HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:55 PM
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
I agree with Vince, that rule of thumb will keep you from crashing. I found the recommended c.g. from the manual for this plane to be comfortably nose heavy. The nose is weak because of all the openings for the battery and esc. My plane has been glued at many places in that area and are holding so far. And yes, if you like the plane, replacement airframes are inexpensive. You'll likely crash subsequent planes far less than you first! It can't be overstated that warbird style planes, or any responsive high performance one for that matter, aren't the best first planes.
dr-squared is offline Find More Posts by dr-squared
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:43 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
anyone have one of the techone HCF planes from Nitro Planes yet?
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:32 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
I agree with Vince, that rule of thumb will keep you from crashing. I found the recommended c.g. from the manual for this plane to be comfortably nose heavy. The nose is weak because of all the openings for the battery and esc. My plane has been glued at many places in that area and are holding so far. And yes, if you like the plane, replacement airframes are inexpensive. You'll likely crash subsequent planes far less than you first! It can't be overstated that warbird style planes, or any responsive high performance one for that matter, aren't the best first planes.
I will get it eventually just takes time and practice, thanks guys for your help, I don't have anyone around me into rc anything but I am working on a few people though!!
newguy2012 is online now Find More Posts by newguy2012
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Frankly Jason, I'm tickled to have someone to talk to about the Techone P51. It's got a cult following of 2...(you and me...lol). You will soon be telling all about your successful adventures! I gave mine to my brother in mid-flight Sunday and he never gave it back. Oh, and Racie, those hcf birds look absolutely wowsa...5 freakin' ounces. And, of course, I have all the equipment lying around to fit one out...hope they're not too expensive! I also wonder about wind with these but how much inertia can 5 (freakin') ounces generate?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:11 AM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
Nitro has them ready to fly with servos and all.....I was thinking indoors though
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Probably it's forte. If you're willing to exchange a little price for customer service, I'll bet Kevin at rcplanebuilder can get any of the Techone stuff. He's a dealer and can easily combo up a package. As much as I like and have used the stateside Chinese distributors, I think I'm going to try to move onshore when I can.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
move onshore and buy offshore? Remember what they're selling......same stuff
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
It ain't the stuff that's different, it's customer service and timely access to information when I need it that is. If I get a bad servo, for example...something that is not rare with these cheapies...I get acknowledgment and a replacement much faster. I can talk to people about what motor or prop works. Don't get me wrong, HK and NP have served me well over the years and I'm not dissatisfied, but I'm just feeling a little "more" satisfied with other dealers lately that I have access to...just sayin'.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:21 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
I also use a local hobby shop alot....you're right , there's something to be said about knowledgable service.
In general, if one of his supplers can get it to him I choose that route.......otherwise it's the "buy it now" button......without remorse
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Couldn't agree more, same with me. Selection, selection, selection...the all Techone package that I got with the P51 from NitroPlanes works flawlessly and the power is just right for me, no guesswork. That hcf Sbach is calling to me, but I've no indoor venue.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:40 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
ahhh...we have a few indoor choices here .....Im liking the hcf too but nitro doesnt have the kit only ones or with motor only... that said m experience has been that milled planes are stronger than these "baggie bombs"....we'll see
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Well, the only milled plane I've got is the HK Tristania (Spirit) and I fly it only outdoors and I can attest to it's durability...cuz I'm a crappy pilot I only wish i'd used all Welder's or the like from day one. Every CA joint I've had has let go. Very, and I mean very little foam has broken. I know there's more advanced planes out there but I really like my Tech's. Might be a cult thing like I told Newguy...where's he been anyway? Hope he's still in the air!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:50 PM
Using foam in moderation
United States, IL, Aviston
Joined Sep 2012
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-squared View Post
Well, the only milled plane I've got is the HK Tristania (Spirit) and I fly it only outdoors and I can attest to it's durability...cuz I'm a crappy pilot I only wish i'd used all Welder's or the like from day one. Every CA joint I've had has let go. Very, and I mean very little foam has broken. I know there's more advanced planes out there but I really like my Tech's. Might be a cult thing like I told Newguy...where's he been anyway? Hope he's still in the air!
still here! I havent had a chance to do squat all week - work, kids sick aaaaaaahhhh! never ends and I have to work all weekend and the weather is supposed to be great!! today isn't looking bad if I can sneak out and give it another whirl, my kid loves it and i am having alot of fun with it when we can get it out, what are these HCF you guys are talking about??
J
newguy2012 is online now Find More Posts by newguy2012
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:54 PM
Jet's are cool!
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2011
352 Posts
Tempo

The Tempo looks kinda funny. the Tempo is the best flying plane I have ever flown.Has anyone else tried it? I HAVE WINGED IT IN ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS ON Low knife edge passes with absolutely no damage! The Tempo is awesome.
UNABLE2SURF is offline Find More Posts by UNABLE2SURF
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined May 2008
246 Posts
Jason, the hcf planes can be scoped out on the Techone site...they're basically a rigid foam cutout frame covered with film on one side for rigidity. Super low weight...around 5 oz. AUW. Definitely for indoor or calm days. Think flying a Kleenex (with about the same potential for damage). Look way cool. And as for the Tempo...thick slabs of USDA prime epp, airfoil wing, goofy extra wing on top....what's not to like. I'd relish the opportunity to fly one, haven't so far. The sheer diversity and, well, oddity of the Techone line is why I like 'em.