SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
Here is the deviation firmware binding to a Nine-Eagles Solo-Pro 100 (It also binds to the SP125)
https://vimeo.com/45197356

I have a little more work to do on this one to fully document the protocol (I want to figure out the calculation of the SOP code and CRC and I'm about half-way there now). I don't have any more receivers that are compatible with the CYRF6936 at the moment, so I'll go back to working on the firmware capabilities for a while once I'm done with this one.
Great indeed! Will it also bind with my Nine Eagles Solo V1 Coaxial?
gektor is online now Find More Posts by gektor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemi View Post
Sounds like an 8/8S is the way to go, at least for initial support?
There is no doubt that the 8/8s will be supported 1st. If the difference in price is more than $10, I'd buy the 8 + the 8->8s upgrade module.
Some other folks have expressed interest in working on the 10 and 12, but no progress has been made, and I don't have any idea when something will be ready for any other radio. I spend a lot more time working on the GUI then capabilities, so I expect the development of alternate interfaces for those radios to take quite a bit of effort.
Quote:
Is there any way others without programming skills, like myself can help out, like in a small $ donation? PhracturedBlue ?
I have no interest in donations, myself. Taking money makes me feel like I am being paid, and that means that there are expectations for what I deliver. I am much happier working on this as a hobby, and I have no need for any additional support.

However, once I do the 1st alpha release, I'll be interested in feedback from people playing with it in the emulator to see how the interface works, and finding the bugs so that it is reliable once installed on the radio. That time is steadily getting closer, but there is still a lot of work to do.

We'll also be looking for help generating the bitmaps and whatnot, since the Deviation firmware is designed to be easily theme-able.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gektor View Post
Great indeed! Will it also bind with my Nine Eagles Solo V1 Coaxial?
I don't believe so. I think all the 3/4 channel nine-eagles helis use the nrf 24l01 chipset which is very likely not compatible with theDevo8 module. Only models that are listed as supporting the J6Pro will be supported with the work I've done so far
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Good morning, PhracturedBlue!
There are news over here...

FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:24 PM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
There is no doubt that the 8/8s will be supported 1st. If the difference in price is more than $10, I'd buy the 8 + the 8->8s upgrade module.
Some other folks have expressed interest in working on the 10 and 12, but no progress has been made, and I don't have any idea when something will be ready for any other radio. I spend a lot more time working on the GUI then capabilities, so I expect the development of alternate interfaces for those radios to take quite a bit of effort.

I have no interest in donations, myself. Taking money makes me feel like I am being paid, and that means that there are expectations for what I deliver. I am much happier working on this as a hobby, and I have no need for any additional support.

However, once I do the 1st alpha release, I'll be interested in feedback from people playing with it in the emulator to see how the interface works, and finding the bugs so that it is reliable once installed on the radio. That time is steadily getting closer, but there is still a lot of work to do.

We'll also be looking for help generating the bitmaps and whatnot, since the Deviation firmware is designed to be easily theme-able.
Hi PB,

Yes, no progress so far on Devo10 yet. I still need to go through all your codes and know what you're doing first (doing it now, but as day job becomes day and night job, progress is slow). I wouldn't promise anything at all, but I do am reading the Devo8's Deviation code. That's all I can say.
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:24 PM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
Good morning, PhracturedBlue!
There are news over here...

Where "here"? :P
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:10 AM
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne West
Joined Jun 2012
16 Posts
DEVO 12s Black Skin

WOW S>>> HOT , , What a great Skin for the DEVO 12/s I am so happy now , it looks really Nice and it suits the Gunmetal Case ... Thanks Heaps Onceafly
Paiste2002 is offline Find More Posts by Paiste2002
Last edited by Paiste2002; Jul 20, 2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:45 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
172 Posts
New hot GDevention Library / Custom Skin for your Devo 8S

When I first received my new Devo 8S I thought: wow, this is the nicest Transmitter I've ever seen! It looks great with it's slightly brown gunmetal finish and the orange labels - and a big Screen with the same gunmetal mirror-look - WOW!

And then I've put some Batteries in it and turned it on... What the?! That goofy blue Graphics everywhere! The beautiful Devo 8S was almost unusable in terms of Contrast and Readability. What an awful User Experience (UX)! Listen, they've put their Interface above a full Color Picture of a Landscape. Walkera, are you serious?

Being an UX-Activist, I've started to search the whole Internet: there must be someone on this damn Planet who has hacked the Firmware! I've found this thread and FDR_ with his much more usable Library (see http://rc.fdr.hu/walkera.php and http://rc.fdr.hu/devo.php#cust_lib).

I've used FDR's Library for some Weeks and then decided to make my own. Not because his Library was bad, but, as I now know, FDR owns a Devo 8, which has a silver finish. His blue Background and buttons match the silver casing of the Devo8 quite well, but not my Devo8S.

FDR, being a very nice Person, provided me with some Knowledge and Instruments. I took his Library and spent two Weeks tweaking it after Work. You know, changing something, compiling, uploading to the Tx, testing...

And now, after 39 Iterations, the Time has come: I release my Devo 8S GDevention (or G-Devention, or Gektor Devention whatsoever) Library / custom Skin for your Pleasure and Amusement.

GDevention features Improved Readability and increased Usabilty in every Menu. Not only the background was changed, many small tweaks ensure a better User Experience for whole User Interface!

My library works perfectly with my Devo 8S with the newest 100mW original Walkera Firmware installed (012-05-16 DEVO 8S 100mw release v0.8Av0.0.5). It will work with Devo 8 too. Please note though, that you update your Radio at your own risk.

You can download the Gektor GDevention dfu Library V1.39 right here (1,6 Mb).

To update the library, please follow the Library-Part of the Update Instructions (nicely put together by Helipal.com), or the Instructions which can be found somewhere at Walkera's Website.

Below, you can see some Screenshots of the original goofy Library vs. GDevention.

Original by Walkera

GDevention by Gektor

Feel free to comment, make Feature Requests and tell me how to improve the GDevention Library!

Cheers,
Gektor

P.S. Can you find the Ladybird in the Interface (not the one on the startup Picture and not on one of the Screenshots)?
Last edited by gektor; Jul 23, 2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Language
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:47 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,871 Posts
That's a very nice piece of work... did you contact Walkera and show them what you've done?
You never know you might get a side job with them!
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Gektor: Very nice !

That's it.... I'm buying a Devo 8S today.
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:59 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paiste2002 View Post
WOW S>>> HOT , , What a great Skin for the DEVO 12/s I am so happy now , it looks really Nice and it suits the Gunmetal Case ... Thanks Heaps Onceafly
You are welcome
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Jul 21, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jul 2011
17 Posts
I couldn't pass up the bundle deal from HelliDirect, so I should have a Devo 8 soon.

I heard mention of high-res pictures of the PC board. If those are available, can someone point me to them?

Thanks!
webbbn is offline Find More Posts by webbbn
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Thank you, it's much better than the original.

Although this image was nice, but completely useless when there was nothing really to see. I do not understand how there could someone give or not give a choice for something so povedenějšího color.
Yesterday it turned ajsem and I thought that can not even model name :-)

Now it's just absolutely beautiful to see. :

Are there any updates?
Honza_IT is offline Find More Posts by Honza_IT
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:27 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza_IT View Post
Thank you, it's much better than the original.

Now it's just absolutely beautiful to see

Are there any updates?
Thank you!

What kind of update would you like to see?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Jul 2008
204 Posts
Awesome work by PhracturedBlue and anyone else helping out with the firmware!

Would be great to one day fly DSM2 models and my old Walkera 4#3b with a single Devo TX

(Might have to take a look at the code myself... haven't done anything so low-level recently, but I'm an experienced game developer - maybe there's something I could help out with on the UI/graphical side of things? Mostly a matter of finding time...)
bluescrn is offline Find More Posts by bluescrn