HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:47 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
172 Posts
Devo 10 and Devo 7: why don't wie make them GUI-Less?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripert View Post
I have readed the thread but there is one thing that I seen that is not provided on it. I don't understand why support for the Devo 7 transmitter is not provided on this development. Devo 7 has a very simple UI and could be a very good platform for the development and testing. You only need to invest the efforts in the functionality of the system because the UI doesn't need graphics or other type of work. It is very similar to a debug system with only a text interface, once the functionality is obtained you could invest your efforts in developing a UI and do it run in other systems like Devo 8 or similar.
PhracturedBlue stated here, that the GUI is the Problem, but I disagree.

You could configure your model using your Computer (the so called Deviation Simulator), then copy your model.ini to the Tx and use your Tx Display only to choose the model and to read the most important values like battery load in the Tx or the Telemetry data.

Apart from the Display Driver, this would be easier to implement than the complete GUI.

In that way, one could theoretically have Deviation for Devo 7, Devo 7E and Devo 10 in much shorter time.
gektor is offline Find More Posts by gektor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
The Devo7 has 2 issues:
1st is the segmented display. It is very limiting. I am notin favor of providing a non-configurable transmitter that needs to hook up to a computer to tweak. You spend a lot of time making a model work properly as it is. It would be even harder if you had to go back to the computer every time you wanted to change anything

2nd is that it has no USB and a less featured CPU. This means we need to be much more careful with RAM and ROM, and upgrading would be more complicated.

It is just too much work to justify the effort.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_vy View Post
Gear = CH5. QR Ladybird Rx has 6 channels, AUX1 channel can be used, e.g. for LED control.
FYI, and Devo receiver that can receive 6 channels can likely receive 8 as well. The protocol sends either 4, 8, or 12 channels at a time. It specifies the type of Tx (so the Rx can distinguish a 6,7, 8, 10, or 12 channel Tx.
Changes I made to Deviation in 1.1.0 mean that it can only emulate 8 and 12 channel transmitters now. This means that the gyro will likely be on channel 7 for all configurations now.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
172 Posts
Devo 10 and Devo 7E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
The Devo7 has 2 issues:
1st is the segmented display. It is very limiting. I am notin favor of providing a non-configurable transmitter that needs to hook up to a computer to tweak. You spend a lot of time making a model work properly as it is. It would be even harder if you had to go back to the computer every time you wanted to change anything

2nd is that it has no USB and a less featured CPU. This means we need to be much more careful with RAM and ROM, and upgrading would be more complicated.

It is just too much work to justify the effort.
You'r right, Devo 7 is quite different, esp. because of it's lack of USB.

But what about Devo 10 and Devo 7E? They both feature USB and similar screen Layout. I think, I've read somewhere in this huge thread, that their CPUs should be the same as Devo 8.

I believe, many owners of these Transmitters will apreciate a Computer-Only Deviation Version.

The most important and amazng Deviation Feature for the most Users is not the Configuration process, but the Multi-Protocol Support.

There will be several ready to use model configs available in couple of Weeks too, I believe.

A slight tweaking using a Computer or a Laptop shouldn't bug people as much as the lack of support for their favourite Transmitter
gektor is offline Find More Posts by gektor
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:21 AM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,775 Posts
Im +1 for a barebones tx gui with pc configuration, but only as dev/early test to see that it works.
Eventually they will need somewhat complete guis.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Im +1 for a barebones tx gui with pc configuration, but only as dev/early test to see that it works.
Eventually they will need somewhat complete guis.
Exactly my point. You can alreadyuse the Devo10 from a development perspective for testing, it actually works pretty well, but without any display it is pretty useless as a Tx.

I'm not going to release a Devo10 build until I have a functional GUI for it.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
I'm able to bind to 3 different mcp x fine. It keeps the bind also. I just set a fix id then hit bind. If it doesn't bind, maybe try a different fixed id value.

I'm also able to bind to my mqx fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcornels View Post
I've updated to V1.1 and I'm still nor succesfull in bindung my MCPX and MCX... . Anyone has got an idea ?
briareos7777 is offline Find More Posts by briareos7777
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briareos7777 View Post
Btw PhracturedBlue, I tried locking all of the trims in the system menu, it would not allow me to do it. I guess that UI isn't fully hooked up yet?

I sometimes hit the trim switches by mistake when changing batteries, that's why I wanted to lock it.
Disable them by setting their source to none.
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:22 PM
Kingdom of Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Lindome
Joined Jul 2011
195 Posts
PB is there any planing for a release with telemetry?
Maybe a ETA?

//Paul
Palle_Plutt is offline Find More Posts by Palle_Plutt
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:25 PM
GERMANY
Joined Jun 2008
362 Posts
Hi,

I can bind my Blade 130X (DSM2) with DEVO8S
I did some flying this afternoon and some stunts.
It is a bit tricky to get the curves to the correct parameters especially for mode1 pilots like me (and I pull throttle - instead of pushing it)

All works fine now with DEVO8S and Blade130X - and you can setup your Blade130X more detailed as with other TX software.

Great work guys - many thanks to PhracturedBlue
NanoFreak is offline Find More Posts by NanoFreak
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
Exactly my point. You can alreadyuse the Devo10 from a development perspective for testing, it actually works pretty well, but without any display it is pretty useless as a Tx.

I'm not going to release a Devo10 build until I have a functional GUI for it.
Have you had any chance to look at a 7E?
Reason im asking is incase the solderd tx module on it differs and cant handle the other protocols like dsm2/dsmx.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,870 Posts
i have a brand new Devo7 sitting in a box in the corner of my shop...i personally do not like it cause of its crappy screen...i tried to sell it on the forums but nobody was interisted...in my opinion the devo7 is the worst tx walkera has made to date...but thats just my opinion..the only thing it has that i wish they would put on all there transmitters is a rotary dial...
not trying to offend anybody im sure there is fliers that like the devo7...but i agree its just not worth the effort and work when there is much more capable tx's that can take full advantage of deviation...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,870 Posts
wrong thread....sorry
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xermalk View Post
Have you had any chance to look at a 7E?
Reason im asking is incase the solderd tx module on it differs and cant handle the other protocols like dsm2/dsmx.
Yes, I see no reason why it won't fully support Deviation. the fact that it doesn't have a plug-in module is not really relevant. It will be next on my list after the Devo10 is functional
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty View Post
i have a brand new Devo7 sitting in a box in the corner of my shop...i personally do not like it cause of its crappy screen...i tried to sell it on the forums but nobody was interisted...in my opinion the devo7 is the worst tx walkera has made to date...but thats just my opinion..the only thing it has that i wish they would put on all there transmitters is a rotary dial...
not trying to offend anybody im sure there is fliers that like the devo7...but i agree its just not worth the effort and work when there is much more capable tx's that can take full advantage of deviation...
The reason I haven't unloaded mine yet, is that I keep thinking that I can replace the screen with a Turnigy9x type aftermarket and get it working. If you could spend $8 ($5 for the screen, $3 for a programmer) to turn the devo7 into something close to a devo10, that seems like it might be worthwhile.