HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Using 12 channels on the 8 shouldn't be much of a problem... If you count the 2 analog sticks, 6 switches, and 2 aux trims you have 12 control points right there... not to mention you could have on screen controls, use mixing to make a switch switch between what channel another switch is controlling, etc.
I have never, ever even used the trim switches for anything.

What would be cool is if you could use the trims as sliders for things like moving parts on a scale model. e.g. gun turrets etc.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:36 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I have never, ever even used the trim switches for anything.

What would be cool is if you could use the trims as sliders for things like moving parts on a scale model. e.g. gun turrets etc.
I have a trim tab assigned to my FPV camera PAN servo for fine tuning it, however it really could be used for a lot of things... The devo already supports how many steps a single trim push up or down will adjust it, so you could theoretically make a trim tab a nth position switch, I.E. if the step number is great enough you could make a 3, 5, etc etc pos. switch by making it so that one click is a 3rd/5th/etc of the entire range, I can think of multiple good uses for this... flaps, camera pan/tilt, soft 3way switch, even throttle :P.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:15 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,870 Posts
looks like the only limitation would be the number of channels the rx supports ..
personally i can't wait for the firmware to get released , really looking forward to being able to control other rx's with the Devo..
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:26 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abliveira View Post
Rc711 is now selling the Devo 7E, and there's a photo:

It's just a new transmitter to the "mini series", a mix between the Devo 6S with Devo 10. Theres no colorful lcd, i think that this explains why it have 30 model memory.
http://www.rc711.com/shop/walkera-de...er-p-6518.html
Here's my review of it... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1692459
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:17 AM
Malaysia, Penang, Bayan Lepas
Joined Apr 2010
460 Posts
Hi PB,

I just got my Devo10, but my store shipped me a 10mw version, I'm waiting for him to replace 100mw for me, so I can't tear up the Devo10 to see the SPI flash inside (warranty ). Do you have any idea what SPI flash it uses? I believe that's the first thing I'll need to do to port over your Devo8 version (since they're using different SPI flash)

Thanks.
thloh85 is offline Find More Posts by thloh85
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thloh85 View Post
Hi PB,

I just got my Devo10, but my store shipped me a 10mw version, I'm waiting for him to replace 100mw for me, so I can't tear up the Devo10 to see the SPI flash inside (warranty ). Do you have any idea what SPI flash it uses? I believe that's the first thing I'll need to do to port over your Devo8 version (since they're using different SPI flash)

Thanks.
It uses a 2MB flash, probably a SST25VF016B...
You could easily turn your 10mW transmitter into 100mW one, because it is only a sw limitation...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
It uses a 2MB flash, probably a SST25VF016B...
You could easily turn your 10mW transmitter into 100mW one, because it is only a sw limitation...
It will be helpful to get high-res pics of the motherboard. It is very likely that the flash uses an identical interface. However, a few of the routines I've written will need to be tweaked, since I block-out the bootloader image so that the filesystem doesn't make the bootloader look ugly. Sicne the Devo10 likely has no bootloader image, you won't need that hack.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
172 Posts
Telemetry-Sensitivity

I'm asking myself: why Walkera won't make more of their telemetry functionality?

Let's take Walkera QR Ladybird as an Example.

As the power getting lower, the torque and speed of the motors will decrease. Because there is no collective pitch and everything's controlled through the speed of the motors, controls (ecpecially lift) will change greatly with decreasing power.

How? Putting the throttle stick to a position slightly below the middle would crash the Ladybird against the ceiling at 4,2 Volt. At 3,8 Volt Ladybird will hover at exactly the same stick position.

Now, we have the Volt-Reading in our Tx, why can't we link it to the throttle curve?

Yes, this is a feature suggestion

For your Interest: Ladybird with an orientation helper:
gektor is offline Find More Posts by gektor
Old Jul 16, 2012, 03:23 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,872 Posts
I prefer to know how much power is remaining by throttle stick position rather than have the reality hidden from me. Makes it easier to guess when the buzzer is about to go too.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:27 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2012
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I prefer to know how much power is remaining by throttle stick position rather than have the reality hidden from me. Makes it easier to guess when the buzzer is about to go too.
Good point

When flying, _I_ don't want to guess voltages, I want to fly. And this - as predictable as possible.

By the way, the low power position is not the problem. The problem is high lipo power climb rate, which is already quite high at 30% stick. This is sometimes too fast and less controllable because you can only move your stick between 5% and 30%. On lower battery power you can move it from 5% up to 100% and it won't climb as hell but will behave nicely.

This is especially important for indoor flying.

The function suggested by me would perhaps turn on adaptive dual rate (or something... ) for the throttle when the power is high and reduce the ammout of correction when the power levels.

And for the rest: multilevel alarm would be OK. Like small beep at one voltage, louder beep at the lower one and even louder beeps at critical voltage.
gektor is offline Find More Posts by gektor
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,209 Posts
Replacement switches arrived, they are actual Futaba switches (in bags with a Futaba logo). They are exact replacements for the stock switches same exact size the only difference being that they are grey rather than red. Switch throw feels better than the originals and they don't wiggle as much. I think they are worth the extra $1.50 over the radio shack switch (which seems to be the exact same one as the stock switches).
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gektor View Post
The function suggested by me would perhaps turn on adaptive dual rate (or something... ) for the throttle when the power is high and reduce the ammout of correction when the power levels.
I don't have telemetry coded yet, but this is the sort of thing we could handle with virtual-channels. Define a virtual switch at a specific voltage (or multiple switches at multiple voltages) and switch to a different curve when the voltage drops below the specified value. When we're that far along, its the kind of thing that should be straight-forward to support for those who want it.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,209 Posts
Futaba switches are a perfect fit. They're also much better than the stock switches. I managed to get all the switches in upside down the first time and had to flip them (just turn them over, no need to redo the wiring)

If you are concerned about aesthetics I'd recommend just getting an anodized switch nut upgrade kit. I managed to chew up the nuts slightly and put a few minor scratches in the (removable) metal panel behind the switches. Before I do the other side to complete the upgrade I'm going to order these.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...l-Red-8-JR-12X

The insulation on the wires melts very easily and will wick solder if you apply heat for too long. Thankfully this only happened once and was corrected by taking a mm off the end of the wire and re soldering. If you were to mess it up the plugs are standard 1.5mm pitch micro connectors (I think) so you could just remove the pin and attached wire and replace it with one from another. Or alternatively you could just fix it the ghetto way and splice it and put some heat shrink tubing over it (careful with shrinking it the insulation melts *very* easily) I recommend removing all three switches on a side and unplugging the whole thing from the board and then using hobby hands to hold the new switch and the wire in place and solder starting from the top tab and moving down.

After soldering I put some heat shrink tubing over each solder joint on the tabs. Not really needed but tiny wires like that make me nervous with my huge clumsy bear claws that I'm expected to use for hands.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jul 16, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
In case folks aren't following the project in the other thread, I've just about wrapped up the implementation of the WK2801/2601/2401 protocols into the Deviation firmware. There is still a lot of testing to do, but we're about 90% of the way there (from a protocol standpoint) to supporting the old protocols on a Devo.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:18 PM
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
1,870 Posts
wow you really no your stuff cause its only been a couple of days when you started the 2801 project...

very nice and please keep us posted on the progress ...

great work your doing, myself and others really thank you for your efforts..
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty