Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 19, 2012, 12:06 AM
Tokyo
Joined Jan 2010
700 Posts
Is it possible to replace the speaker with a cell phone vibration motor or equivalent? E.g. when your alarm goes off or you turn on/off the tx it will vibrate instead of beeping.
bytemuncher is offline Find More Posts by bytemuncher
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:37 AM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
Joined Nov 2010
199 Posts
Has anybody modded the antenna on their Devo 6 for longer range? I've been trying to figure out how to do it but I have no clue :/. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
Has anybody modded the antenna on their Devo 6 for longer range? I've been trying to figure out how to do it but I have no clue :/. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You answer is at this very thread page 5.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Dec 2009
127 Posts
ONCEAFLY that is too cool!

[QUOTE=OnceAFly;21075201]Here is my screen shots

Can you send me your LIB file?

Thank you, Derek
derek4610 is offline Find More Posts by derek4610
Last edited by derek4610; Mar 19, 2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Dec 2009
127 Posts
Here is a PNP antenna for the DEVO 6 2dBi gain

Use the Spektrmrc SPM6830, a little drilling and your done. I seen them on EBAY for 10-12 bucks. Thanks Geehome for the find.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM6830

Forward Message
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchking View Post
derek4610 is offline Find More Posts by derek4610
Last edited by derek4610; Mar 19, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
I will only be getting a devo later this year as well as only learning ASM then.
Making the RF chip output multiple protocols intrigues me though.
Is it possible to access the encoding section in the firmware update files? If it isn't encrypted it might be possible to see how the SPI data is created and sent.
Maybe then it might be possible to create a DSM2 stream and with a custom firmware do software switching of type, so then the model menu will store protocol as well.
Has anyone thought of starting a team for custom firmware? Similar to er9x, just instead for the devo range.
Mike43110 is online now Find More Posts by Mike43110
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Honestly I think it's just ARM compiled, I would imagine a simple de-compile could be done, however that is going to leave us with some ugly looking code to sort through, but if someone with experience in decompiling firmwares can get us a base framework of the code in a compilable state then I would be more then happy to start diving into customizing the firmware .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Juggernaut Maiden
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
Well, my friend is doing a course on compilers now, so I should be able to possibly decompile it into ARM ASM, if that is what it is built in.
I am still a student though, so time is a bit of an issue.

Problem is, only going to be able to do something with the code in the second half of this year, have to do a course on microprocessors(which will really help for this work).

(Hope this doesn't sound rude) What coding knowledge do you have? I know C# and am doing C++ in my own time, but that helps this section none unfortunately.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike43110 View Post
Well, my friend is doing a course on compilers now, so I should be able to possibly decompile it into ARM ASM, if that is what it is built in.
I am still a student though, so time is a bit of an issue.

Problem is, only going to be able to do something with the code in the second half of this year, have to do a course on microprocessors(which will really help for this work).

(Hope this doesn't sound rude) What coding knowledge do you have? I know C# and am doing C++ in my own time, but that helps this section none unfortunately.
I know the basic fundamentals of all C like languages, I have experience in C, C++, C#, Java, PHP, Javascript, PHP, VB (all versions including .net), as well as many other languages.

I have been programming since I was 8 , been making money off it since I was 14, and has been the majority of my adult life work . Currently almost all of my development time is on websites, though in the past my focus was on software (mainly business systems).
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
I am pretty confident that walkera has their source in C++ using an arm compiler, I am going to do a little research and see if there are any ARM C++ decompilers
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined May 2010
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I know the basic fundamentals of all C like languages, I have experience in C, C++, C#, Java, PHP, Javascript, PHP, VB (all versions including .net), as well as many other languages.

I have been programming since I was 8 , been making money off it since I was 14, and has been the majority of my adult life work . Currently almost all of my development time is on websites, though in the past my focus was on software (mainly business systems).
So its safe to say you know what you are doing

IDA-Pro looks to be promising for at least basic decompile into ARM ASM, grabbing the free version now(damn you slow South African internet!) hoping that it can at least output something I can at least read.

Haven't seen anything that can go straight to c++ though, would be nice if there was.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike43110 View Post
So its safe to say you know what you are doing

IDA-Pro looks to be promising for at least basic decompile into ARM ASM, grabbing the free version now(damn you slow South African internet!) hoping that it can at least output something I can at least read.

Haven't seen anything that can go straight to c++ though, would be nice if there was.
IDA Pro can actually rofl, it's the program I came up with too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
IDA Pro can actually rofl, it's the program I came up with too.
Unless they didn't strip their binaries, IDAPro (which is an awesome program) won't get you much other than assembly. If you are really lucky, you'll get some of the variable names. In my experience, it is a lot harder to read disassembled C++ than C due to haw classes are handled, but it can be done.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I've done reverse-engineering on ARM (stripped binaries) using IDA, and it is a very tedious task. you need to have an idea what you are looking for to get started. Generally it is much easier if you have some knowledge of the hardware, since I find the best way to work is to find the functions that deal with I/O, and work backwards from there.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but there is no magic button that'll convert assembly back to C++ (without having the debug files, which I don't think Walkera will provide), and reverse-engineering the firmware is likely to be very challenging

In my (somewhat uninformed) opinion, it will be easier to start from scratch, understanding how the hardware is connected to the uC and coding a brand-new firmware (or maybe using er9x as a base) if you really want to unlock the power of this transmitter. Reverse-engineering may be really helpful for supporting Walkera's protocol though.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
Unless they didn't strip their binaries, IDAPro (which is an awesome program) won't get you much other than assembly. If you are really lucky, you'll get some of the variable names. In my experience, it is a lot harder to read disassembled C++ than C due to haw classes are handled, but it can be done.

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I've done reverse-engineering on ARM (stripped binaries) using IDA, and it is a very tedious task. you need to have an idea what you are looking for to get started. Generally it is much easier if you have some knowledge of the hardware, since I find the best way to work is to find the functions that deal with I/O, and work backwards from there.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but there is no magic button that'll convert assembly back to C++ (without having the debug files, which I don't think Walkera will provide), and reverse-engineering the firmware is likely to be very challenging

In my (somewhat uninformed) opinion, it will be easier to start from scratch, understanding how the hardware is connected to the uC and coding a brand-new firmware (or maybe using er9x as a base) if you really want to unlock the power of this transmitter. Reverse-engineering may be really helpful for supporting Walkera's protocol though.
Yeah I have been considering looking over the ER9X source... but it is a different chip architecture too, I don't know how much of a difference that is going to make...

Plus there is still the need to fully decode the Devo protocol as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I have been considering looking over the ER9X source... but it is a different chip architecture too, I don't know how much of a difference that is going to make...
Likely all of the I/O will need to be reimplemented, including input from the switches, output to the screen, and output to the Tx. As the walkera seems to have a 'bare' transmitter chip, the protocols to that will be needed too, although it may be easier to start by getting the trainer port working. Looking at the ersky project may be helpful, as I believe they took the er9x source as the base, and now have it working on a replacement (ARM based) main-board.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue