HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:22 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Thanks guys,

I never followed the link to the web site, so did not see the bit about exchanging the modules

FrSky uses the same TI chipset I think?
Yeah, CC2500, dunno if it's the same with CC2520
sbstnp is online now Find More Posts by sbstnp
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
Thanks guys,

I never followed the link to the web site, so did not see the bit about exchanging the modules

FrSky uses the same TI chipset I think?
Frsky uses the CC2500. This seems to be the CC2520 which is not compatible
PhracturedBlue is offline Find More Posts by PhracturedBlue
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:47 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
To be honest FrSky is much more interesting for me, as one can buy receivers at very decent prices and the protocol looks all right.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbstnp View Post
To be honest FrSky is much more interesting for me, as one can buy receivers at very decent prices and the protocol looks all right.
I almost have FrSky 1-way working now. 2-way should be easier as it is better documented. My problem is that I'm not sure it is possible to buy a plug-in module with equivalent range to the DHT. So it may be better to just connect the DHT module to the Devo Tx and use PPM to control it.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:48 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
I almost have FrSky 1-way working now. 2-way should be easier as it is better documented. My problem is that I'm not sure it is possible to buy a plug-in module with equivalent range to the DHT. So it may be better to just connect the DHT module to the Devo Tx and use PPM to control it.
I don't know about others, but I have only micros, so long range is not interesting for me atm and a module with 50-60-100m will be enough. But that's just me.

Do you intend to have a SPI based module supported as well? I've looked around and found on aliexpress a module with PA + LNA that looked ok (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CC250...359941652.html). Unfortunately I can't order it as they only ship EMS($60) or DHl($117),

They state the range is 'over 800m'. What do you think?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:22 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
Quote:
I don't know about others, but I have only micros, so long range is not interesting for me atm and a module with 50-60-100m will be enough. But that's just me.

Do you intend to have a SPI based module supported as well? I've looked around and found on aliexpress a module with PA + LNA that looked ok (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/CC250...359941652.html). Unfortunately I can't order it as they only ship EMS($60) or DHl($117),

Does that look the same http://www.electrodragon.com/?produc...s-module-palna
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
682 Posts
Quote:

Yes, that is the module I'm working with (well, I have that one, but am currently using one without a PA for testing). I assume you can't get China Post to your location?

Once I have things working, I could probably order one and ship it to you. My shipping cost to Romania is only $1.25 according to the USPS. It'd take a good long time to get from China to here to Romania, but it'd be pretty cheap.

FYI, my current plan for a 'universal' DIY type of converter would be something like this: I'd like to build a small circuit board using an analog mux that can take any SPI module (up to 8 of them)..This is what I'm using as my prototype setup today. It would just have pin headers, so you'd need to do all the wiring from the module to the board. It would have SPI in, but socket for something like a Teensy3 that would let it optionally take PPM input as well. That way we could get a bare-bones board available for a couple dollars, which can be used as a platform for a universal protocol board, with the capabilities dependent on which extras you attach.

The problem is that I have a huge backlog of stuff to do right now (in no particular order):
1) Finish the Frsky stuff
2) Port to Devo7e
3) Import suvsuv's 'Simplified' GUI
4) Create Devo8 version of simplified GUI
5) Support Devo7
6) support a 'full custom' tx (allowing use of virtually any transmitter shell)
7) Support Devo12
8) Universal SPI module
9) AnyLink protocol support
10) Other protocols

Before anyone asks, I have no time frames for any of the above, nor am I willing to share what order I'll work on them. (1) and (3) are well underway and will likely be done soon. Otherwise, I am not interested in feedback on whether these are worthy projects or which you (or anyone) is most interested in. It is just meant to give an idea of what types of things may be coming in the near or distant future.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:44 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhracturedBlue View Post
Yes, that is the module I'm working with (well, I have that one, but am currently using one without a PA for testing). I assume you can't get China Post to your location?
Once I have things working, I could probably order one and ship it to you. My shipping cost to Romania is only $1.25 according to the USPS. It'd take a good long time to get from China to here to Romania, but it'd be pretty cheap.
Otherwise, I am not interested in feedback on whether these are worthy projects or which you (or anyone) is most interested in. It is just meant to give an idea of what types of things may be coming in the near or distant future.
Indeed, no China Post. I will appreciate any help I can get. But, looks like SadSack above has a link to a vendor shipping with HK Post, which is reasonably cheap and fast. I will order one just to have it handy.

Please don't even remotely feel pressured in any way (I know you aren't). I was just sharing, not asking nor demanding. Thanks for the info tough.
Last edited by sbstnp; Dec 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:46 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadSack View Post
Yes, thank you.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
The Big Kahuna of Foam.
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
1,170 Posts
So does anyone know if DSMX is working?
bkahuna is offline Find More Posts by bkahuna
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
23 Posts
Hitec AFHSS use TI CC2500 like the FrSky. And the hobbyking sells compartible receivers.

Another reason for the TI CC2500 support :-)
donato.jun is offline Find More Posts by donato.jun
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahuna View Post
So does anyone know if DSMX is working?
Yes work very well :-) (they are now only in experimental builds)
donato.jun is offline Find More Posts by donato.jun
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:44 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Apr 2008
943 Posts
Please prioritize list item 7 to number 1.
Kerbob is offline Find More Posts by Kerbob
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:06 AM
...muy bien...
Germany, BW, Pforzheim
Joined Jul 2012
186 Posts
Don't you...
Bad boy!
rcgchris is offline Find More Posts by rcgchris
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:25 AM
Heli Crash Survivor
United States, AR, North Little Rock