HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
633 Posts
just ordered a 500mah for my P 51 see if I have some more success!

I ordered from www.valuehobby.com - wow shipping was $4
thats crazy cheap! I will see if I get this in a timely manner.
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Valuehobby normally ships the next day. Have done many business with them and they are stand up guys. I don't know this particular model, but by looking at the pictures online, I would think the 500Mah (3s?) might give you hard time to balance her being slightly nose heavy. And, if you CG was off, you would need more elevator trim to make her flies level, and then you got barrel rolls. Anyhow, that's how warbirds normally fly. Post some pics or clips to show how the P51 works out!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
633 Posts
Vince- right now my concern is my 1000mah is too heavy
Dr Dan told me he was using a 3s 500 in his nd made it very "floaty",
today I got a chance to fly and I couldn't get the CG right. Not sure why since it flew great last time, maybe nerves?

I will post some photos once we get her figured out!!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
How did you measure your CG? Did you measure it when inverted?
I have built two TechOne Yak 54, both CG are right on with recommended gears. but if I followed the manual, I would need 3/4oz of lead in the nose.

I also built two Funflys for my friends, both are tail heavy. I put 1/2oz of weight in the nose and use the heaviest battery I could fit in the bay to calm the bird down. Still one Funfly was gone with the wind....
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Last edited by Vince_TT; Oct 24, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
633 Posts
Oh that sucks!!

Dan could weigh in on this but I feel she is too heavy period with the bigger battery, yes I measured the CG inverted I actually marked it on the top of the wings so I don't have to bring out the ruler when/if I can fly, I adjust accordingly; if its windy I like it a bit more nose heavy.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Guys, my 500 mah 3s batteries (unsure of brand) weigh 58 g. Some (most?) you can buy weigh more. My Rhino 610 mah weigh 50 g. My plane balanced at mid-point of recommended c.g. with batteries (which are way shorter than the battery slot) in the middle of the slot. I fly with them sometimes in the middle, sometimes at the rearward position. I'm sure there's a bit of error in my measuring of the c.g. due to the front wing fillet of a P51's wing which is different on both side of the plane due to minor lack of manufacturing precision (it's a $40 plane for chrissake!). And I'm also sure that she's got to be a little nose heavy too. Despite this, with light 3s she flies somewhat floaty. I'll get exact C.G. for you Jason (at the point where the wing touches the fuselage). I've never used anything but 500mah 3s as above, very little trim was needed for elevator, always thought 1000mah would be too heavy for it. Ditto what Vince said about ValueHobby...great place, I think that's where my 500's came from. I think you'll like the way it will fly Jason. Mine never had that sick tail-heavy gonna lose it feel with 500's in it. Chow for now...(
dr-squared is offline Find More Posts by dr-squared
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:34 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
Guys, my 500 mah 3s batteries (unsure of brand) weigh 58 g. Some (most?) you can buy weigh more. My Rhino 610 mah weigh 50 g. My plane balanced at mid-point of recommended c.g. with batteries (which are way shorter than the battery slot) in the middle of the slot. I fly with them sometimes in the middle, sometimes at the rearward position. I'm sure there's a bit of error in my measuring of the c.g. due to the front wing fillet of a P51's wing which is different on both side of the plane due to minor lack of manufacturing precision (it's a $40 plane for chrissake!). And I'm also sure that she's got to be a little nose heavy too. Despite this, with light 3s she flies somewhat floaty. I'll get exact C.G. for you Jason (at the point where the wing touches the fuselage). I've never used anything but 500mah 3s as above, very little trim was needed for elevator, always thought 1000mah would be too heavy for it. Ditto what Vince said about ValueHobby...great place, I think that's where my 500's came from. I think you'll like the way it will fly Jason. Mine never had that sick tail-heavy gonna lose it feel with 500's in it. Chow for now...(
chow? how did you know I would be eating dinner and checking in with you guys??
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Here's my setup, just fully checked it:
Ail: 24mm up, 20mm down (differential not intentional, just worked out that way...horns ended up forward slightly of hinge line, maybe that's it. Still less down is good.
Elev: 20mm up/down
Rud: 22mm r/l
CG: 55mm from LE at fuse with 51g cells
AUW: 306g
Power: 86W dropping to 77W as voltage settles to 10.5 volts, used HK wattmeter, GWS DD8040 prop, stock T-Motor 2208 (which I like very much)
D/R: aileron hi 80%, lo 60%, elev/rud hi 100%, lo 80% (which I don't use unless rusty or have Lt. Bourbon as co-pilot)
Expo: 40% all rates
Radio: super trusty Spektrum DX6I, Spektrum 6100e receiver
Hope someone can use this, 'specially (soon to be not so) newguy Jason!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
633 Posts
which I don't use unless rusty or have Lt. Bourbon as co-pilot

don't drink and fly Dan!!

thanks for the info- as soon as I get my new batt, I will set her up!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Be advised my setup can be a little sensitive without expo...don't need you crashin' ' all that. Chow!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
633 Posts
my cheapo radio doesnt do expo!! but I have flown very sensitive indoor stuff for a long time, thats why the ailerons are dialed way down on mine( 40%). I may have to try flying with 2nd LT Bourbon maybe I will relax a bit more.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
I find it's the elevator being too sensitive that drives me nuts and has caused my most crashes...sunny and 45 here today, probably fly later while I still can. Need to find my next Techone project, but, which one?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,909 Posts
Quote:
I find it's the elevator being too sensitive that drives me nuts and has caused my most crashes...sunny and 45 here today, probably fly later while I still can. Need to find my next Techone project, but, which one?
Im gonna buy another Galaxy when they come back in stock usa warehouse....just to play I've built most of the mini piaget....we'll see what thats like in a few days. The indoor season started here today but i was busy putting a transmission in my avatar.
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:36 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
heres my baby
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:24 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
633 Posts
Quote:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-407-p51-3d-epp-kit.html

Dan I would like to hear your opinion on this, I just found it today hmmmm?

also this is directed at everyone-

I am trying to start a indoor flying youth program on base(I am stationed at Scott AFB IL (next to st louis)) do you guys have suggestions for trainers for indoors for the younger ones, I am thinking Night vapor and Ember 2, thats what I learned on.
Any help would be great guys!!

J