HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
Took it out for a spin this morning, can't get enough of this plane. Windy as hell, but that didn't stop me from taping my old goPro to it
With gopro adding weight to the bottom of the plane and with winds ~20-30mph at high altitudes it was gliding forever.

Which software did you use for these photo effects ..Looks nice!
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:31 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
455 Posts
Well, BajiKing would no doubt be proud. It will be interesting to see how the intra-wing vs. fuselage tube placement of electronics shakes out. Sounds like you have the speedy version tricked out. I wonder if adding FPV gear ends up tipping the favor towards thinner wing plus a trim fuselage. Much fun to be had.
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Which software did you use for these photo effects ..Looks nice!
photoshop, pulled a few frames from video and didn't like how raw they looked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
Well, BajiKing would no doubt be proud. It will be interesting to see how the intra-wing vs. fuselage tube placement of electronics shakes out. Sounds like you have the speedy version tricked out. I wonder if adding FPV gear ends up tipping the favor towards thinner wing plus a trim fuselage. Much fun to be had.
fuselage version will be a separate project, that I will continue in a few weeks, I think I'll be using same power plant.

Meanwhile bajiwing will undergo some changes as well, while I wait for new motors/esc
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:51 AM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Quote:
Took it out for a spin this morning, can't get enough of this plane. Windy as hell, but that didn't stop me from taping my old goPro to it
With gopro adding weight to the bottom of the plane and with winds ~20-30mph at high altitudes it was gliding forever.

Hey I know that neighborhood!! that first shot is Dyker park Golf corse.
I used to live on 20th Ave between Bath Ave and Cropsy Ave.
And I thought the only place you can fly R/C in Brooklyn was Floyd Bennett Field.
I now reside in upstate NY. Verry cool!!!
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer View Post
Hey I know that neighborhood!! that first shot is Dyker park Golf corse.
I used to live on 20th Ave between Bath Ave and Cropsy Ave.
And I thought the only place you can fly R/C in Brooklyn was Floyd Bennett Field.
I now reside in upstate NY. Verry cool!!!
That's exactly it! I live closy by too, Bay Parwkway and Cropsey, I'd say 3 min from your old house

Brooklyn is not the most RC friendly spot, but Dyker works for me on week days. Early in the morning direction of sun at 7 am and lack of people make nearly perfect. Tomorrow we're expecting 4-5mph winds, so I'm planing to launch goPro again.
But you're right, Floyd Bennett and Marine Park (Gerritsen beach) are the only 2 spots to fly according to AMA
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:24 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
838 Posts
It looks like a very nice wing, and an effective use of the armin wing technique. I have printed the dimensions and will be pulling out some foam shortly!
Cheers
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
354 Posts
Here is a video showing some details, hopefully my accent won't make it too difficult to understand what the hell I'm talking about
I made another small modification since then, moved the receiver and rotated the battery 90 degress, so it's not sticking out anymore.
BajiWing build details and close ups (3 min 8 sec)
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:10 AM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Quote:
That's exactly it! I live closy by too, Bay Parwkway and Cropsey, I'd say 3 min from your old house

Brooklyn is not the most RC friendly spot, but Dyker works for me on week days. Early in the morning direction of sun at 7 am and lack of people make nearly perfect. Tomorrow we're expecting 4-5mph winds, so I'm planing to launch goPro again.
But you're right, Floyd Bennett and Marine Park (Gerritsen beach) are the only 2 spots to fly according to AMA
I'm actually in NYC today wish I had packed some foamies!
What a small world, my cousin built condos on Bay 29th between Bath and Cropsey and the ones on the corner Bath and Bay 29th. One of my best friends growing up owns Dyker Bagels and Bella Luna Pizza and Rest. On 86st by where you fly across from Nathan's hotdogs.
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2011
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer View Post
I'm actually in NYC today wish I had packed some foamies!
What a small world, my cousin built condos on Bay 29th between Bath and Cropsey and the ones on the corner Bath and Bay 29th. One of my best friends growing up owns Dyker Bagels and Bella Luna Pizza and Rest. On 86st by where you fly across from Nathan's hotdogs.
haha that's awesome, a small world indeed. Just had Dyker Bagels a few days ago when I was wandering around the other side of Dyker
Old Mar 15, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
354 Posts
Well here is an unexpected turn of events.

Took my wing for a flight today, used up one battery, landed.
While I was looking for a 2nd battery, all of a sudden throttle went all the way up, even though tX was sitting on the ground and I didn't touch it. Luckily I was out of the way of the prop.

Turned out my DX6i got stuck in full-throttle, potentiometer shorted out for no reason and stick doesn't respond anymore. It just shows full throttle on monitor...

At least it didn't happen in mid air, I'd have to drain the battery before attempting to land, which would take some time

I have to either track down a same potentiometer and repair myself, or get another DX6i from Craigslist while I wait for HH to fix my tX...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:03 PM
Canada, AB, Olds
Joined Apr 2011
94 Posts
I updated the foamboard layout in Post #11 for a better fit and proper overlap on the fold-over
Rob Mackenzie is offline Find More Posts by Rob Mackenzie
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Nov 2011
354 Posts
awesome, thanks for your help!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,632 Posts
Yikes! that second photo showing the geometric overbuilt scene .. seemingly right out of ''1984" I find genuinely disturbing.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Nov 2011
354 Posts
that's Brooklyn for you
we're stuck in early 1900s
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:40 PM
Assault the sky
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Aug 2004
141 Posts
I'm working on my own Armin flying wing. Was hoping to be the first but then I found this thread, lol.

I nearly finished one wing half last night. It will be 35 deg sweep, tapered (about ~11" root chord and 5" tip chord), and roughly 40" span if I decide not to add a straight center section, which I might. It is also tapered in thickness, with 5 foamboard thicknesses at the root and 3 at the tip. (yes I said 5 at the root, it is kinda thick but I think it is ok for the chord length. We'll see how it flies) I left a channel for a spar the entire length but I really don't think it needs one, it is super stiff!

Also, the day I bought my foamboard at the DollarTree, they only had black. So it looks like I will be building a miniature "B-2" of sorts ;-)
secretspy711 is offline Find More Posts by secretspy711