HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:08 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sandown
Joined Mar 2007
241 Posts
Hi all
I have a DSX9 TX and wondered if anyone has be able to use the DSM on the wakera tx, I would like to use My dsx9 on my V120do2s, is it possible ?
dna001 is offline Find More Posts by dna001
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,410 Posts
Is Futaba's FHSS and FASST possible with the RF chip used in the Devo and Spectrum transmitters?
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Feb 2010
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Is Futaba's FHSS and FASST possible with the RF chip used in the Devo and Spectrum transmitters?
No. AFAIK, Futaba also uses TI CC2500.
wuselfuzz is offline Find More Posts by wuselfuzz
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Feb 2010
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
As wusselfuzz said, you switch to the PPM protocol, and press the Re-init button. I have used it with Phoenix RC successfully. From a usage perspective, I recommend you create a new model called 'Simulator' which is setup how you like. Then it is easy to switch configurations. I may auto-detect the plug in the future like virtually every other Tx does, but we'll see.
I'd offer an option to always emit a PPM signal through the trainer jack, this could be done at the same places where 2.4 GHz packets are sent. Of course, the PPM signal will then vary, depending on the RX mode set, e.g. Walkera will have Throttle on Ch3, DSM on Ch1.

This might allow to use deviation as a buddy box for both the WK2801 and the Spectrum DX6i. Those two transmitters unfortunately can't be connected to each other without ugly (dangerous) hacks (switching the WK2801 to Mode 3...).
wuselfuzz is offline Find More Posts by wuselfuzz
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuselfuzz View Post
I'd offer an option to always emit a PPM signal through the trainer jack, this could be done at the same places where 2.4 GHz packets are sent. Of course, the PPM signal will then vary, depending on the RX mode set, e.g. Walkera will have Throttle on Ch3, DSM on Ch1.

This might allow to use deviation as a buddy box for both the WK2801 and the Spectrum DX6i. Those two transmitters unfortunately can't be connected to each other without ugly (dangerous) hacks (switching the WK2801 to Mode 3...).
I don't understand why you'd want to use PPM and 2.4GHz at the same time for the same channels. The only thing I can think of is to use it for data-logging, and we can probably find better solutions for that should the need arise.
I know that we need to support reading in PPM so we can handle trainer mode and to enable some FPV stuff that I don't understand yet.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:51 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2007
144 Posts
Thanks guys on the simulator issue, now I am able to get it up and running!

Another question though on the sim aspect. How do you set the collective pitch channel for helicopters? Throttle is on channel 3 for Devo, and if I map Collective Pitch to channel 3 as well, that will make it flyable, but essentially as a fixed pitch. I assume the pitch setting would need to be done on the TX, but which channel would it map to so I can select that in Phoenix RC.

Thanks!
upa123 is offline Find More Posts by upa123
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
I have been spending hours to read the manual and figure out how to setup the pitch, throttle curve, and throttle hold...i'm really lost lol not really used to this type of gui. I like the devo version gui easier to understand what i'm doing. I have search through the functions without a single words of pitch & throttle curve, throttle hold its kinda like make it difficute to set it this way. But still very good job done here! just need time to understand it..
I have an Idea: could some PRO User of Deviation write a "Translation Manual"? Or make a learning Video or something?

I am pretty shure, that every user of Deviation has used his or her Devo 8 with regular Walkera Firmware earlier on. So why don't give users a manual which refers to their present knowledge?

Or make a FAQ which contains Original Devention Language e.g. "How to set a Throttle/Pitch Curve", "How to set Throttle Hold" etc.
gektor is offline Find More Posts by gektor
Last edited by gektor; Sep 18, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,410 Posts
Do the people who made this fly helicopters? Because as a heli pilot setting it up for a helicopter seems very unintuitive compared to how other radios do it. Devo, Spectrum, Futaba etc all have helicopter modes that are pretty much the same.

There's a reason almost every radio has nearly the same helicopter setup. It's because after years of UI development this has been found to be what works best for a helicopter.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
I know that we need to support reading in PPM so we can handle trainer mode and to enable some FPV stuff that I don't understand yet.
The simplest way would be to include PPM1, PPM2, ... PPMn into the sources.

An example of the FPV stuff: there are video googles with motion sensors, which provide that movements as PPM signal for each dimension. If it is bound to the tx, it can send it out to the model, where the rx can move the FPV camera with servos in sync with your head movements, i.e. you can look around (within limits of course).
Am I right?
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
Quote:
Do the people who made this fly helicopters? Because as a heli pilot setting it up for a helicopter seems very unintuitive compared to how other radios do it. Devo, Spectrum, Futaba etc all have helicopter modes that are pretty much the same.

There's a reason almost every radio has nearly the same helicopter setup. It's because after years of UI development this has been found to be what works best for a helicopter.
Nobody is forced to use it.
If you like the original DEVO fw better, why would you replace it?

Actually the original fw is almost only suitable for helis.
Even for a glider it has plenty of useless functions, and there are quite a few model types that can be controlled remotely...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:08 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
Helicopter UI

Quote:

Unfortunately (for Deviation UI) I must agree. I can imagine, that the RC Plane People can handle the complex Channel paradigm, but for Helicopters (I only have helicopters) I think it is much better to have "Pitch" "Throttle" "Throttle Hold" and so on as usual...
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:11 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
Nobody is forced to use it.
If you like the original DEVO fw better, why would you replace it?
Because Deviation can handle a huge amount of different Protocols and the original firmware can only handle the Devention Protocol

Regarding multiprotocol support: Even if it only added support for my old Walkera WK Helis it would be priceless

Don't blame me for this statement, but I believe, that an original Walkera Devention Firmware with multiprotocol support would be ideal for me and my needs. I can configure everything I want with my Devention Firmware, but I'd love to have support for WK, DSM2 and FlySky Helis
Last edited by gektor; Sep 18, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:27 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2007
144 Posts
I don't mind going through different ways of setting up actually, I already assumed it's part of the learning curve to go with a different firmware. But can one changes the pitch curve right now?
upa123 is offline Find More Posts by upa123
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:37 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
180 Posts
Perhaps I have overstated my previous post: perhaps it is rewarding to learn the Deviation UI Concept and then never worry about setting up any model.

With a Walkera UI Concept, a Plane Setup is quite different compared to the helicopter setup. In Deviation it is the same procedure.

But: for the people who only use Helicopters and do not want to use quads, planes or something else (will Deviation for RC Cars and Ships be available someday?), a wizzard or a step by step tutorial with translation to the old Devo world would be great!

Convinience is very important for the most people.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upa123 View Post
I don't mind going through different ways of setting up actually, I already assumed it's part of the learning curve to go with a different firmware. But can one changes the pitch curve right now?
If you mean, that can different pitch curves be defined with the deviation fw, then yes, of course as many as you wish. (ok, max 10 for now )