617 Posts
I chopped it when I saw her going down thanks "V"
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
I have also broke a wire inside the motor before too...ran strangely...sputtery and crappy power. Managed to save it but that's only because I work at a place with micro-soldering equipment and microscopes. It was easy to look in the motor and see. Let us know what you find Jason.
dr-squared is offline Find More Posts by dr-squared
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:11 AM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
617 Posts
going to try the re bind and see what happens, I hope its just the ESC if something has failed but we will see
if I need to replace the ESC what do you all suggest? stock motor(its a t motor 2208 no idea on the kv and 3s 1000mah bat)
I think it has a 20 amp ESC on it now

thanks for all your help guys!!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
I have also broke a wire inside the motor before too...ran strangely...sputtery and crappy power. Managed to save it but that's only because I work at a place with micro-soldering equipment and microscopes. It was easy to look in the motor and see. Let us know what you find Jason.
What in the world do you do where you need that???
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:06 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
617 Posts
defective ESC?

I am contacting NP about this, I thought about it and the ESC caused the crash,
I ran a batt through it and put the fresh one in and after that the motor didn't go to full throttle and thats what caused the crash. I rebound the Tx and Rx reprogrammed the ESC, no dice
it doesn't spool up until you get above half trottle and it doesn't go to full RPM

what do you guys think?
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
617 Posts
this is weird, I didn't want to give up on it, so I got out the instructions for the ESC, weirdo right?

I wiped the ESC back to default and reprog the throttle range, it seems all is well now.

anyone else have any experience with something like this?

J
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
Many weird things would happen after a crash. Glad you have worked it out.

If yours come with a T-2208 motor, I think it is a KV1400 that delivers good power. I even use a 9x4.7 prop and 2s 800mah for the Funfly, It got not unlimited but good vertical. With 3s 900 and 8x4, the Funfly becomes Fastfly. too fast to be a good trainer.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Jason, I work at an OEM electronics manufacturer where I'm a technician, so I have access to fixey type stuff. When it comes to digital electronics, any type of malfunction is possible. When it comes to extremely inexpensive mass produced digital electronics, any type of malfunction is probable...crash impact, voltage burp, hell, you might even have unknowingly turned on the damn thing with the stick up and "reprogrammed" it accidentally...seen it happen. Best thing is, you're back up!
Dan
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:48 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
617 Posts
Vince- Yes this thing can be a handful! she has plenty of power and I am running an 8X4 prop, and she wants to climb outta sight!!

Dan- quite possible I goofed it up it was just weird! but I am glad I can get back out there, not sure if the weather is going to cooperate.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
I like the power combination on my P51 too...probably wouldn't change a thing. Now the rudder response, that's another story, needs more, barely adequate.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:33 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
617 Posts
I have the ailerons and rudder dialed down so I can keep this baby under control, eventually I will crank everything up to 100% but I played with the rudder some and yes it seems to have little authority but like I said I have it dialed down for now
I kept the elevator at 100% just so i can bail myself out when the ground is getting too close for comfort.

I have read that the weak rudder response is just a warbird trait, anyone else verify? I doubt it would KE very well. but I will try eventually

Dan will yours roll on its axis? I did a few rolls and it looked more like a corkscrew than a roll? is this because I have the ailerons dialed back?

she is stil a hoot and I am very happy with my choice of aircraft
J

BTW thunderstorms and windy again!!! rest of the week is going to stink!
Last edited by newguy2012; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
rolling on the axis is a function of several thing: c.g., aileron setup and trim, aileron design, airframe straightness, airspeed, wind, your thumbs (are you really sure you're not inputting any elevator/rudder?), etc. Warbirds usually exhibit some kind of Dutch Roll, pattern birds do not. As you gain experience you'll subconsciously compensate for it if that's the way you wanna roll. Experiment with various rudder and elevator inputs to see the effect, up high of course! Windy here too, will be for days...I bet gromit can fly though in the Golden State!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:32 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
rolling on the axis is a function of several thing: c.g., aileron setup and trim, aileron design, airframe straightness, airspeed, wind, your thumbs (are you really sure you're not inputting any elevator/rudder?), etc. Warbirds usually exhibit some kind of Dutch Roll, pattern birds do not. As you gain experience you'll subconsciously compensate for it if that's the way you wanna roll. Experiment with various rudder and elevator inputs to see the effect, up high of course! Windy here too, will be for days...I bet gromit can fly though in the Golden State!
I will blame the aileron set up then, I know I wasn't touching the rudder or elevator! I think!! ready for some calmer days so I can fly at lunch, great spots on base to fly!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Hey Jason, does the tail blow out one side or the other or does it seem like a nose drop?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:57 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
617 Posts
I will pay more att next time I am not sure at the moment