HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by upa123 View Post
Can someone help clarify a bit on how Expo/DR works with Devenition?

I am flying a QR Ladybug, and keep the EXPO pretty high to keep it super mellow so my daughter could fly around the house. I started out by using the Simple template and set everything (ELE, AIL, THR, RUD) with a Scale to 40. That seems to work well, but once I switch to the Expo/DR template, things didn't go as well. What I did for all the channels is I change Switch1 to AIL DR, and then leave the Scale at 100. My intention is if AIL DR switch is at 0, it would keep the scale at 40, and if I switch it to 1, it would be the twitchy bug with no Expo.

What I found was as soon as I did that, even with AIL DR at 0, the bug is twitchy as if no Expo is set. Once I change back to Simple template, everything was fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
there is a model config file on the Deviation site that might have just what you are wanting to do...wouldn't hurt to download it and give it a try in a different model slot so you wont loose your current config file...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:57 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2007
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
Your Expo&DR template should be like this:
src=the source stick, i.e. ELE, AIL (I wouldn't use 40% exoi for the throttle an rudder)
switch1= AIL DR
Function below "High-Rate" is EXPO
Function below "Mid-Range" is EXPO or 1-to-1 (click on Mid-Rate to show)
Scales are 100 for both
Set the expo value of the first graph is 40 and 0 for the second (if it is EXPO)
Ah..... That worked. I think I got confused how it should work and only changed the scale, which helped a bit with limiting the movement, but didn't affect the Expo.

Thanks!
upa123 is offline Find More Posts by upa123
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:10 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gektor View Post
Thank you for sharing the great Idea

But: Making a usable Android touch enabled App requires some tough GUI Programming too. If you just take the current Deviation-Sim and put it to Android Phone, you won't be able to use it with your fingers because of the small buttons.
A 7" shouldnt need any change to the gui, smaller ones would need it though.
Btw, the Devo 8 touchscreen is 2.8", a normal smartphone is around ~4" so everything would be scaled up and easier to click on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
USB brings the system pretty close to its limits. there isn't much room for doing much else when USB is active. I don't think the Devo is the proper platform for a mod like this.
Well, simply being able to use the gui simulator and then move the config file over through usb should be enough.

I did not mean doing it while you you are flying as that would be overkill for the small cpu in the devo controller.

Land->Throttle Hold&| Remove bird battery and then config/move file from smartphone/tablet.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
The Devo7 has 2 issues:
1st is the segmented display. It is very limiting. I am notin favor of providing a non-configurable transmitter that needs to hook up to a computer to tweak. You spend a lot of time making a model work properly as it is. It would be even harder if you had to go back to the computer every time you wanted to change anything
Most people do that anyway with FBL systems, and even if they use the built in setup and not Pc software to set the gyro up 90% of FBL setup is done on the gyro side. Even servo arm leveling is done on the gyro and not the radio. About the only things you set up on the radio with FBL is the pitch and throttle curves, and maybe a bit of subtrim and travel adjust to get the channels 100-0-100 (which you only need to do once)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:35 PM
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2007
142 Posts
Anyone had any luck using Deviation on simulator? Previously I use a 1/4" stereo jack to plug into a dongle into the PC and the other side goes to the back of the trainer port on my DX6i. I tried to plug into the DSC port on my Devo 8 now, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Is this a hardware limitation or something Deviation firmware would need to support later? Reading the release note for 1.1.0, it says adding PPM support, which I believe is what the signal I need to the 1/4" stereo jack?

Thanks!
upa123 is offline Find More Posts by upa123
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Feb 2010
185 Posts
Quote:
Is this a hardware limitation or something Deviation firmware would need to support later? Reading the release note for 1.1.0, it says adding PPM support, which I believe is what the signal I need to the 1/4" stereo jack?
Currently, you have to set the receiver type for the model to PPM (instead of DEVO, WK2801, DSM2, ...)
wuselfuzz is offline Find More Posts by wuselfuzz
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:09 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
I have been spending hours to read the manual and figure out how to setup the pitch, throttle curve, and throttle hold...i'm really lost lol not really used to this type of gui. I like the devo version gui easier to understand what i'm doing. I have search through the functions without a single words of pitch & throttle curve, throttle hold its kinda like make it difficute to set it this way. But still very good job done here! just need time to understand it..
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined May 2011
655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
I have been spending hours to read the manual and figure out how to setup the pitch, throttle curve, and throttle hold...i'm really lost lol not really used to this type of gui. I like the devo version gui easier to understand what i'm doing. I have search through the functions without a single words of pitch & throttle curve, throttle hold its kinda like make it difficute to set it this way. But still very good job done here! just need time to understand it..
Try to load my Genius CP config to a model slot, and see if you understand.
It is relatively simple: it has 3 throttle curve for the 3 flight mode, but only a common pitch curve, a throttle hold implemented with the safety value, a switchable gyro gain (on the mix switch), and some other switchable program mix of rudder to aileron and elevator.
It is a tamed indoor setup...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Thanks FDR, great help on the template there! with this i should be able to learn faster!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined May 2011
655 Posts
If I'm not mistaken you have a DEVO 6, don't you?
I'm not sure all the switches exist on the DEVO 6, and how the deviation handles if the ones in the model config are missing, but it worths a try...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
If I'm not mistaken you have a DEVO 6, don't you?
I'm not sure all the switches exist on the DEVO 6, and how the deviation handles if the ones in the model config are missing, but it worths a try...
The Devo6has 2 less switches than the Devo8.
To ensure that the model files can be interchanged, Deviation will map the switches.
For a Devo8 setup-> devo6 all three D/R switches will map to the 'DR' switch on the Devo6 (i.e. filling the 'DR' switch on the Devo6 is the same as simultaneously switching AIL_DR, ELE_DR, RUD_DR on the Devo8). It may not be perfect, but at least the info isn't lost. Going the other way, I believe the DR switch on the Devo6 maps to the ELE_DR switch on the Devo8.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Anyone had any luck using Deviation on simulator? Previously I use a 1/4" stereo jack to plug into a dongle into the PC and the other side goes to the back of the trainer port on my DX6i. I tried to plug into the DSC port on my Devo 8 now, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!
As wusselfuzz said, you switch to the PPM protocol, and press the Re-init button. I have used it with Phoenix RC successfully. From a usage perspective, I recommend you create a new model called 'Simulator' which is setup how you like. Then it is easy to switch configurations. I may auto-detect the plug in the future like virtually every other Tx does, but we'll see.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Thanks FDR, great help on the template there! with this i should be able to learn faster!
FYI, this is the way I expect to get new users up to speed. I realize that the Deviation setup is pretty foreign to anyone who hasn't used er9x. But the ability to share working templates should help get up and running quickly. Perhaps I need to make that point in the User Manual's introduction.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:56 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Its working fine on FDR's setting even on devo6, now i just trying to figure it out what is what! Thanks again guys!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:04 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Btw I have try loading the icon and it turns out with very weird color, even the background I try to replace it with white but again very weird blue also.