HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
4.6 pounds (74oz)! Looks like we were way off on the estimates. I'm sure the motor is fine for FPV, but is sport aerobatic capable? I'm just wondering how reality compares to Webocalc with that motor. Awesome setup.
I found a postage scale and got an accurate weight. 61oz with qty 2 2200mah batts. So we are much closer to your estimates. I should get a chance to fly sunday and will have a video of how she performs.

Updated with first fpv video - also showing a working Nova OSD w/ RTH

08-19-2012 Longsurfer FPV Plane - Test Flight - RTH and PA mode demo (9 min 24 sec)
nieder2 is offline Find More Posts by nieder2
Last edited by nieder2; Aug 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM. Reason: video added
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, FL, Weston
Joined Nov 2012
18 Posts
reverse Baji - forward sweep

Gave a forum search a try but didn't find anything, I thought readers of this thread might have some insight...

Basically I was hoping to see if anyone's tried using Experimental Ed's ARMIN wing building technique to build a forward swept wing [as opposed to the rearward swept Baji wing]? I'm interested in IBCrazy's SPECTRE [v2] design but would like to see if the wing shape can be made using $Tree foamboard[s] instead of EPP. For those unfamiliar [I won;t link to another website's forum] with the design, it's basically a 48" wing but swept forward at the tips [approx 1.5 - 2"] having a root chord of ~10" and tip chord of ~7".

When I first learned Ed's [brilliant] ARMIN wing build technique I started to wonder if it could be used to build a flying wing. Ed went a different direction with his own wing design but I liked the shape of a 'true' flying wing as he described. I tried figuring it out on my own and found out I was definitely on the right track when I found this thread and saw Rob's template.

Over the weekend I stumbled on a video which included an IBCrazy designed SPECTRE v2 and was just stunned. It was love at first sight. Can't explain why, those things just happen sometimes! LOL Anyway, I'm back to the drawing board trying to figure out how to replicate IB's forward sweeping wing design using the Armin technique but figured I'd ask around first. No sense in trying to reinvent the wheel. His basic design would work fine I suppose with a straight wing, but just like the Baji there's just something incredibly sexy about the look of his his forward swept wing. It gives the the whole design an almost 'evil' look. In reading a bit about the benefits/drawbacks of the forward swept wing I thought it's worth the effort to try.
Ricklandia is offline Find More Posts by Ricklandia
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
forward swept wing is no different from what people have been doing in this thread.

Obviously you wing template will look different (if you plan on folding it from a single piece and not glueing together top and bottom) other than that it's the same thing.
templton89 is offline Find More Posts by templton89
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined May 2012
152 Posts
Hello Ricklandia
Go to Foamboard Scratchbuild University and read the last 3 or so pages mostly what Nightstone has been writing and showing in pics. That should help you a lot.

Keep up the good work guys. Have fun flying.
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, OH, South Lebanon
Joined Jul 2005
263 Posts
I built a 26" wing a few months ago, and have put it through a few successful, scary flights. Being such a small wingspan, it is very sensitive and fast, so it requires limiting control throws and upping exponential, and could definitely use some throttle to aileron mixing to counter torque roll. This is basically a scaled down version of my 40" wing, but I only removed paper from the inside of the wing panels.

I have only flown this on 2s with a 2840kv motor and 6x4 prop, and it is very fast (55-60 mph), with unlimited vertical. I haven't dared to try a 3s on this, but with 4.5x4.5 prop it should go quite a bit faster.

Here is a video I used for constructing this style wing.

Wingspan: 26"
Wing area: 170 sq in
All up weight: 10-12oz

Battery:
- 2S 1000mah 25~50C Turnigy nano-tech
- 3S 850mAh 45~90C Turnigy nano-tech
Motor: RCTimer CF2805-14 2840KV 32g
ESC: RCTimer 20amp
Servos: 2x 3.7g servos
Prop:
- 6x4 for 2S
- 4.5x4.5 for 3s (haven't tried)
TimJC is online now Find More Posts by TimJC
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
that's a cool alternative to POP Wings!
I have a small pop wing with very similar specs, and I'm sure you're 29" version is a lot of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJC View Post
I built a 26" wing a few months ago, and have put it through a few successful, scary flights. Being such a small wingspan, it is very sensitive and fast, so it requires limiting control throws and upping exponential, and could definitely use some throttle to aileron mixing to counter torque roll. This is basically a scaled down version of my 40" wing, but I only removed paper from the inside of the wing panels.

I have only flown this on 2s with a 2840kv motor and 6x4 prop, and it is very fast (55-60 mph), with unlimited vertical. I haven't dared to try a 3s on this, but with 4.5x4.5 prop it should go quite a bit faster.

Here is a video I used for constructing this style wing.

Wingspan: 26"
Wing area: 170 sq in
All up weight: 10-12oz

Battery:
- 2S 1000mah 25~50C Turnigy nano-tech
- 3S 850mAh 45~90C Turnigy nano-tech
Motor: RCTimer CF2805-14 2840KV 32g
ESC: RCTimer 20amp
Servos: 2x 3.7g servos
Prop:
- 6x4 for 2S
- 4.5x4.5 for 3s (haven't tried)
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:01 PM
United States, OH, South Lebanon
Joined Jul 2005
263 Posts
I don't know if fun is the right word. It is small (26") and really fast for that size and/or my skill level. I haven't flown it in a couple months, nor have I tried a 3s in it yet. Hopefully that will happen blin the spring.

One good thing about the compact size is that it is very stiff.
TimJC is online now Find More Posts by TimJC
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:00 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
26" Wing

I just finished my 26" wing made out of a single sheet of Dollartree foam board. Its got a skyartec 280 1800kv motor, 6x5.5 prop, and 3S 1300mAh lipo. Two 9 gram servos and a Castle Creations 10 amp ESC producing about 100 watts, all up weight is 10 oz. Haven't had a chance to maiden it yet.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:04 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Orange and black baji wing

Bottom

Ailerons cut out of the wing instead of additional strip
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:41 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
That is one fun looking wing you got there. And that site and weather look awesome too! Looks like you're having fun for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit View Post

Bottom

Ailerons cut out of the wing instead of additional strip
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:56 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by templton89 View Post
That is one fun looking wing you got there. And that site and weather look awesome too! Looks like you're having fun for sure
It is fun. Thanks for the design. Yeah, it's a great flying field. Unfortunately I only had one charged lipo to fly today for the maiden. I was worried about how it would fly without winglets, but it flew well. There was a noticeable slide though when performing turns. Nice and fast, for me at least.
Old Apr 06, 2013, 07:39 PM
Joined Oct 2012
133 Posts
Would the Baji Wing be a good build for me?

Here's what I got for electronics etc:
580w outrunner
2200mah 3s
60a esc
9g MG servos

Also, where can I find the plans?
Komm_Klink is offline Find More Posts by Komm_Klink
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:29 AM
Joined Nov 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit View Post
is it fin less?
goly is offline Find More Posts by goly
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:37 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goly View Post
is it fin less?
Yes, it's finless. Flew well.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komm_Klink View Post
Would the Baji Wing be a good build for me?

Here's what I got for electronics etc:
580w outrunner
2200mah 3s
60a esc
9g MG servos

Also, where can I find the plans?

That setup should be more than enough, if something I'd say 500w motor is a little over the top, unless you plan on breaking speed records or carrying a lot of video equipment.
I've always used 220-300w motors on mine. I'd guess that you'll need a bigger battery or use 2 of them in parallel.

There are plans on first few pages of the thread, although they're not your typical PDFs

I say improvise a little and make x2 20" wings with 10" center section to get a total of 50" wingspan, also that will allow you to arange your electronics a lot better. or look at some of the ways to achieve 30" wing described in this thread. 60" wingspan wing must be a dream to fly.