HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Well, I know nothing of the UP-02 itself, it it is likely it is some sort of usb->serial adapter. Does it plug into the trainer port, or is there a separate port on your Devo-7 for programming? It is likely that a replacement could be designed, but it would require snooping the signals, and likely would just not be worth the effort. If you wait a couple more months, it is likely they'll be carried in the US or ebay and shipping prices will come down. Does the new firmware fix a bug you are seeing? If it were me, I'd probably just wait until I needed it to see if it becomes available cheaper elsewhere.
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:54 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
i can see its using STMicroelectronic virtual COM Port
VID_0483&PID_5740
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
i can see its using STMicroelectronic virtual COM Port
VID_0483&PID_5740
Unfortunately, that isn't very useful. Almost every single USB dongle uses a USB->Serial interface. It doesn't tell you what is coming out through the stereo plug.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:20 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
true enough. Still walkera are keen on buying off shelf solutions
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I opened up the DEvo 7 and the mini 3.5 or tdr cable that is used for updating the radio has 4 wires on the inside of the radio. They lead to a plug on the main circuit board in the Devo7 and the plug reads PC GAME. I can play Phoenix simulator with the Devo 7 using smartpropo and pppjoy. For some reason the Devo 7 comes with a mini 3.5mm or tdr cord. One male with one black conductor strip on one side of the cord and same on the other. I cannot remember is I played the Phoenix simulator with that cord or with a different cord that I have that has the 2 conductor black stripes on the cord.
If the Devo 7 has 4 wires 1 black,3white for the 3.5mm input and a usb has 4 wires. Wouldnt that help figure out how to wire it up? PLus the official update dongle has 2 black conducters or stripes(i found that out from a wiki page). 2 black stripes =3 wires. The usb has Negative,data-, data+,positive in that order. The black wire on the devo is all the way to the right of the 4 cables. This is from a beginner to electronics perspective. I would rather make it myself and have made many electronic repairs/gizmos. I dont understand what you mean by serial interface. I picture a serial adapter when i read that.

I took a voltmeter and checked which pins goto what: Number 1 pin doesnt goto anything?(i just looked at the board and it seems the number 1 in the pic does not have any trace on the circuit board. So its not connected) Also if you read on that electrical board it says WK-2801-JACK2 If that helps? I am using a 2 conductor cord for the picture, it has 2 black stripes.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
Last edited by mescalinedream; Apr 05, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:11 AM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
would you be able to follow pins back to mcu ?
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
I opened up the DEvo 7 and the mini 3.5 or tdr cable that is used for updating the radio has 4 wires on the inside of the radio. They lead to a plug on the main circuit board in the Devo7 and the plug reads PC GAME. I can play Phoenix simulator with the Devo 7 using smartpropo and pppjoy. For some reason the Devo 7 comes with a mini 3.5mm or tdr cord. One male with one black conductor strip on one side of the cord and same on the other. I cannot remember is I played the Phoenix simulator with that cord or with a different cord that I have that has the 2 conductor black stripes on the cord.
If the Devo 7 has 4 wires 1 black,3white for the 3.5mm input and a usb has 4 wires. Wouldnt that help figure out how to wire it up? PLus the official update dongle has 2 black conducters or stripes(i found that out from a wiki page). 2 black stripes =3 wires. The usb has Negative,data-, data+,positive in that order. The black wire on the devo is all the way to the right of the 4 cables. This is from a beginner to electronics perspective. I would rather make it myself and have made many electronic repairs/gizmos. I dont understand what you mean by serial interface. I picture a serial adapter when i read that.
USB dongles like this usually are designed in one of only a couple of ways. By far the most common is to have a small microcontroller (think avr or pic or equivalent). It used to be that these devices didin't have embedded USB support, and so manufacturers would add an FTDI usb->serial chip and communicate via the USART. As time went on, most microcontroller manufacturers added direct USB support, but it turns out that the easiest way to interface with these is still to configure the USB portion to look like a usb->serial port and communicate with it like a virtual USART. So when you see that a dongle provides a COM port interface, it only tells you how windows communicates with the dongle, but not how the dongle communicates with whatever is on the other end (a Tx in this case). You need to know what the code in the uC embedded in dongle is doing. It is always possible that it is a straight USB->Serial converter and the output is serial data (3-pins would probvably be tx, rx, gnd). Or it could use an SPI interface though that usually requires 4 pins: CS, CLK, Data, Gnd. Or it could use something else. It may be possible to use an existing RC Simulator dongle, but even here, many of them have proprietary interfaces.

Note that 4-wires going to a stereo-jack is typical if one is used to detect the plug being inserted.

While others may have better ideas, the options I see for building your own all involve:
1) hope the cable is just USB->Serial and connected to the USART. tracing the leads on the DEVO7 could probably confirm this. In that case, having a cable, and a USB snooper installed on the Windows machine would be enough
or
2) if there is an embedded uC, use a logic-analyzer on the stereo-jack, a USB sniffer on the Windows host, and trying to reverse engineer the protocol
or
3) dumping the bootloader from the DEVO7 (like we're trying to do with the DEVO8) and trying to figure out the protocol from there.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
I added a pic with pinout here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=260
Old Apr 05, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Looks like a fairly generic USB CDC (serial port) adapter.

This sucks, still no Devo8, I'm missing out on all the fun!
rcH4x0r is offline Find More Posts by rcH4x0r
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcH4x0r View Post
Looks like a fairly generic USB CDC (serial port) adapter.

This sucks, still no Devo8, I'm missing out on all the fun!
I wish you had yours too...'cause I'm learning that I've got a lot to learn before I'm competent at working with this thing. Oh well, I'll soldier on. In a previous post you mentioned the address that loads the images from the serial-flash. How did you identify that area? I was thinking that rather than my current approach, i may have more luck finding a known entry point where I know everything is up and running, and adding a hook to call a subroutine that writes something to SPIFlash and then returns to the regularly scheduled program. That way I could have more confidence that all state was setup properly and wouldn't have to worry about initialization.
Ideally, I could even find and use the same SPI routines that they already use to store data in the SPI.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
FDR_ provided the crucial clue. The files have a "magic" header (DV08) and it's reasonable to assume that the code checks for that magic. As it happens the magic only occurs in a few places....

Similarly you can search for the base address of different IP blocks to find code that operates on them. I suspect that the bootloader initialises the SPI interface and all we is the copy loop

I suggest you hijack the writemodeldata function (8027E3C if we load at 8004000) and use that to copy the bootloader to SPI flash. That way we can run the hack code & use DFU to read back the SPI. It's a pretty simple interface (length, address/model idx & source buffer)

I will have some time this weekend so maybe I can help brew up some code... Im flying blind tho since I dont have the HW (meh, lousy postal service)
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcH4x0r View Post
I suggest you hijack the writemodeldata function (8027E3C if we load at 8004000) and use that to copy the bootloader to SPI flash. That way we can run the hack code & use DFU to read back the SPI. It's a pretty simple interface (length, address/model idx & source buffer)
Which firmware are you using (can you send the checksum so I can verify I'm on the right one?) It probably makes sense for us to work on the same firmware so we can compare notes. I had moved to the 0.7B fw: DEVO-8 Fw v0.7B.dfu, but I'll use whatever you've been looking at so we can more easily share notes.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
So should i wire up a usb to this 3.5mm adapter? Like I said, I can play phoenix sim with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable using pppjoy and smartpropo software. I dont need the sim dongle 3.5mm to usb that walkera says I need to play a sim.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mescalinedream View Post
So should i wire up a usb to this 3.5mm adapter? Like I said, I can play phoenix sim with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable using pppjoy and smartpropo software. I dont need the sim dongle 3.5mm to usb that walkera says I need to play a sim.
I wouldn't do that. USB uses 5V. the walkera Tx are all built around a 3.3V system. You definitely need to ensure that the voltages are ok, otherwise you could break something.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Jun 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
Which firmware are you using (can you send the checksum so I can verify I'm on the right one?) It probably makes sense for us to work on the same firmware so we can compare notes. I had moved to the 0.7B fw: DEVO-8 Fw v0.7B.dfu, but I'll use whatever you've been looking at so we can more easily share notes.
This is 0.6B, Devo8S (MD5sum CB64C0CA7F992D051D9F30EA10C1F172). Have a look in the binary for 0x44, 0x56, 030, 0x38

I will do some more detailed analysis of the code tomorrow but it's bedtime here in Europe...