HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:10 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
862 Posts
Any of you smart people figured out how I can use this with my Devo 8S yet?
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
You could hack in the regular DIY module but the one with telemetry would require firmware support.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
You could hack in the regular DIY module because the connection between the radio and the module is one way but the one with telemetry would require firmware support.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
My latest DEVO 6 screen design

I know these are just bit maps but the sky is the limit on screen layouts. The timer values just pop with the yellow background (even in the sun). I brightened up the battery level indicator also. The telemetry screen is next. Post your modified screens. Just ordered a J-Tag, keep hacking.

Derek
derek4610 is offline Find More Posts by derek4610
Old Mar 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
DEVO 6 screen design,throttle %

Throttle % Mod.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,071 Posts
Looking good!

I'll probably copy your color scheme.

Thanks for sharing.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,260 Posts
Devo TX transmits on three channels, doesn't frequency hop. Apparently scans the environment for unused channels first. Possible that it changes frequencies if too much interference pops up on the channels it's currently using (they didn't test for that)

http://fpvcentral.net/?p=240

Walkera apparently believes that their implementation of DSSS is more resistant to interference than FSSS, or at least that's what they say.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:17 AM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Devo TX transmits on three channels, doesn't frequency hop. Apparently scans the environment for unused channels first. Possible that it changes frequencies if too much interference pops up on the channels it's currently using (they didn't test for that)

Walkera apparently believes that their implementation of DSSS is more resistant to interference than FSSS, or at least that's what they say.
I have seen the same in other places mentioned too.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:09 AM
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
DSSS or FHSS which is better?

I fly with FHSS and DSSS and never had any issues. Below is a brief explanation on the two types of SS we use in our hobby. It's really your choice, just make sure the TX power output is at least +15dBm for proper radio range. Oh and stay away from metal fences, multi-path is a enemy.

There are two SS techniques used in the RC industry. Direct-Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS) multiplies the data stream with a high-data rate sequence called chip sequence or Pseudo-Noise (PN) sequence, because due to its lenght is seems as a random signal, like the noise (but of course, it is a completely deterministic signal which means "it appears to be, but it is not"). DSSS creates time diversity (a "variety" in the time domain).

Frequency-Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) uses a chip sequence to conrol the frequency hops of the carrier. The resulting signal is like a progressive-FM signal. FHSS creates frequency diversity.

Both SS techniques give a Spreading Gain to the transmitted signal, which is simillar to the Coding Gain of the error-control codes we add additional bits to correct errors; we use this redundancy for error control. That is, we increase the transmitted bandwidth but we can decrease the transmitted power required to have an acceptable S/N at the receiver). Moreover, SS techniques can be combined with multiple access techniques. With Code Division Multiple Access a code sequence is used to give an identity to each user, which than we will transmit a signal spread by a PN sequence. So, each user can use the whole available bandwidth for all the time, but users do not interfere because they are separated in the code domain. Finally, a RAKE receiver can be used to resolve the multiple paths and compensated the ISI caused due to the multipath propagation.

Keep Hacking.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,071 Posts
Made as much sense to me as the Lotto numbers do at predicting the weather.
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Mar 18, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek4610 View Post
I know these are just bit maps but the sky is the limit on screen layouts. The timer values just pop with the yellow background (even in the sun). I brightened up the battery level indicator also. The telemetry screen is next. Post your modified screens. Just ordered a J-Tag, keep hacking.

Derek
Lighten up the airplane a bit so it won't have any pure blacks, because that will be transparent...

Mine looks very similar: simple transitional blue background with white boxes...
http://rc.fdr.hu/devo.php#cust_lib
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Last edited by FDR_; Jul 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: corrected link
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
DEVO background

FDR, looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
Lighten up the airplane a bit so it won't have any pure blacks, because that will be transparent...

Mine looks very similar: simple transitional blue background with white boxes...
http://rc.fdr.hu/DEVO-8%20Lib%20v0.0.5%20FDR%20v2.zip
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:51 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Looking good Derek! Happy to see ppl using the tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post

The older Walkera sets transmitted 4 packets on 3 different frequencies (pattern repeats every 12 packets). My Tx hasn't arrived yet but when it does I plan to check if it is doing the same frequency hopping as the older sets
rcH4x0r is offline Find More Posts by rcH4x0r
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Well that's a very nice tool you made and i'm having fun with it thanks to you!
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:51 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Here is my screen shots

OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly