HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:20 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,290 Posts
Discussion
why does this video look like this?

any reason why my video gets all wavy and any way to keep it from happening again?

wing cam (2 min 51 sec)
smitty919 is offline Find More Posts by smitty919
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
Chalfont St Giles, Bucks, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,172 Posts
It's all to do with vibration from motor and prop. Did you notice it disappeared when you cut throttle.
Try balancing your prop and see how much that improves.
Paul@SCC is offline Find More Posts by Paul@SCC
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
All about where you place it Smitty... and how you place it, try some foam, cut angles, even a peice of doublesided tape, or rubber cement, anythignto absorb shock, I do not balance props I know that the prop savers screws without hte prop will cause distortion as well, notice my prop is smooth at times?

Air flow also causes vibration so mae sure it is snug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enj3tIyuK-I
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:20 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
It's all to do with vibration from motor and prop. Did you notice it disappeared when you cut throttle.
Try balancing your prop and see how much that improves.
The prop was all banged up and no doubt off balance due to cutting the grass with it lol..
I replaced with a new one and also got some new Velcro to try we shall see how it looks on the next flight...
Thanks for your input
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:23 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
All about where you place it Smitty... and how you place it, try some foam, cut angles, even a peice of doublesided tape, or rubber cement, anythignto absorb shock, I do not balance props I know that the prop savers screws without hte prop will cause distortion as well, notice my prop is smooth at times?

Air flow also causes vibration so mae sure it is snug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enj3tIyuK-I
Fish i thank you for your reply and will try some new locations..
I like your videos and your input on all topics your truly obsessed in this hobby and thats awesome...
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:10 PM
3D Printer Owner
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
From a technical standpoint, it's called the rolling shutter effect. Wikipedia article here.

It happens because many image sensors simply scan across the frame one line at a time rather then take full frame progressive snapshots of the scene.

I'm sure there are some small-sized cameras that counteract this effect, but minimizing vibrations to the camera will surly help.
Physics_Dude is offline Find More Posts by Physics_Dude
Last edited by Physics_Dude; Mar 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:49 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
It is funny how the 808 KC came a long way so small that a DIS is not placed in, to compensate for the vibation.

Smitty velcro may help but makesure no looseness or movement of cam. rolling shutter, jello effect whatever, this cam is a cheapo with no stabilization you get what you pay for.

ALso a autofocus cams lens will jitter around that is not a good thing to have shaking/ I rather have a KC cam banged around then my sony.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Well, it is what they have already mentioned, jelloeffect caused by rolling shutter. All cmos cameras has the socalled rolling shutter. If you can get hold of a camera with a CCD sensor instead of CMOS i can tell you they dont have rolling shutter issues. CCD has the socalled global shutter which doesnt give this effect.
Beware though, because a lot, and I mean a lot, of manufacturers seem to write their camera has got CCD when its really a CMOS image sensor. This is due to that many seems to think that CCD is infact another word for image sensor. In reality its just one type of image sensor, like CMOS is another one.
I have yet to find a videocamera suitable for aerial video that has got real CCD. Enough about that.

There are a few things you can think of. First of all, like they said, get rid of as much as possible of the vibrations that reaches the camera. Use for instance Mg4 moon gel or similar. Look for a camera with as big image sensor as possible. The smaller the sensor, the more rolling shutter issues you will experience.
babanan is offline Find More Posts by babanan
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Lens is seperate from board, it is moving causing the shakes. Rolling shutter, global shutter jello effect, the butterfly effect whatever.... it's a cheap camera no DIS to compensate, not argueing. Has anyone glued the crap out of the lens section?

Here Smitty you will enjoy a few more angles.

Look closely you can see Mud cty (ocean city ) (lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPF0stHjL9Y

Nose dive at Full wot, If cam is not movin she is not a shaking, anthing else a shaking is of the plane or lens.

no pun intended
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,290 Posts
Ok how do i get this moon gel will my local stores Cary this if so what store lol cause the odds of me walking in to a store and asking for moon gel is not going to happen lol...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Moongel is sold at musicstores. Moon gel is used for dampening the sound of drums.
It does necessary solve your problem but I have heard nice reports from other multicopterpilots around.
babanan is offline Find More Posts by babanan
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
This plane brings back so many recent memories.

Advice from flying the same plane in the past: balance your prop, CORRECTION (i ran a P-51D 10x6) and keep the rpm positive. if you idle-the motor step (stock anyways) will only cause more vibration and.....enhance the jello as described above.

This is the best i could ever get out of this plane. (still some jello)
Gopro Hero 1.
stock gopro 3M clip and tape for insurance.
60fps
post: mpegstreamclip to prores422, conformed to 24 using cinema tools. Edit FCP, export H.264
no stab, -250% (slowmo) does wonders stabilizing. shorts clips of course.
nothing fancy but put this together for my own memories, here you go:
Training for FPV Maiden (2 min 21 sec)
fpvcinema is offline Find More Posts by fpvcinema
Last edited by fpvcinema; Mar 13, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: misprint
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
nice and smooth....

Smitty each plane will vary in flight, good luck with whatever you do.......... just remember its a Kc cam,
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
To fishycomics:
re: Just asking are you talking about the Super-cub stock prop, a 9x8, for floats 10x8. or other?

Thanks for catching that error. I was running the P-51D 10x8.
fpvcinema is offline Find More Posts by fpvcinema
Old Mar 14, 2012, 04:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvcinema View Post
To fishycomics:
re: Just asking are you talking about the Super-cub stock prop, a 9x8, for floats 10x8. or other?

Thanks for catching that error. I was running the P-51D 10x8.
I thought I read about a super cub and stock propeller.... when I re-read I could not visually see it due to lack of.... So I myself deleted the info I wrote.

hanks I knew the prop was 9x8 and optional 10x8. did not know you had a smaller prop added. or other reason. no a biggie thanks