HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thloh85 View Post
Seriously? You got my attention here... Cloning your repo when I get off work!!! (BTW, I don't have UART, so anything I can check to indicate anything works at all?
Thanks a lot PB!!!
I added a 3-note sound on startup just now.
I strongly recommend you get yourself a $3 UART. It is really hard to do development without one. I use a CP2102 which are pretty widely available.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceddi View Post
I finally managed to compile the firmware and put it on my new 8s. Excellent work, it's really beautiful.
I wanted to test some DSM stuff but don't managed to find any kind of binding function. Can you just give me a short hint?

Thanks,
Boris
I haven't done too much work on DSM2 lately, but I just tried this and it worked.
set Deviation to DSM2, FixedId = None and power off tx.
plug in bind cable to Rx and power on
turn on Tx. wait 10 seconds
turn off tx and rx
unplug bind cable
power on Rx and then turn on Tx

Servos worked fine though they hum some. That may be due to my crappy servos, the cheapo Orange DSM2, or noise in the data I'm sending. As I said, I haven't spent much time working on DSM2.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Not working for me

Looked through the sources this morning and found no real implementation of DSM binding. So i will wait...
magiceddi is offline Find More Posts by magiceddi
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
I've never worked with flashing the firmware on my Devo 8S, but I was wondering if, when we finally do have an alpha or beta, it will be safe to do so without "bricking" the device. That is, fully ruining it beyond recovery.

My experience with firmware flashing comes from iPhones and Android flashing, and these devices always have a very low level mode that can be used to restore default firmware. I saw mention of "dfu" in the thread; does that mean the same thing as DFU mode for iPhones?
gabeoravitz is offline Find More Posts by gabeoravitz
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeoravitz View Post
I've never worked with flashing the firmware on my Devo 8S, but I was wondering if, when we finally do have an alpha or beta, it will be safe to do so without "bricking" the device. That is, fully ruining it beyond recovery.
Using the DFU it should not be possible to brick the device. the worst case is a 'reboot loop'. You need to pull the battery then power back up with 'Ext' pressed to get back to the bootloader.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2011
71 Posts
When I click on the link to get the editor, it takes me to a "justhost.com" search page? What's up with that? and how do I get the editor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcH4x0r View Post
I put together a little tool for editing the bitmaps in Walkera Devo 6, 8 & 12 after chatting to FDR_. You can find it here

When you open a Walkera lib you will be presented with a list of "resource elements" each of which contains one or more bitmaps. Double clicking on a "resource element" allows you browse the bitmaps in that element and import/export the bitmaps as standard Windows bitmap files. When importing a bitmap it must be the same size as the original.

You can also export all the bitmaps in a Walkera lib file (use the export all button).

If you modify any of the bitmaps in the file you can update it with your changes and the app will fix up the CRC for you. The modified file can then be flashed to your Tx as usual - obviously use a lib file that matches your Tx's firmware

Note: This app is provided "as-is" and with no warranty. If it bricks your Tx then I am not responsible. That said, it really shouldn't since all we are doing is changing the contents of the bitmaps.

Happy Hacking!

Edit: Update v0.2 tool can be found here

Adds support for import/export of strings. Strings will be extracted to a .rtf file

European languages, make sure your editor handles UTF-7
Chinese, make sure your editor handles Bigendian Unicode

For some reason the Chinese strings don't display correctly.

Edit: Update v0.2A tool can be found here
Majic1 is offline Find More Posts by Majic1
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:31 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majic1 View Post
When I click on the link to get the editor, it takes me to a "justhost.com" search page? What's up with that? and how do I get the editor?
http://www.deviationtx.com should be there.
SadSack is online now Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Well, I had a few minutes of free time, so I hooked up the backlight on the Devo10, as well as fixing the button pins so that all buttons are now available.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:39 PM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
Well, I had a few minutes of free time, so I hooked up the backlight on the Devo10, as well as fixing the button pins so that all buttons are now available.
Damn!!! I'm a lousy programmer

I try to compile your source for Devo10, but it complains exit, kill and get_pid as undefined reference. Any idea?
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Damn!!! I'm a lousy programmer

I try to compile your source for Devo10, but it complains exit, kill and get_pid as undefined reference. Any idea?
I got that too when I used the wrong toolchain.

What platform are you compiling on?

There are instructions for Mac, Windows and Linux, each have been tested to give clean builds if followed
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:29 PM
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
I got that too when I used the wrong toolchain.

What platform are you compiling on?

There are instructions for Mac, Windows and Linux, each have been tested to give clean builds if followed
I'm using arm-none-eabi- on Linux, I'll try to google to see if I can get anything out of it. BTW, did you disassemble your TX already since you know which GPIO pin the backlight uses? I'll proceed to assume that the LCD uses FSMC and try my existing code again after I get the compilation done.
Sorry for all the stupid questions
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
I'm using arm-none-eabi- on Linux, I'll try to google to see if I can get anything out of it.
'arm-none-eabi' isn't sufficient. You need to have newlibc compiled with the proper patches. On linux, you need to follow the instructions in the README to build the summon-arm-toolchain. You might be able to use YAGARTO, but I've only used it on Windows. the errors you are getting are because the unwinding code is still in newlibc/gcc summon-arm removes that code as part of the build process.
Last edited by PhracturedBlue; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
BTW, did you disassemble your TX already since you know which GPIO pin the backlight uses? I'll proceed to assume that the LCD uses FSMC and try my existing code again after I get the compilation done.
Nope, But I found some pictures of the circuit board, aligned them and printed them out 2-sided so I have a 'paper circuit board'. From this I was able to determine that FSMC is used. Does the Devo 10 have a voltage sensor? In my analysis so far, I haven't found one. I only see the 6 analog channels hooked up to analog inputs so far.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Nope, But I found some pictures of the circuit board, aligned them and printed them out 2-sided so I have a 'paper circuit board'. From this I was able to determine that FSMC is used. Does the Devo 10 have a voltage sensor? In my analysis so far, I haven't found one. I only see the 6 analog channels hooked up to analog inputs so far.
I have no idea. I did not disassemble the TX. Can you share the circuit board picture here?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
'arm-none-eabi' isn't sufficient. You need to have newlibc compiled with the proper patches. On linux, you need to follow the instructions in the README to build the summon-arm-toolchain. You might be able to use YAGARTO, but I've only used it on Windows. the errors you are getting are because the unwinding code is still in newlibc/gcc summon-arm removes that code as part of the build process.
I did use summon-arm-toolchain to get the arm-none-eabi- cross compiler, my build works for the Devo8 repository, failed for the Devo10 ones...