough power to hover, let alone pull out of a hover. Maybe I didn't configure the throttle range right, I'll have to see if I can find the instructions for this esc.

The Blue Wonder's got a loud whine to it though, maybe there's a bearing problem.

Regardless, I'm happy with the change.

edit - flew this morning with the 350 mah packs and had plenty of power for hovering and climbout. They're only 4 grams heavier than the 220's so there's no difference in floatiness. I'm pleased with this setup.

Khen - I'm open to suggestions. Any 3D airplane with an airfoil that would fit this motor/battery combo.
Last edited by Jack the R; Mar 26, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:43 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Got in a few flights on the 330 and the SU-31 this afternoon. Was pretty windy today - the 31 handled it better than the 330, but both flew pretty well considering. I think the 330 is still a bit under powered - using a 180 watt motor right now. I ordered a 220 watt - will see if that helps.

Wolfe
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,670 Posts
Quote:
I think the 330 is still a bit under powered - using a 180 watt motor right now. I ordered a 220 watt - will see if that helps.

Wolfe
huh?

Quote:
I am using a 260 watt motor and 1300 mah 3s on my Extra 330 which seems to work pretty well.
Did you swap the 260 out for the 180?

Were you still flying the 180 on the 1300 mah battery?

Have you got a 3S batt in the 800-1000 mah size you could try?

I started out with an 800 mah 2s/A2204/14 combo in my Sukhoi 3D, then made the mistake of going for more motor instead of less battery when I wanted better vertical. For a while I had an 800 mah 2s/18 amp ESC/B2208/14 power system that was far too heavy. The 350 mah 2S/10 amp ESC/Blue Wonder combo I've got on it now flies soooo much nicer. It really opened up the low speed envelope. I'm only getting four minutes of flight time, but they are four good minutes. Then I flop the plane down at my feet, swap batteries, and do it again

Of course it all comes down to flying style. If you've got a huge open area a heavier, faster plane may be more suitable for you. I don't like to fly high because rescueing planes from tree tops is no fun. I'd rather have a light plane that can fly under my nose than have the huge vertical power I see in vids.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:25 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Jack,

Yes - I did swap out the 260 for a 180. I will see if I can scrounge a smaller battery to try

Wolfe