HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
United States, PA, Center Valley
Joined Dec 2008
395 Posts
Discussion
Flea Market Gremlin

Need some help with this one. I just bought a used combat Gremlin at a rc flea market. It is complete with GWS mini standard servos on elevons and a Hobbico CS-35 for throttle. Engine is a MVVS 4.2. Can someone give me starting carb settings and fuel type. I fly electric wings , planes and also have electric and nitro helis. This thing is cool but I need some help to get her going. Thanks , Brad
brolley is online now Find More Posts by brolley
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,546 Posts
Well since no one else is saying anything, start the settings for the main needle valve at 3 & 1/2 turns out and lean it out after it starts running until it is at the maximum rpm, you may go over a bit which is bad, just richen it quickly again. When it is at the max revs, richen it a bit til it slows a little and then raise the nose up to about 45 degrees. If it leans out and dies, richen it some more. Then set the idle mixture to get a good idle and acceleration without flooding or starving. On the european motors 5% nitro and 20% oil is good. Some castor oil is always good, at least 5% of the 20. If it is an older steel piston cyl, more castor is needed. ABC is usually ok with more synthetic. Or join a club or at least hang around one for a bit and ask lots of questions.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Dec 2008
395 Posts
Thanks aspeed. I got it running but it wasn't easy. After getting it started I got it tuned to run pretty good from idle to full throttle. When I shut it down and try again 15-20 min later it's really hard to start. If I shut it down and start it again immediately , it starts fine. I'm using Byron airplane fuel 10% nitro, 16% oil synthetic / castor blend. Hand propping with a AA batt glow driver.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:54 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,546 Posts
Likely a dead battery. Even the bigger sub C cells don't last long. You need a strong orange glow. I would add another 4% (castor) oil to the fuel. Usually needs a prime by choking from the carb or a couple of drops in the exhaust when cold. Set the idle fairly slow and make sure it is reliable, and have the trim shut it off because there is no landing gear and the motor shouldn't really be running when it lands.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Dec 2008
395 Posts
Aspeed, I found what the problem was. While the engine was running and I was tuning it , the idle mixture screw was turning from vibration. Pulled it out cleaned it and used a little locktight to reinstall it. All is good now!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:43 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,789 Posts
is there a spring under the needle ?
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett