HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:28 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
I just stuck together a mini piaget for indoor......gotta figure what batteries to get for it.
I also had the Galaxy and sold it,...nice plane and HK USA has em cheap with the motor....may get another for winter......thing is these dont survive the hanger rash of the off season
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:07 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
Jason, the hcf planes can be scoped out on the Techone site...they're basically a rigid foam cutout frame covered with film on one side for rigidity. Super low weight...around 5 oz. AUW. Definitely for indoor or calm days. Think flying a Kleenex (with about the same potential for damage). Look way cool. And as for the Tempo...thick slabs of USDA prime epp, airfoil wing, goofy extra wing on top....what's not to like. I'd relish the opportunity to fly one, haven't so far. The sheer diversity and, well, oddity of the Techone line is why I like 'em.
Dan
sounds funky!!
I FINALLY ran a battery through my TOP 51 without a fatal crash today!! I think it was mostly in my launch technique, I found if you toss at a good angle(not quite 45degrees) from the ground it seems to level off faster and gain speed (I was tossing it about level), I wandered around for a while and was so happy it wasn't even funny! I don't know who else has this but I found cruising speed is just above 1/2 throttle, also it seems to have a tendency to roll right? anyone else veryify? Maybe I have an aileron out of adjustment? or its it torque roll? also anything over 90degrees of bank and this thing looses altitude FAST! Is this normal for a low wing aileron bird? I don't know but this thing is a hoot and a half!! my 4 year old and his neighbor friend enjoyed it too!
newguy2012 is offline Find More Posts by newguy2012
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
1. Cruising at 1/2 throttle means your power system is right on.
2. Roll to left is torque roll. Roll to right means either your right thrust angle is too much or your wing tips have different wash-out angles; means your wing is twisted. But since you have busted the nose many times, it's hard to say which one is the cause.
3. Yes, all planes will drop altitude while either wing pointing to the ground 90, it calls Knight Edge. At this point the fuselage and rudder become wings that provide lift. You need to use rudder to compensate that.

Enjoy!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Btw, when you said "rolling to the right", you meant plane rolled to right at all throttle range, or just when you fly fast? Did you trim the plane to fly level (hand free) at half throttle?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:34 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Btw, when you said "rolling to the right", you meant plane rolled to right at all throttle range, or just when you fly fast? Did you trim the plane to fly level (hand free) at half throttle?
thanks man!!

I will have to pay more attention the next time I can get her out see if I can trim it out I was too busy smiling the whole time! for my first 4 ch bird she is quite the hoot I haven't broken the nose clean off (yet) just broke chunks off of it she flies straight just dips to the right at half throttle so it may just need trimmed out
I have my rates for the ailerons really low
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
It seems that just out off trim. There are a couple of articles in RCG talking about how to trim your plane including checking CG & thrust angles. It's worthwhile reading them through.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
+1 on the just out of trim. Mine wasn't molded or cut (whatever) all that precision and trim adjustments solved my slight roll to right too...few clicks and 1/2 throttle level just like yours. Torque roll's not bad on this plane, easily countered with slight stick. It can stall, however, at slow speed, high bank turns or ill advised low power split ess's with too much elevator. That's how I took mine in both times, a typical warbird trait. Congrats Jason...you soloed on a not-beginner plane I like the looks of the Piaget, they always get good flying reviews too.
dr-squared is offline Find More Posts by dr-squared
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:56 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
619 Posts
hoping to sneak it to work and do it again today!!

thanks for all your help guys !!
J

Dan and I the only ones that have this bird? how many people are on RCG?
Last edited by newguy2012; Oct 13, 2012 at 04:04 AM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:59 AM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
619 Posts
Quote:
+1 on the just out of trim. Mine wasn't molded or cut (whatever) all that precision and trim adjustments solved my slight roll to right too...few clicks and 1/2 throttle level just like yours. Torque roll's not bad on this plane, easily countered with slight stick. It can stall, however, at slow speed, high bank turns or ill advised low power split ess's with too much elevator. That's how I took mine in both times, a typical warbird trait. Congrats Jason...you soloed on a not-beginner plane I like the looks of the Piaget, they always get good flying reviews too.
oh yeah she will stall in a heartbeat but it gives you a fair warning, once the nose goes up, if you don't have sufficient power, its like you dropped the E brake I saw it coming 2 times and was able to throttle up and she picked right back up
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Dec 2006
101 Posts
Been playing around with the SU-31
Here's a vid Hope u all like
SU-31 (5 min 8 sec)
flybri is offline Find More Posts by flybri
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
Using foam in moderation
Joined Sep 2012
619 Posts
I don't think my P-51 will do any of that!!!
looks freaking neat though
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
While a certain amount of talent and practice is required to hover consistently, you'd be surprised how easy to fly a 3d ship is. So slow you have time to really learn the sticks. With modest surface travel they can make excellent trainers.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
Quote:
While a certain amount of talent and practice is required to hover consistently, you'd be surprised how easy to fly a 3d ship is. So slow you have time to really learn the sticks. With modest surface travel they can make excellent trainers.
how true is that!...you'ld be amazed at how slow and safe a Galaxy travels a gym etc....I look forward to indoors if only because its easier.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Galaxy/Malibu is a good ship, kinda like the Spirit/Tristania but with airbrakes on the control surfaces for ridiculously slow flight, and, I think made of Depron. That material "may" not be as durable as EPP but it sure is straight, light and purty. Can you believe in Utah I've yet to find an indoor venue? I need to get out more...or go to Connecticut and fly with racie...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:24 AM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
Cmon over!