HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
I believe I found the controller for the Devo-8 display. It appears to be an hx8347d in 16bit parallel mode. I've got data sheets for that, but I found this too, which is a nearly identical initialization routine as used by the DEVO-8:
http://read.pudn.com/downloads170/so...416BIT.c__.htm

But I can't read Chinese. If anyone can figure out how to get the entire rar file, I'd be appreciative.

I've got a few different examples, so this isn't critical, but the more examples I can find the easier it'll be for me to get going.

Edit: I found an English translation of the site. Looks like they require payment in order to download, so I'll pass on the above.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Last edited by PhracturedBlue; Apr 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
Very interesting project you have going.
Maybe mbed.org will be of some interest for you, lots of code examples.
http://mbed.org/users/Suky/libraries...T/lo2fgu/docs/
MorTech is offline Find More Posts by MorTech
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
6 Posts
Hello, why do not you try this site ..

http://en.freesion.com/3865/4898908/23761698/ #

Will you get what you're looking for ...... has many video on youtube LCD ......
Mr Trevisan is offline Find More Posts by Mr Trevisan
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:15 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Trevisan View Post
Hello, why do not you try this site ..

http://en.freesion.com/3865/4898908/23761698/ #

Will you get what you're looking for ...... has many video on youtube LCD ......
hmmm good luck with that
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:45 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
Hi Guys,

I got a Devo 8 a little while ago, and have been following this thread for a while. I'm not a programmer type, and I'll admit that this thread got over my head quick. Since you guys have your stuff down, I hope you don't mind me asking a quick, possibly simple question.

I just tried to update my Devo 8, and I couldn't ever get the computer to recognize the tx when I connected the USB cable. I'm able to get the tx into DFU mode, as the screen changes to say something about programming and shows a USB symbol, but I don't get the typical sounds I'm used to hearing from the pc when I plug in a usb device. The tx does not show up in the computer's device manager, so I can't load drivers.

I was initially trying on my Mac running Bootcamp, then tried on my pc from work, and both computers do the same thing. I'm pretty sure my usb cable is ok, as I've used it for other things recently.

Thanks, sorry for the interruption,

Rafa
Make sure your usb cable is for data as there is some usb cable only meant for charging which only have 2 wires inside. Hope that help.
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:07 AM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAFly View Post
Make sure your usb cable is for data as there is some usb cable only meant for charging which only have 2 wires inside. Hope that help.
Thanks. Come to find out that the USB socket in the tx wasn't soldered well to the board and had popped off on one side. I got it soldered and updated last night. The connections to that tiny socket are the smallest things I've soldered to a board so far.

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2011
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa's CB100 View Post
Thanks. Come to find out that the USB socket in the tx wasn't soldered well to the board and had popped off on one side. I got it soldered and updated last night. The connections to that tiny socket are the smallest things I've soldered to a board so far.

Rafa
Great you have it sorted out
OnceAFly is offline Find More Posts by OnceAFly
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
Well it wasn't until very recently, but I found some notes that it had been added in January (along with SWD support). I built from git and used this openocd.cfg file, and it did indeed work:
Code:
source [find interface/stlink-v2.cfg]
# increase working area to 128KB
set WORKAREASIZE 0x20000
source [find target/stm32f1x_stlink.cfg]
...and be sure to configure openocd to enable the stlink interface:

./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --enable-stlink
rcH4x0r is offline Find More Posts by rcH4x0r
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcH4x0r View Post
I put together a little tool for editing the bitmaps in Walkera Devo 6, 8 & 12 after chatting to FDR_. You can find it here
Thank you so much for putting the tool together! The moment I realized that I can rid of the ugly heli icon I went nuts and spent hours on Photoshop. I've put together a "fighter jet" theme for fun. The menu's much more busy now, which ain't necessarily a good thing, but there's a cool factor to having the cockpit look.

Click here to get the DFU file
Lanzer is offline Find More Posts by Lanzer
Last edited by Lanzer; Apr 15, 2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
I know I haven't posted much in the past few days, but that doesn't mean nothing has been going on. I think a picture may help
Current status:
a) I have a tool-chain to build dfu files that i can load and execute
b) I can now control the LCD screen
c) I can control the LCD backlight and intensity
d) I can respond to the power switch

Unfortunately I can't do (b) and (d) at the same time yet. If I configure to write to the screen, then 'off' induces continuous reset. If I configure so that 'off' powers down, I can't write to the screen. There are several things going on that I need to work though, but I'm confident I'll solve the issue soon. The code is currently very cludgy, and I'm cheating a little to get the display initialized (part of why the power switch doesn't work properly), however, I can write individual pixels at any location, of any color to the screen now.

Once I've got stuff cleaned up and working satisfactorily I'll post the requisite steps needed to start work.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:48 AM
Team WarpSquad
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Jun 2011
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanzer View Post
Thank you so much for putting the tool together! The moment I realized that I can rid of the ugly heli icon I went nuts and spent hours on Photoshop. I've put together a "fighter jet" theme for fun. The menu's much more busy now, which ain't necessarily a good thing, but there's a cool factor to having the cockpit look.

Click here to get the DFU file
This is hilarious! I know exactly what you mean about 'I went nuts and spent hours on ...'

I can't imagine I'm actually going to use this theme (too much bright sunlight where I am) but awesome effort! Downloading now!

I think PB and FDR_ can call on you for the design of the new interface!!

EDIT: I now have proper heli and plank in my Dev08 on my FDR, Lanzer, thwaitm library...
thwaitm is offline Find More Posts by thwaitm
Last edited by thwaitm; Apr 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Ok, here it is. This should let anyone with a DEVO8 show 'hello world' on their screen, and the power switch should work properly.
As I'm using the standard boot-loader, there should be no risk. If anything goes wrong, power off, unplug the battery, plug back in, and enter programming mode and put your original firmware back.

This is, of course, just a technical demo; there is no support for the radio, the sticks, the buttons, the switches (other than power), or the SPI Flash (though I know how to make that, at least, work). rcH4x0r and I have been discussing starting an official project for development. Expect to hear something more soon.

Build instructions (I build on linux, so I assume you have tools like 'make' and python installed. It should be easy to build on Windows using something like CooCox, but you'll still need python to build the dfu file)

Install the ARM gcc toolchain. I used code-sourcery:
https://sourcery.mentor.com/sgpp/lit...al/release2032
unzip the code, and run 'make'
You should then be able to install the resulting dfu in the standard manner.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Going to setup a github?
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
I thought I'd test the max refresh-rate of the display. it is about 35fps. That is writing every single pixel of every frame as fast as i could....So DOOM may be a possibility, but it won't be fast

Edit: By the way, the way the display is configured gives access to 65k colors.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:09 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Lol
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways