HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Gektor: Thanks for the custom library for the 8S.
I just got my 8S today and after loading your updated library, it looks so much better. Thanks!
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 04:46 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
166 Posts
Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemi View Post
Gektor: Thanks for the custom library for the 8S.
I just got my 8S today and after loading your updated library, it looks so much better. Thanks!
Cool, you are the first person who told me, he or she have installed my GDevention Library successfully. Thank you for your comment, it makes me feel good

But hey, not only that, you actuelly bought the Devo 8S because of the availability of a better Library instead of the goofy, oversaturated, disturbing sky picture.

I think this shows clearly, that User Interface matters! It's a very important thing for me
gektor is offline Find More Posts by gektor
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Is the hardware maxed out at 100mw output? Or can it be told to output a little higher? Even if it's say... 120mw :P
I need to run some additional SPI logs to verify. However, the Power AMP has nominal 20dB of gain. Which means that at 0dbM input from the CYRF chip you'd have ~20dBm output (= 100mW). the next step up (last step) for the CYRF chip is 4dBm output which would translate to an ideal 24dBm (=250mW) however, efficiency drops off really quickly above 20dBm output, so my guess is that we could only get <=22dBm which is 150mW.

So, depending on configuration, there may be one more step available that would boost output. I need to log the Devo firmware to make sure they aren't already using it. Pushing the amp at the upper limit will draw a lot more power and may introduce an unacceptable SNR
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Jul 24, 2012, 06:46 AM
No, it's the same plane ...
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Bochum
Joined Jul 2010
149 Posts
As i see in this thread you all use a DEVO tx to operate your machines, but i want to use my multiplex tx to fly both, walkera and spektrum models.

So my question, would it be possible to get both protocolls implemented in an arduino or something like that instead of using the DEVO hardware?
Using PPM-In from trainer-port of any tx and let's say one toggle switch for selecting the protocoll to use? A transmitter module could be purchuased from here: http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=11530 and will also be connected to the arduino ...

best regards
Jens

PS: Or is there a project already doing this?
jjk77 is offline Find More Posts by jjk77
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:00 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk77 View Post
As i see in this thread you all use a DEVO tx to operate your machines, but i want to use my multiplex tx to fly both, walkera and spektrum models.

So my question, would it be possible to get both protocolls implemented in an arduino or something like that instead of using the DEVO hardware?
DEVO hardware is very simple. It is easy to build exactly the same hardware almost from scratch. Of course you may want to use another MCU. There are boards similar to Arduino using ARM MCUs compatible with the one used in DEVO.
agalakhov is offline Find More Posts by agalakhov
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk77 View Post

Using PPM-In from trainer-port of any tx and let's say one toggle switch for selecting the protocoll to use? A transmitter module could be purchuased from here: http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...ducts_id=11530 and will also be connected to the arduino ...

best regards
Jens

PS: Or is there a project already doing this?
I think hammer22 is (or was) selling a CYRF6936 based PPM->DSM2 module. His module should be upgradeable to support Walkera, and I know he has the necessary logs to implement it.
Alternatively, the Deviation src code contains thorough documentation and code that implements the Walkera and DSM2 protocols is open-source, and should be easy to port to the arduino, especially if you use the module you listed. But that assumes you have the requisite programming knowledge. If you use the code, I'd ask that you respect the GPL license and open-source your work. Reimplementing from the documentation bears no such restriction.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
No, it's the same plane ...
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Bochum
Joined Jul 2010
149 Posts
Ah, thats cool, i have posted a request to his thread. Let's see. Thanks a lot PhracturedBlue
jjk77 is offline Find More Posts by jjk77
Old Jul 25, 2012, 03:57 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,766 Posts
+1 Arduino base module

But would it be an idea to develop module which has more than 1 Transmitter and later down the road mates up with Devo. It can use simple PPM input so anyone could use it but also have serial interface or something. Which would give Devo full control ?
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
+1 Arduino base module

But would it be an idea to develop module which has more than 1 Transmitter and later down the road mates up with Devo. It can use simple PPM input so anyone could use it but also have serial interface or something. Which would give Devo full control ?
Sure, but it isn't interesting to me. With the Devo, you have an easily swappable module. If i do anything like this, I'll design a module that can replace the existing module and includes the 4 common chips (or even better an SDR). Don't get your hopes up though.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,766 Posts
Thats the down side, if you don't do it not going to happen.

I'm resigned to the fact at some point I'll sell my 12FG for 8S. Just FG's got things i like using and to try them out on my micro-heli's. I've waited few years for a futaba>walkera module and you've gone well past that. Can't wait till Release Day! You getting scared ?
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:47 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
Thats the down side, if you don't do it not going to happen.
Your best bet here is hammer22's module, as it should be able to do futaba->walkera if he implements the protocol. A truly universal module is something that will require (somewhat) more work. The easiest solution will be to buy $5 modules from china for the various chips, and then shove them all in the Devo8 case. That could be done with only a tiny bit of very-easy soldering (one wire per module on an easy to hit solder-pad). That will be the route I initially support once I get there.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Wow
Such a dream
No more messing around with various radios
All unified in a single universal easy to handle multiprotocol unit

Don 't wake me up please
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:57 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
You know once this firmware is complete it's going to be more revolutionary then the 9x...
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:03 PM
United States, NH, Exeter
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
Yes,
I would like to add the Walkera protocol to my module but I will take some time before I can dig into it. I also plan on adding a bootloader so that module firmware updates can be done in the field and expand the number of PPM channels up to 12. I would also like to add support for the hi-speed version of DSMX (11ms frame rate). I can't give anyone a time frame yet. Its tough balancing work, family/kids and a love for this hobby!
hammer22 is offline Find More Posts by hammer22
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:13 PM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
PB,
Do you think that the spi_flash.c should be located in a more common location? I don't think that the SPI flash protocol applies to only Devo8. This made me confused for a while when reading the code.
Please correct me if I made a wrong assumption.
Thanks.
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85