HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer22 View Post
rcH4x0r,
I don't think anything bad will happen. If your radio has the same RF board as the rest of the DEVO radios, then you probably just increased the TX power to 100mW. Unless there is some internal identifier that the firmware can read, perhaps something in the FLASH memory. I'd be interested in seeing what is sent to register 03h in the CYRF6936. That's the register that controls the RF output power.
I don't think anything bad will happen, I am interested in how the sw deals with deing on the wrong HW.

I want to compare bootloader dumps because I am curious to see if there is any "model info" that may be used to identify 10 or 100mW models (and develop a patch to remove the check )

The Tx has a number of power settings, I want to find the thing that limits the range of available power settings (see above)
rcH4x0r is offline Find More Posts by rcH4x0r
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
rcH4x0r,
I don't think anything bad will happen. If your radio has the same RF board as the rest of the DEVO radios, then you probably just increased the TX power to 100mW. Unless there is some internal identifier that the firmware can read, perhaps something in the FLASH memory. I'd be interested in seeing what is sent to register 03h in the CYRF6936. That's the register that controls the RF output power.
Glad to see you here! So, you are still interested in this project...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
I suppose the devo 7 is out of the question for all of this?
There is no (known) reason we can't support the DEVO-7, though the firmware would likely be more limited. But right now the priority will be in getting things working with the DEVO-8, and then we'll move on from there
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:46 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Ok since most of the people in here are hardware gurus I must ask this question...

The 1 watt amp I am using on my Devo 8 works great, however it steps all over my 1.280Ghz video feed, with static image I have to walk nearly 30 to 40 feet away from the vRX with 2 walls in the way to get the interference lines to even start going away, with a video feed I can turn myself around and use my body as a shield and get rid of the lines, but at the same time I know once my plane gets more then 40 feet away from me (though still 2 walls in the middle on this ground test) that the interference will start stepping on the video again...

So my question is what can I do to resolve my interference issue?
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:22 PM
United States, NH, Exeter
Joined Oct 2010
99 Posts
NorCalMatCat,
Not to distract from the topic of this tread but it sounds like your 1W 2.4Ghz amp is overpowering the video receivers front end circuitry. Think about 2 people in a room trying to have a conversation when there is a blaring radio in the room with them. Move the radio to a different room and they can hear again. Putting distance between the video RX and the 2.4Ghz TX is the best solution and its free. Of course cutting the 2.4Ghz TX power back to a more reasonable level would also help. I would not recommend using 2.4Ghz for FPV control of a plane. Your better off with 433Mhz or even 72Mhz both of which will pass through objects.
hammer22 is offline Find More Posts by hammer22
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:41 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
NorCalMatCat,
Not to distract from the topic of this tread but it sounds like your 1W 2.4Ghz amp is overpowering the video receivers front end circuitry. Think about 2 people in a room trying to have a conversation when there is a blaring radio in the room with them. Move the radio to a different room and they can hear again. Putting distance between the video RX and the 2.4Ghz TX is the best solution and its free. Of course cutting the 2.4Ghz TX power back to a more reasonable level would also help. I would not recommend using 2.4Ghz for FPV control of a plane. Your better off with 433Mhz or even 72Mhz both of which will pass through objects.
Yeah when I have an extra $300 to $400 I plan on going 433, but a 2.4Ghz amp is only $50 so it's much more affordable. I understand the distance aspect and RF interference, but 30 to 40 feet away and STILL showing over static through 2 walls... Interestingly it does not effect my WIFI at all :P. There must be a solution to getting them to cooperate a little closer to each other, currently I can set it up about 5 to 6 feet apart, but I am also exposing a composite video cable which could pick up some stray RF too... Bah this is so puzzling... maybe a low pass filter on the vRX?
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Here is what I see as a list of things that need to be done at this moment:

Full support for utilizing the screen as well as the touch
Full support for all inputs (buttons, switches, sticks, etc)
Sound Controller
All code needed to actually transmit something

Features That Could Be Handy

The radio supports rx as well in order to do wireless copies, what technology is this using? Is it possible to make the radio WIFI capable and wireless hook up to a network? Or is it using some proprietary method not easily modified for other uses?

SD card support is nice but there is no hardware for one unless you use a USB stick...
I agree with rcH4x0r I think everything has a basic start, finish what is primary.
I think to associate channels mixer is a big step as Hitec A9 and ER9x.
and the second would be that was the beginning of this topic, use DSSS + Spektrum and JR DSM2,
So would have an infinite range of RX market.
More we can not forget I must own the facility DEVO 8.
Mr Trevisan is offline Find More Posts by Mr Trevisan
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcH4x0r View Post
Hmm, seems the 100mW code runs on mine just fine, I guess I need a 10mW dump. What _does_ happen if you put 100mW FW on a 10mW Tx? Anybody know?
No problem to flash it in but as soon as you reboot it displays a Wrong Version! message. The next step is to turn off and reflash back to 10mW version.
thwaitm is online now Find More Posts by thwaitm
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
No problem to flash it in but as soon as you reboot it displays a Wrong Version! message. The next step is to turn off and reflash back to 10mW version.
If you could provide the precise message, that would be helpful in letting us figure out what it is doing.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:14 PM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
If you could provide the precise message, that would be helpful in letting us figure out what it is doing.
I don't have my TX nearby (working) but if you check the library for a string which says Wrong Version! or very similar that will be the one. If you can't find or there are multiple then PM me and I'll take a pic tonight.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Here is my most-recent code dump.
It uses libopencm3 which allows us to distribute fewer files and will help with portability.
This code supports:
Power switch
the button matrix
the lcd screen and backlight (but not touch)
the analog sticks

It does not yet support:
spi flash
touch-screen
usb
radio

the included dfu file will display button presses and mode-1 throttle position (elevator for us mode-2 folks) on the lcd screen
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwaitm View Post
I don't have my TX nearby (working) but if you check the library for a string which says Wrong Version! or very similar that will be the one. If you can't find or there are multiple then PM me and I'll take a pic tonight.
The library contains a string "Version Error!".
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:42 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,875 Posts
That must be it.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:53 AM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Well, I may dig into the string handling stuff later, maybe figure out the string encoding too I can brew up a better bootloader dumper now we know how the "security" works if you're willing

I see some discussion about the components in a possible FW. Here's my 2 penny's worth:

-GUI: The pretty stuff, timers
-Utilities - load/save model data
-Platform: Drivers for on/off chip peripherals ie ADCs, pots, touchscreen, LCD, backlight, CYRF, flash etc etc

Radio Resource (RR) manager: does initial scan to select channels for normal mode (unacked), establishes/negotiates link with peer in Tx->Tx(acked?), Scans for Rx in Rx->Tx(unacked)

Then a "stack" of software modules with clean interfaces, that way we can swap them in & out

-Control: Takes input from joysticks/switches/selected mixer(s) etc. Outputs position data for each channel. Also triggers for GUI (start / stop timer)
-Radio Link (RL): Speaks the protocol (Not just Tx->Rx but Tx->Tx and Rx->Tx)
-PHY: Talks to the radio chip. Data from Radio Link
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
A small contribution from me
-USART1 init'ed at 115K2 8N1
-printf on USART1 from LPCUSB project
-SPI Initialised and can read Flash chip ID

I want to start looking at the CYRF chip next....

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59258955/devo8.tar.gz

Edit: Scanner with DMS2 Tx running in the same room...

Last edited by rcH4x0r; Apr 18, 2012 at 04:20 PM.